Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 pm

funny - with all of this talk, i find myself starting to think about trying one again. but I had forgotten about another issue that I had with it - i really had trouble with reading the display. That makes such a big difference. I grew up with good eyesight, which just isn't so great now, and you can tell which manufacturers have good vision! LOL - i'll bet that the person in charge of the Schrittmacher development was half blind....

Given that I will have a good selection of sequencers again, I don't mind so much in theory having to work out the aux events in a more systematic less improvisatory way. I generally would try out the cirklon as my main sequencer, and grow frustrated with it. But hell, I'm too old to put myself on a 15 year waiting list. If $ and availability of a used one coincide at some point, I might just succumb. It would be worth it just to hear Dubonaire call me a hypocrite.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 pm
funny - with all of this talk, i find myself starting to think about trying one again. but I had forgotten about another issue that I had with it - i really had trouble with reading the display. That makes such a big difference. I grew up with good eyesight, which just isn't so great now, and you can tell which manufacturers have good vision! LOL - i'll bet that the person in charge of the Schrittmacher development was half blind....

Given that I will have a good selection of sequencers again, I don't mind so much in theory having to work out the aux events in a more systematic less improvisatory way. I generally would try out the cirklon as my main sequencer, and grow frustrated with it. But hell, I'm too old to put myself on a 15 year waiting list. If $ and availability of a used one coincide at some point, I might just succumb. It would be worth it just to hear Dubonaire call me a hypocrite.
Cirklon 2 has a colour TFT screen which will probably solve that problem. If all goes well for them long waiting lists will be history, I hope that becomes reality.

I wouldn't call you a hypocrite. Nothing wrong with having strongly held views and then changing them, I think that's a strength rather than a weakness. I don't really see that as hypocrisy, which I think is more a moral thing than saying what is wrong with a piece of studio equipment but using it anyway, which is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Carrousel wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:58 pm
As a final bit, here's a one take jam sequenced with the cirklon which I recorded over the weekend.
Very nice Carrousel. Is the Summit doing the bassline?

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Cirklon 2 has a colour TFT screen which will probably solve that problem. If all goes well for them long waiting lists will be history, I hope that becomes reality.

I wouldn't call you a hypocrite. Nothing wrong with having strongly held views and then changing them, I think that's a strength rather than a weakness. I don't really see that as hypocrisy, which I think is more a moral thing than saying what is wrong with a piece of studio equipment but using it anyway, which is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things.
just want to stress that I was joking about you calling me a hypocrite.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:

just want to stress that I was joking about you calling me a hypocrite.
I realised that but wanted to make the point anyway.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:24 am

beatcleaver wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am
arnoux wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:28 pm
One being I really like the step repeat functions for rhythmic sequencing..
Hey Sinamsis, can you elaborate a bit please? Is it like the retrigger on the Elektrons where you can set the division value? Never stumbled across this function, sounds interesting, especially if you can modulate the division value with a random AUX
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes. But it has a second parameter that allows you to increase or decrease velocity or note value with each note which is helpful in creating quick rolls and flams as well as melodic stuff. Will try to post video later.
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes.
there are a few different ways of setting up repeats alright, there's a whole section of them. Sinamsis, I think the one you're referring to here is called "rep*n by length". You can set the number of repeats, and the velocity/note of the repeats. One extra thing to point out is the "division value" - it's the length of the note. If you want the repeats to go faster you can decrease the length of the notes.

Any of these values can be modulated by an aux, the number of repeats, the velocity/notes of the repeats and or the length of the notes. Once you setup the note repeat and the velocity repeat you only have two aux slots left, but you can use another track with the same midi destination if you want to setup auxes to modulate other destinations.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're asking arnoux. There's a section on Repeat Events in the manual here
Thanks for the very interesting conversation, yes beatcleaver, you centered the question.
After spending the evening around this concept I made good progress and finally my Cirklon is starting to do the things I imagined in my head when I bought it: very complex and intricate
polyrhythmics. Still a lot to learn and study but tonight was that ah-ah! moment!

