Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by spudboyblues » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:41 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 am

Be as skeptical as you want. But I don't know why you are basing your views on this thread, the place to track things is the Sequentix forum. Honestly you seem to think they are Apple, Yamaha or Korg. Many boutique manufacturers have long lead times and are not that commercial. Macbeth is one company that come to mind, there are quite a few others, and as far as I can tell there are many 4U and 5U module companies in the same boat. These companies are not your water or electricity utilities. They have no obligation to provide you anything. They are boutique companies with limited means. No one forces you to use a Cirklon and you can make music without one. This may not be the way you think but I've never understood the aggravation.

Looks like you are getting close.
I'm not basing my views on this thread - I'm basing my views on Sequentix emailing me bi-annually to tell me it's "just another 6 months" or "we expect to get to your order by this fall" and it never materializing. Being a eurorack user, and someone who buys boutique equipment, I do not have any expectation to get things quickly, or any specific demands on companies to churn things out like Apple or Korg or whomever. I do expect clear communication, and there are many boutique manufacturers who provide that as a baseline.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 pm

spudboyblues wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:41 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 am

Be as skeptical as you want. But I don't know why you are basing your views on this thread, the place to track things is the Sequentix forum. Honestly you seem to think they are Apple, Yamaha or Korg. Many boutique manufacturers have long lead times and are not that commercial. Macbeth is one company that come to mind, there are quite a few others, and as far as I can tell there are many 4U and 5U module companies in the same boat. These companies are not your water or electricity utilities. They have no obligation to provide you anything. They are boutique companies with limited means. No one forces you to use a Cirklon and you can make music without one. This may not be the way you think but I've never understood the aggravation.

Looks like you are getting close.
I'm not basing my views on this thread - I'm basing my views on Sequentix emailing me bi-annually to tell me it's "just another 6 months" or "we expect to get to your order by this fall" and it never materializing. Being a eurorack user, and someone who buys boutique equipment, I do not have any expectation to get things quickly, or any specific demands on companies to churn things out like Apple or Korg or whomever. I do expect clear communication, and there are many boutique manufacturers who provide that as a baseline.
On the one hand I feel their communication could be better, on the other hand assuming they likely have at least 1,000 people on the wait list emailing 1,000 people individually every month to tell them there is no good news seems like a lot of work for nothing to me. I seem to have been able to maintain a pretty good understanding of the delays and the reasons for them. It's pretty obvious to me why the "just another six months" ended up being wrong. I'm sure it has hurt them more than it has hurt you.

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm

They could easily be more transparent.

Eg give you an order number on the waitlist and do a mailer every month saying this month we shipped order numbers x to y.

What I find more frustrating than the waitlist is the near zero response to emails when sent. It’s actually kind of rude. I’ve been a good customer of Sequentix for years and the least they could do would be reply!

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:16 pm

I'm just not sure how the Cirkon is better than an Elektron sequencer for **many** people. Especially for things like writing songs. The Cirklon is amazing at what it does, but it's just one of several possibilities. It seems better for heavy percussive and modular noodling. Better for dance music as well? Tell me why I'm wrong. I can buy one right now as my turn is up.

softroom
Common Wiggler

Post by softroom » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 am

donato wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:16 pm
I'm just not sure how the Cirkon is better than an Elektron sequencer for **many** people. Especially for things like writing songs. The Cirklon is amazing at what it does, but it's just one of several possibilities. It seems better for heavy percussive and modular noodling. Better for dance music as well? Tell me why I'm wrong. I can buy one right now as my turn is up.
For writing songs, Cirklon gives you realtime MIDI recording, bar length up to you, capturing your polyphonic keyboard performance, MIDI CCs etc. You save these into scenes and play the scenes in sequence to make a song. Of the Elektron gear, only the Octatrack comes close to that - but without the freedom to simply play and record. It's more like having the power of an Atari ST in hardware for song creation, although it lacks a timeline/arrange window of a more modern DAW. If you ever used Dr T's KCS, its song creation has many parallels.
Alongside of which you get all the fruity step sequencer stuff. I was actually trying to work out last night how to make a pattern on my Digitone do a Cirklon/P3 trick, which is to let a pattern play four times before automatically beginning to introduce notes which would then play for the duration of the pattern. Haven't sussed it yet though. For some of us, Cirklon bestows abilities you maybe never realised you wanted - but once used to them, you won't give them up lightly.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:35 am

drxcm wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm
They could easily be more transparent.

