SND ACME-4 Advanced Clock Management Engine

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:15 am

What do you use as master clock ?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 am

i am using an ERM Multiclock - AND i got it sorted. the timing coming out was wrong. after using these together for about four hours i am so happy with the results. in fact i feel like i am finally in a "lane" i have never been able to achieve in the past. like shifting gears
Last edited by groovar on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:16 am

How would you compare the SND to the Multiclock ?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:07 pm

As of right now they basically feel like digital versus analog, I know that's a basic description but honestly I love them both for different things. I have the multi clock running most of the newer sequencers and the SND controlling most of the older sequencers and so far a nice harmony is achieved. It's incredibly refreshing to be able to start and stop and edit without stopping the master clock and feeling everything come back into sync after a couple bars. These both seem like really solid equipment I'm going to get into it more this weekend

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Post by arcanius » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:34 am

anyone here using the acme editor?

i m having some trouble connecting it to my mac (os 10.14.5)

does not show up at all, not on the audio midi app, not on system info usb page... any help would be amazing

i've email them and it;s been over a month no luck...

thanks in advance
its all a party !

Bots
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Bots » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 am

Hi, have the same problem with my ACME-4.
Don't show up in midi app or in Pro tools.
Can somebody help me with a ACME-4?

Thanks Bas

arcanius wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:34 am

does not show up at all, not on the audio midi app, not on system info usb page... any help would be amazing

thanks in advance

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by arcanius » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Bots wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks Bas

arcanius wrote:

thanks in advance
hey Bas,

i saw your pm, however answering here might help other people somehow...

i've sent them an email or two unfortunately still no answer, planning to send them another email, but that doesnt seem promising...
some stuff i was able to work around, such as the offsets, or midi/din preferences, all the details are on the manual...
however i am stuck with the 12 presets, cant change them, i'm quite happy with most of them, but i would like to experiment with some new settings.

the thing is, its not acme, it is the computer that is creating the connection problem.
because i was able to connect to a different computer at one point in my friends studio session with the same acme, however that computer is in a different country and i dont have access to it anymore to test things again...
if you find an old os maybe that might help...
its all a party !

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:12 am

arcanius wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:32 pm
Bots wrote:

Thanks Bas

arcanius wrote:

thanks in advance
hey Bas,

i've sent them an email or two unfortunately still no answer, planning to send them another email, but that doesnt seem promising...
some stuff i was able to work around, such as the offsets, or midi/din preferences, all the details are on the manual...
however i am stuck with the 12 presets, cant change them, i'm quite happy with most of them, but i would like to experiment with some new settings.

the thing is, its not acme, it is the computer that is creating the connection problem.
because i was able to connect to a different computer at one point in my friends studio session with the same acme, however that computer is in a different country and i dont have access to it anymore to test things again...
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I saw last week my ACME is not up to date so have to change that in 1.7 or higher.
I sent them a mail and got an answer with the update files!
BUT i can't update because my mac(10.13.6) don't reconised the ACME :-(...

Do you know what OS your friend use?

Thanks Bas

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Re: SND ACME-4 Advanced Clock Management Engine

Post by drxcm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:12 pm

any idea what the new firmware 1.7 does?
do i need it if it's all working well?
are there new features?

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Post by arcanius » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 am

Bots wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:12 am
arcanius wrote:
Bots wrote:

Thanks Bas

arcanius wrote:

thanks in advance
hey Bas,

I saw last week my ACME is not up to date so have to change that in 1.7 or higher.

Thanks Bas

hey,

unfortunately i dont remember what the os was, but it was not an ancient one, probably around 10.13/10.14 maybe 10.12 he is usually quite up to date...
I've just sent them another email, lets see if i get a reply back. also are you using the email on the website? just making sure...

actually if you are in contact with them thru email, maybe just ask them about if there is a driver that we need to install, or anything else, whatever works...
i m not 100% on this, but mac os with one of the recent updates got a little weird in the audio/midi territory, and this maybe be the reason.
Let me know if you get any news please :)
:guinness:
its all a party !

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:02 am

arcanius wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 am
Bots wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:12 am
arcanius wrote:
Bots wrote:

Thanks Bas

arcanius wrote:

thanks in advance
hey Bas,

Thanks Bas

hey,

unfortunately i dont remember what the os was, but it was not an ancient one, probably around 10.13/10.14 maybe 10.12 he is usually quite up to date...
I've just sent them another email, lets see if i get a reply back. also are you using the email on the website? just making sure...

actually if you are in contact with them thru email, maybe just ask them about if there is a driver that we need to install, or anything else, whatever works...
i m not 100% on this, but mac os with one of the recent updates got a little weird in the audio/midi territory, and this maybe be the reason.
Let me know if you get any news please :)
Hi, yes i'm using the email on the website..
I've got an update file and i can sent it to you if you want!?
I've tried to udate the ACME with MAC and PC but didn't work..
So it's not connecting to my computer so try to use it as a slave but it's allway's start to late with the rest of my sequencers so at the moment it's useless for me :-( Somebody any ideas?

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:42 am

Hi, can somebody please tell me why the ACME-4 not start immediately when i sent an external clock?
It allways start 1 or 2 seconds later, the same when use it as a master..

Thanks!

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:00 am

Count in is required to play sync'd devices early in the sequence. Part of the design. Just record one extra loop at start.

crowhurst
Common Wiggler

Post by crowhurst » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:19 am

Maybe this might help?