A couple of things:

- on "repeat by lenght": if associated on "random step mute" apparently you wont get (randomly) skipped steps inside the repetitions (or am I missing something?), to have repetitions skipped or repetitions with random note values and random division values I use "step rep*n" in congunction to "set norm tbase", this configuration is fun:
AUX A = Rndmz aux B
AUX B = set norm tbase
AUX C = Rndmz note
AUX D = step rep*n
I happens tbase is changed while the step repetition is rolling so you have the "division value" modulated within the roll (hope this makes sense).

- no way I can understand how the numeric value of "set norm tbase" interacts with the main tbase of the track

- "AUX A = Rndmz aux B-C-D" function is truly nuts

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 am

arnoux wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:24 am
beatcleaver wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am
arnoux wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:28 pm
One being I really like the step repeat functions for rhythmic sequencing..
Hey Sinamsis, can you elaborate a bit please? Is it like the retrigger on the Elektrons where you can set the division value? Never stumbled across this function, sounds interesting, especially if you can modulate the division value with a random AUX
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes. But it has a second parameter that allows you to increase or decrease velocity or note value with each note which is helpful in creating quick rolls and flams as well as melodic stuff. Will try to post video later.
I mean the retrig function. Not certain but I suspect it can be modulated by auxes.
there are a few different ways of setting up repeats alright, there's a whole section of them. Sinamsis, I think the one you're referring to here is called "rep*n by length". You can set the number of repeats, and the velocity/note of the repeats. One extra thing to point out is the "division value" - it's the length of the note. If you want the repeats to go faster you can decrease the length of the notes.

Any of these values can be modulated by an aux, the number of repeats, the velocity/notes of the repeats and or the length of the notes. Once you setup the note repeat and the velocity repeat you only have two aux slots left, but you can use another track with the same midi destination if you want to setup auxes to modulate other destinations.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're asking arnoux. There's a section on Repeat Events in the manual here
Thanks for the very interesting conversation, yes beatcleaver, you centered the question.
After spending the evening around this concept I made good progress and finally my Cirklon is starting to do the things I imagined in my head when I bought it: very complex and intricate
polyrhythmics. Still a lot to learn and study but tonight was that ah-ah! moment!
Cool, I'm glad that helped.

arnoux wrote:

A couple of things:

- on "repeat by lenght": if associated on "random step mute" apparently you wont get (randomly) skipped steps inside the repetitions (or am I missing something?),
To skip steps entirely you can use the "Rnd Mask Gate" event. Or a useful one is "Mask gate,Kn~n" where you can mute certain notes when you turn the knob near a certain position. Do this for a few different notes and you can change up your pattern by moving one of the knobs around.

arnoux wrote:

to have repetitions skipped or repetitions with random note values and random division values I use "step rep*n" in congunction to "set norm tbase", this configuration is fun:
AUX A = Rndmz aux B
AUX B = set norm tbase
AUX C = Rndmz note
AUX D = step rep*n
I happens tbase is changed while the step repetition is rolling so you have the "division value" modulated within the roll (hope this makes sense).

- no way I can understand how the numeric value of "set norm tbase" interacts with the main tbase of the track

- "AUX A = Rndmz aux B-C-D" function is truly nuts
I've never used the "set norm tbase" event. I'll have to give it a try. If I understand you correctly, to get "random divisions" you can also randomize the length of the note so it will repeat at different divisions.

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 am

Given how much awesome stuff can be done with the A and B knob, I find the lack of external MIDI control of Knob values and Track Values to be the biggest thing I miss with the Cirklon. It would open up so many avenues of performance possibilities.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Carrousel wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:58 pm
As a final bit, here's a one take jam sequenced with the cirklon which I recorded over the weekend.
Very nice Carrousel. Is the Summit doing the bassline?
Thanks Dubonaire. It is indeed the Summit. I find it so good for really deep, soft bass sounds - the kind of sounds I’ve been trying to make for a long time but couldn’t manage until I got the Summit! I’ve made tons of basslines with it using one oscillator set to sine with a short plucky envelope stabbing the shape control to give a bit of transient with a nice sine body. No drive into the filter, then tiny bit of post filter distortion does the trick really nicely (the distortion circuit on the summit is so bloody good). I was using it in bi-timbral mode for this track and the other part provides the very reverby pad-like notes which come in at the very long breakdown.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 am

i'm curious - does the cirklon still limit the timing of notes to even values? I remember that at one time the range was limited (can't remember exactly what they were) but you couldn't choose some odd number of ticks for instance.....