Eg give you an order number on the waitlist and do a mailer every month saying this month we shipped order numbers x to y.

What I find more frustrating than the waitlist is the near zero response to emails when sent. It’s actually kind of rude. I’ve been a good customer of Sequentix for years and the least they could do would be reply!
Weird, I've had replies to all my emails.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 am

donato wrote:
That you're wrong about what? No one forces you to buy it. I don't understand your question. You say it is amazing for what it does. What does that even mean? What is heavy percussion and modular noodling? I hate Elektrons but other people love them. I don't think it takes much effort for anyone who is familiar with sequencing to see what is different. Here's a tip, if you don't know what you are buying pass it up and let someone else have it. Now I know what Nelson Baboon was talking about.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:32 am

softroom wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 am
donato wrote:
For writing songs, Cirklon gives you realtime MIDI recording, bar length up to you, capturing your polyphonic keyboard performance, MIDI CCs etc. You save these into scenes and play the scenes in sequence to make a song. Of the Elektron gear, only the Octatrack comes close to that - but without the freedom to simply play and record. It's more like having the power of an Atari ST in hardware for song creation, although it lacks a timeline/arrange window of a more modern DAW. If you ever used Dr T's KCS, its song creation has many parallels.
Alongside of which you get all the fruity step sequencer stuff. I was actually trying to work out last night how to make a pattern on my Digitone do a Cirklon/P3 trick, which is to let a pattern play four times before automatically beginning to introduce notes which would then play for the duration of the pattern. Haven't sussed it yet though. For some of us, Cirklon bestows abilities you maybe never realised you wanted - but once used to them, you won't give them up lightly.
Thanks for your post. I’ve owned many Elektrons in the past and I think if I go down the hardware sequencer road again that’s the one I’d go with. I don’t know what the Octatrack has over the A4for external sequencing however since the A4 has external midi sequencing these days.

I think your last sentence is why i the Cirklon keeps me potentially interested. Every HW sequencer I’ve owned (Elektron MD/MM/RYTM/AK, SEQ, Deluge, etc.) has always had a slightly different workflow than expected in the sense that you use some features more than you thought you would or vice versa.
Last edited by donato on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 am
donato wrote:
That you're wrong about what? No one forces you to buy it. I don't understand your question. You say it is amazing for what it does. What does that even mean? What is heavy percussion and modular noodling? I hate Elektrons but other people love them. I don't think it takes much effort for anyone who is familiar with sequencing to see what is different. Here's a tip, if you don't know what you are buying pass it up and let someone else have it. Now I know what Nelson Baboon was talking about.
Congrats. You managed to be condescending without being helpful in any way. Here’s a tip- maybe don’t post on message boards if your only goal is to be a jerk to make your own miserable life seem better.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 am

donato wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 am
dubonaire wrote:
donato wrote:
Congrats. You managed to be condescending without being helpful in any way. Here’s a tip- maybe don’t post on message boards if your only goal is to be a jerk to make your own miserable life seem better.
do you think that there has ever been a single person who had that as a goal? "hmmmm, the only thing I want here is to be a jerk, and to make my own miserable life seem better"? this seems like one of the greatest self-contradictory statements I've heard in some time. Oh, wait....

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 pm

donato wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 am
dubonaire wrote:
donato wrote:
I honestly did not understand what it was that you were asking or saying. I really dislike Elektron sequencers. I've tried the Octatrack and the Digitone. So for me the Cirklon is much better to use. Also the Cirklon is a sequencer and nothing else, and it is particularly suited to being the centre of a hardware studio with its extensive I/O, especially if you want tight MIDI control and have a large modular. So I don't think they are all that comparable. I can't speak for the decisions other Cirklon owners made, but the functionality that makes Cirklon the best choice for me is obvious. You have to look at your own situation, compare features, and work out which would be best for you.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 pm

I suppose I find the discussion about relative sequencer merits to be interesting, but I suppose I get too annoyed when people don't get that so much of the decision is subjective, based on what and how you like to work, and your understanding and preference of the different features.