"4.2 Measure
This control is used to select the measure, which needs to be set for the ACME-4 to start at the
right moment. It always starts with a lead-in of one bar, otherwise it would not be possible to shift
clock channels ahead in time (sorry, we did not succed in building a time-travel device ...). The only
exception is the 16/8th measure where the lead-in is only half a bar (8/8th) long." (from ACME-4 owners manual)

You can see that sort of behaviour within this video also:

[EDIT: oops, was too late, sorry - please see previous post]

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:14 pm

Ok thanks for the help!

sqwibz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqwibz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:16 pm

I'm not able to open the editor. I downloaded java on windows 10 64 and 32 bit versions. But I was unable to open up the .jar file. I tried to open it with Java SE but it was a no go. Tried it on a new MacBook Pro and an old netbook running WinXP 32 bit. Still nothing. I was able to unzip the file, with winzip but, since there is no installer, I'm not sure where to go from here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

sqwibz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sqwibz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm

Got it to run on the MacBook. Is this mac OS only? Anyone running the editor on Windows 10?

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:39 am

sqwibz wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm
Got it to run on the MacBook. Is this mac OS only? Anyone running the editor on Windows 10?
Hi, what OS did you use on Macbook?

Kazremark
Common Wiggler

Post by Kazremark » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:34 pm

This has not been working on the last few versions of macOS for me. Sebastian isn’t exactly helpful when he does respond to emails. Kind of BS for how much he charged for these boxes especially when they were first shipping, I have a very low serial number.

Kazremark
Common Wiggler

Post by Kazremark » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Does your acme-4 appear as a midi interface in macOS. Mine doesn't anymore, but pretty sure it did in the past?

arcanius
Common Wiggler

Post by arcanius » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 am

sqwibz wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm
hey, could you please let us know which os your mac is running ?
which version of the editor, basically all the details hehehe, thanks :)

its all a party !

skkatter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by skkatter » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:13 am

Kazremark wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:34 pm
This has not been working on the last few versions of macOS for me. Sebastian isn’t exactly helpful when he does respond to emails. Kind of BS for how much he charged for these boxes especially when they were first shipping, I have a very low serial number.
I'm using MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and I managed to get the ACME-4 to show up as a USB device. I'm on a MacBook Pro that uses USB-C and I had to try about two or three USB-A to USB-C adaptors before the ACME-4 showed as connected.

To verify it's actually connected on OSX run this command while in the terminal window and you should see "ACME-4" as one of the devices listed:

ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 | sed 's/[^o]*o //; s/@.*$//' | grep -v '^Root.*'

However, the ACME-4 Editor java program isn't stable on this version of OSX. I got a lot of "ACME-4 isn't responding" timeout type messages but I just kept clicking OK to get of that constant pop up message and I managed to get the settings on the ACME-4 changed. However not working as it should and definitely not ideal.

I was completely unable to get the ACME showing up as a connected USB device to my PC running Windows 10. I think this is a USB class compliant bug with Windows 10 but after about 15 minutes trying I gave up and just used the Mac.

A rather frustrating experience for an expensive device that works very well in most other ways.

Seaweed Sound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Seaweed Sound » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Also not impressed with the SND support for such a premium priced device with a 5 year warranty.

I inquired about adding a 24ppqn clock setting to the TRS analog clk outputs so you could use an adapter cable to get an extra 2x dinsync outputs. Dude tried to sell me on buying another ACME unit.. yeah no thanks

Okay to be fair that was a feature request and not a flaw.

In any case SND should def fix the broken Java editor or maybe even replace it with a web editor like the Expert Sleepers FH-2

phollebon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phollebon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 am

skkatter wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:13 am

I'm using MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and I managed to get the ACME-4 to show up as a USB device. I'm on a MacBook Pro that uses USB-C and I had to try about two or three USB-A to USB-C adaptors before the ACME-4 showed as connected.

However, the ACME-4 Editor java program isn't stable on this version of OSX. I got a lot of "ACME-4 isn't responding" timeout type messages but I just kept clicking OK to get of that constant pop up message and I managed to get the settings on the ACME-4 changed. However not working as it should and definitely not ideal.
Just received an ACME-4 and thought I'd report that the Swing Pattern Editor functions perfectly and device connectivity is 100% stable. Currently running Catalina (v10.15.6) but Java shouldn't be too fussy about the underlying OS. That said, my MacBook Pro does have a couple of USB 3 ports and from your comments I suspect that the USB-C adapter may still be at fault. I experienced similar time out issues between USB 2 devices and my iPad Pro with a variety of USB-C 'on-the-go' adapters until I (somewhat reluctantly...) invested in an original Apple manufactured adapter.

Hope this helps and you finally get to the bottom of it. :tu:

nikarga
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nikarga » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:48 am

So...

Did SND address the issues above regarding the later iterations of Mac OS?

I'm about to fork out on one and currently running a loaded 2019 MacBook Pro with 10.15.7.
Wondering if I should pick up the Multiclock instead.

At the moment I'm rejigging the studio and its a huge ball ache trying to get everything to run in sync:

Cirklon is the brain.
Midi channel 1 output goes into an iConnectMidi4+ which then distributes to the Octatrack, MD and MnM.
Channel 2 goes into a Tempest
Channels 3,4,5 go into a Voyager, OB6 and GRP A4... I also want to connect a TVS, Avalon baseline and other bits and bobs.

Crklon CVIO sends out S-trigs to some older 5U.

Using Ableton Live as a glorified recorder only and been monitoring through the audio interface (UAD Apollo).

Ideally I'd love the Cirklon, iConnectMidi4+, Ableton & SND (or E-RM) to bridge the connection between all...
Am I thinking about this the right way?

Thanks all! :hail: :sb: :omg:
Live for gear...

Return to “General Gear”