Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm

i need to do this to my cirklon too

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Panason wrote:Good to read!
As fas as I've seen, Cenk does minimal techno using Elektron's favoured workflow, which is to have one pattern looping for a long time and tweaking FX , filters and re-triggers, etc. This is why Elektron's sequencers continue to not have one -finger pattern selection, because Cenk and those who do similar abstract stuff don't need to change patterns very often.

Meh, I think he uses one box as the master and changes patterns from there. There is some repetition there, but there is constant movement. I don't know what you'd classify the genre as, I don't really keep up with that and I feel like there is some variety in his sets (some electro, some DnB, etc). But, like it or not, my point was his mastery of the instruments and the fluid nature in which he manipulates the piece to keep a consistent theme while never being overly repetitive and create a constant sense of moving forward. And transitions between pieces is uninterrupted and seamless. This has always been my struggle with electronic music, even with a structured format, it is a much different approach than the verse chorus approach of rock and roll and other more traditional genres. I guess I know nothing about electronic music theory haha. But I feel like I have never grasped how to created a unified piece that relies on certain recurring themes but is not profoundly repetitive and stagnant. I'm always vascillating between repetitive and completely disjointed. And this is in a studio setting, forget adding the complexity of reproducing it in a live context. I think he does it well. And in terms of playing music for people to dance to, I feel like he does that well too. I grew up sneaking out to go to the clubs of Athens from my early teens. My cousin was a club rat, and even from a young age had a lot of connections. We never got involved with club drugs, etc, but we definitely would throw back a few drinks and dance our faces off. I feel like a set from Cenk wouldn't be out of place (though I feel like he has gotten a little more abstract with time).

Anyways, all that is somewhat off topic I guess, but my point is I feel like the Cirklon could do all this from one central location. I still have a lot to master. Maybe theres a way to set up a MIDI controller to help move through different scenes or whatever.

As an aside I have a 16n faderbank that I was going to use with my ER-301 until I just gave up on the 301 (ha, I'm a prick I know). I keep thinking I'll look into setting it up to add functionality to Cirklon somehow, or maybe the Octatrack. We'll see if that ever happens.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:10 am

chiasticon wrote:
but... does one handed pattern selection = one finger pattern selection...? I mean, it does take two button presses. but you can probably re-use the same finger for it.

if you want this from the Cirklon, by the way, you'll be disappointed.
Yes, I mean go into pattern mode (which should stay active and not time out :doh: :doh: :doh: i bet they thought that's really clever ) and hit one of the 16 buttons to launch a pattern from the currently selected bank. Not a button combo!

I would be very surprised if the Cirklon doesn't offer this??????? It is a standard feature on pretty much any pattern based machine other than Elektron, who are the only ones able to complicate such a simple thing.
In a way I hope the Cirklon has the same issue, so I can really cross it off my shopping list! :confused:

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 am

Last edited by chiasticon on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 am

Panason wrote:I would be very surprised if the Cirklon doesn't offer this???????
sorry I got confused on discussing patterns versus scenes... what you're after is a scene selection mode, which it has. you can select from sixteen at once using the encoders, and the display shows each pattern's name. section 4-10 of the manual. patterns for a track (within a scene) have to be selected with the value encoder.
thisoldhouse wrote:Not the same as showing track names (though could be used for same purpose) but you can see the name of each pattern currently playing on each track of one bank if you just press and release ROW encoder when in TRACK mode. you can press BAR to view other banks patterns.
well that's something! thanks!

by the way, where does one learn about any new features past the V1.11 manual? edit: looks like the best source is this revision history list?

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:48 am

by the way, where does one learn about any new features past the V1.11 manual? edit: looks like the best source is [url=http://files.sequentix.com/cirkos-revis ... -v1.08.txt]this revision history list?
Yeah that’s really the only place I think to see what’s been added.

There is the wiki with short cuts that helps me to review since it’s easy to forget ones I don’t use regularly, not sure how frequently it’s updated http://wiki.sequentix.com//index.php?title=Commands

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by (((EMP))) » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Preliminary version of an updated manual:

http://files.sequentix.com/cirklon-manu ... -draft.pdf

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:37 pm