If I had Dubonaire's priorities, and if I added my appreciation of the abstract merits of the aux events, the cirklon would be a no brainer. but (and this has been challenged) what I see is people who want the Cirklon based on some notion that it is 'the best'.

I mean - damn. some people would do just as well or better with a beatstep pro, or the elektron sequencers. I mean - I do not connect with elektron stuff, but the parameter locks are pretty fucking cool....

I made the 'mistake' of trying out a cirklon (after owning a p3 originally) some years ago, since I LOVE the notion of the aux events....but for the way that I like to play and improvise, I didn't get on with them. For modulation, not needing the studio control aspects of the cirklon, the modulation capabilities of the schrittmacher (never mentioned in these comparisons except by me), reigns supreme. But then even I get frustrated by its limitations.

Every implementation of a finite feature set has limitations, and almost everyone who really explores the features runs into some frustration.....

It used to be somewhat of a cliche, but I still believe it: the ultimate sequencer is multiple sequencers.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Personally I love the Elektron workflow, for what it is, but moved to the Cirklon for several reasons. One being I really like the step repeat functions for rhythmic sequencing, but hated that the Elektrons could not transmit it over MIDI. Having a need for the connectivity as well, and wanting to explore the aux event functions, it was a no brainer for me. The Cirklon is not the only sequencer I use, and lately it's not even my most frequently used sequencer, but it is one that I'll probably keep in perpetuity. The big downside of this sequencer is that it is less immediate than some for very specific functions. It can do the Elektron style sequencing with probability and step repeats, etc. But it takes more work to get there. Similarly the Five12 is more limited than the Cirklon, but the UI is built to do certain things much more efficiently than the Cirklon. And for recording and editing polyphonic sequences nothing is as good as a DAW for me. Otherwise I would rather use an MPC. But the Cirklon is capable of doing so, nonetheless.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 pm
I suppose I find the discussion about relative sequencer merits to be interesting, but I suppose I get too annoyed when people don't get that so much of the decision is subjective, based on what and how you like to work, and your understanding and preference of the different features.

If I had Dubonaire's priorities, and if I added my appreciation of the abstract merits of the aux events, the cirklon would be a no brainer. but (and this has been challenged) what I see is people who want the Cirklon based on some notion that it is 'the best'.

I mean - damn. some people would do just as well or better with a beatstep pro, or the elektron sequencers. I mean - I do not connect with elektron stuff, but the parameter locks are pretty fucking cool....

I made the 'mistake' of trying out a cirklon (after owning a p3 originally) some years ago, since I LOVE the notion of the aux events....but for the way that I like to play and improvise, I didn't get on with them. For modulation, not needing the studio control aspects of the cirklon, the modulation capabilities of the schrittmacher (never mentioned in these comparisons except by me), reigns supreme. But then even I get frustrated by its limitations.

Every implementation of a finite feature set has limitations, and almost everyone who really explores the features runs into some frustration.....

It used to be somewhat of a cliche, but I still believe it: the ultimate sequencer is multiple sequencers.
I agree. I have two sequencers in my Eurorack case along with some other modules that can be used to sequence. I also have a Keystep, the sequencer on my SP16 and the sequencers in my rev2, as well as in another 7 desktop boxes. I use them all at various times in various combinations.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:28 pm
One being I really like the step repeat functions for rhythmic sequencing..
Hey Sinamsis, can you elaborate a bit please? Is it like the retrigger on the Elektrons where you can set the division value? Never stumbled across this function, sounds interesting, especially if you can modulate the division value with a random AUX

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am

arnoux wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Hey Sinamsis, can you elaborate a bit please? Is it like the retrigger on the Elektrons where you can set the division value? Never stumbled across this function, sounds interesting, especially if you can modulate the division value with a random AUX
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes. But it has a second parameter that allows you to increase or decrease velocity or note value with each note which is helpful in creating quick rolls and flams as well as melodic stuff. Will try to post video later.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:38 pm

You can hear it in the drums and the melodic component.

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am
arnoux wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes. But it has a second parameter that allows you to increase or decrease velocity or note value with each note which is helpful in creating quick rolls and flams as well as melodic stuff. Will try to post video later.
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes.
there are a few different ways of setting up repeats alright, there's a whole section of them. Sinamsis, I think the one you're referring to here is called "rep*n by length". You can set the number of repeats, and the velocity/note of the repeats. One extra thing to point out is the "division value" - it's the length of the note. If you want the repeats to go faster you can decrease the length of the notes.

Any of these values can be modulated by an aux, the number of repeats, the velocity/notes of the repeats and or the length of the notes. Once you setup the note repeat and the velocity repeat you only have two aux slots left, but you can use another track with the same midi destination if you want to setup auxes to modulate other destinations.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're asking arnoux. There's a section on Repeat Events in the manual here

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 pm

beatcleaver wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am
arnoux wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes.
there are a few different ways of setting up repeats alright, there's a whole section of them. Sinamsis, I think the one you're referring to here is called "rep*n by length". You can set the number of repeats, and the velocity/note of the repeats. One extra thing to point out is the "division value" - it's the length of the note. If you want the repeats to go faster you can decrease the length of the notes.

Any of these values can be modulated by an aux, the number of repeats, the velocity/notes of the repeats and or the length of the notes. Once you setup the note repeat and the velocity repeat you only have two aux slots left, but you can use another track with the same midi destination if you want to setup auxes to modulate other destinations.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're asking arnoux. There's a section on Repeat Events in the manual here
Yes, in the Elektron terminology it's called retrig. And yes that's what I usually use. I don't usually modulate it further with other aux events as I find there's so much control there already. Although I have explored using random masks to mask the repeat without masking the step all together. Ha I don't recall if I was successful in this endeavor or not.In the end it's much more flexible, but less immediate than the retrig function in the Elektrons.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:28 pm

The other cool functionality of the note repeats is you can add note and velocity offsets for each repeat so repeats can go up and down the scale or velocity.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 am

Did not realize you can modulate note repeats with other auxes, will have to try that!

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:58 pm

I've seen several posts recently (not just here) asking why the cirklon is considered king, or asking what makes it so special or why people wax lyrical about it.

I've probably written this before but to repeat myself and expand a little:

For me its very simple; there are three main reasons why I will always use the cirklon as my main sequencer: scope, workflow and reliability.

Firstly, in terms of scope, i've never had a musical sequencing idea in my head or on paper which I wasn't able to execute using the cirklon. At first, certain things seem like they might not be possible, but the more you learn, the more you find (usually) multiple ways of doing anything you want to. Initially I thought I couldn't program notes to occur only on every other or every third play through (a la elektron) but not only is this possible, it can be randomised further, or dependent on other qualifying events occurring through use of the accumulators and various aux functions. As has been mentioned recently, the number of different ratcheting options is unmatched -you can ratchet any which way you like, controlling the speed, number, duration, velocity and pitch of all ratchets - then put it under random, or accumulator control - or even control when it happens in real time by wiggling a knob - its really quite mind boggling the number of ways you can incrementally, mathematically or randomly change sequences as they progress and repeat.

As an addendum to the scope of the machine I would add that its also an incredibly powerful midi routing device and a highly accurate midi to cv convertor with full calibration possibilities.

Secondly, with workflow - this thing is kind of like the antithesis of something like an MPC live. When you first look at an MC live, the screen and buttons make it seem like anything will be possible in the blink of an eye. Only when you start using it do you realise it has been designed and programmed by very competent computer programmers who have never made any music in their lives. Everything is awkward and takes more button presses or menu navigating than it has any right to take. Everything is possible eventually, but jeez they make you work for it. By contrast the cirklon at first glance looks like some nonsense 80s video editing hardware found only in a tv studio - many of the button labels barely make sense out of context. But once you start using it and muscle memory sets in, the workflow is quite ingenious. The method of creating variations on patterns can only be described as perfectly refined and then building a song from patterns can be done in seconds. For a long time the only thing at all that frustrated me about the workflow was the seeming inability to loop one bar of a much longer pattern to facilitate rapid editing - then I found out it can be done easily. I've never used a piece of equipment before which so easily and competently expedites what you want to accomplish.

Finally, reliability-wise - this thing just ticks properly. Every single other sequencer or hardware clocking device i've used has some kind of quirk or glitch, or particular way it needs to be used in order for it to work somewhere near properly. The cirklon just fires a perfectly accurate clock to everything in my studio - numerous midi synths, a few groove boxes and the daw (the modular is clocked via expert sleepers running on the daw, synced to the cirklon - nice to be able to slide the clocks back and forth because the modular devices are all unreliable in some way or other). One of my encoders broke once and Colin replaced the entire encoder board for free, immediately, without me sending the defective board back at all.

So yeah, thats why i really fucking love this thing. I have been guilty of fanboying over certain things in the past (haven't most of us), but this is genuinely the one bit of kit which has never disappointed me and i project i will always use it as my main sequencer. No other sequencer has come anywhere near close, always failing in at least one of the categories above (an more often than not failing in all three to be honest).

As a final bit, here's a one take jam sequenced with the cirklon which I recorded over the weekend. It probably took me around 4-5 hours up until the point of recording, then a bit of mixing and mastering afterwards. But i think that's a pretty fast workflow. Kit being sequenced by the cirklon is a Novation Summit, an Intellijel Rubicon/dixie pair, a Furthrrrr generator, an Intellijel Plonk and an Akemie's castle. The cirklon is firing a few different CVs into the modular to open VCA matrices and stuff like that. There's also an MPC being clocked by the cirklon.

(ophthalmologists in'a house :wookie: )
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:09 pm

ah - you used the term "fanboy". I was going to try to restrain myself.

sorry, but other people have different experiences. It's not worth laboring through all of this again. I haven't had reliability issues with other sequencers that I can remember. I did find the Cirklon to be a royal pain in the ass for setting up complicated modulations that I wanted to edit on the fly in an improvisory context. I find the Schrittmacher to be orders of magnitude faster and easier. The Cirklon, for sure, has MORE algorithmic type functions in it - but damn. I just didn't have fun with the damn thing.

For the exact way that you like to work, it sounds like the Cirklon is perfect. Curiously, there are people who love sequencers, have lots of experience with them, and just don't get on with the Cirklon. I suppose that you can tell a fanboy by the degree to which they are puzzled by people who don't like their favorite instruments, for instance, Elektron people are often like that.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:09 pm
ah - you used the term "fanboy". I was going to try to restrain myself.

sorry, but other people have different experiences. It's not worth laboring through all of this again. I haven't had reliability issues with other sequencers that I can remember. I did find the Cirklon to be a royal pain in the ass for setting up complicated modulations that I wanted to edit on the fly in an improvisory context. I find the Schrittmacher to be orders of magnitude faster and easier. The Cirklon, for sure, has MORE algorithmic type functions in it - but damn. I just didn't have fun with the damn thing.

For the exact way that you like to work, it sounds like the Cirklon is perfect. Curiously, there are people who love sequencers, have lots of experience with them, and just don't get on with the Cirklon. I suppose that you can tell a fanboy by the degree to which they are puzzled by people who don't like their favorite instruments, for instance, Elektron people are often like that.
Oh absolutely Nelson, and this place exists so people can get a variety of considered perspectives on niche gear. It’s very important that negative impressions are added as much as positive ones.

Just my experience with the cirklon is one quite unlike any other piece of music gear I’ve ever used, so I definitely want other people to know that, in case it ends up being just as revolutionary for them. But I’m not trying to say it’s impossible to have a bad time with this thing; and I’m certainly not saying my opinion is more valid / important than yours.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

northerntao
Common Wiggler

Post by northerntao » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:58 pm

It’s amazing. Got mine in late 2016 after about a year wait. Took 3 years for the dmux to arrive. Communication is horrible, and estimates are way off. But its worth it. Waiting for news on the upgrade kits.

Return to “General Gear”