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:02 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 am
i'm curious - does the cirklon still limit the timing of notes to even values? I remember that at one time the range was limited (can't remember exactly what they were) but you couldn't choose some odd number of ticks for instance.....
Not that I can see for either P3 or CK patterns. CK patterns are pretty free flowing piano roll type and unquantized by default. P3 patterns are the x0x like ones, but even there you can move the notes around with +/- delay values on each step.

Perhaps someone with a longer history with the Cirklon could comment but I don't remember seeing that kind of limitation.

The one limitation that does sometimes get in my way is that P3 patterns are limited to 64 steps (edit: it's 256 steps). I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere before I got it and was kind of disappointed with the arbitrary limit. It is the 21st century after all (and malloc() is hardly a new concept, ok I'm being snarky now! Cirklon software is generally top notch).
Last edited by beatcleaver on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 am

beatcleaver wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:02 am
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Not that I can see for either P3 or CK patterns. CK patterns are pretty free flowing piano roll type and unquantized by default. P3 patterns are the x0x like ones, but even there you can move the notes around with +/- delay values on each step.

Perhaps someone with a longer history with the Cirklon could comment but I don't remember seeing that kind of limitation.

The one limitation that does sometimes get in my way is that P3 patterns are limited to 64 steps. I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere before I got it and was kind of disappointed with the arbitrary limit. It is the 21st century after all (and malloc() is hardly a new concept, ok I'm being snarky now! Cirklon software is generally top notch).
moving the notes per step isn't really the same, at least I didn't find it so.

I also vaguely recall that there are limitations with the ck patterns which I didn't like, and didn't use them. Can't remember what they were. are all of the aux events available in the ck patterns?

one of the reasons (among others) that I liked the schrittmacher is that you could so easily set up a 'gate' sequence in which you could set the individual lengths with very fine granularity up to (from memory) 16 beats, and down to a tick or 2. and modulating velocity and other patterns can use their own gate patterns, etc.

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 am
beatcleaver wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

The one limitation that does sometimes get in my way is that P3 patterns are limited to 64 steps. I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere before I got it and was kind of disappointed with the arbitrary limit. It is the 21st century after all (and malloc() is hardly a new concept, ok I'm being snarky now! Cirklon software is generally top notch).
moving the notes per step isn't really the same, at least I didn't find it so.

I also vaguely recall that there are limitations with the ck patterns which I didn't like, and didn't use them. Can't remember what they were. are all of the aux events available in the ck patterns?
No. None of the aux events are available in the CK patterns, only in P3.
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 am
one of the reasons (among others) that I liked the schrittmacher is that you could so easily set up a 'gate' sequence in which you could set the individual lengths with very fine granularity up to (from memory) 16 beats, and down to a tick or 2. and modulating velocity and other patterns can use their own gate patterns, etc.
That does sounds quite useful.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 am

Angroc wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 am
Given how much awesome stuff can be done with the A and B knob, I find the lack of external MIDI control of Knob values and Track Values to be the biggest thing I miss with the Cirklon. It would open up so many avenues of performance possibilities.
I literally never use A B knobs. Partly because I’m an idiot. Partly because the shaft on the A pot was broken when I received it. I kept putting off replacing the pot and just glued the shaft back on (it was broken mid shaft). But it’s half assed and I’m going to replace the pot when I get the upgrade kit to install. Anyways what sort of stuff do you do with them?

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 am

beatcleaver wrote:

P3 patterns can be 16 bars long. So this is a limit of 256 steps, not 64.
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 am

Carrousel wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 am
beatcleaver wrote:

P3 patterns can be 16 bars long. So this is a limit of 256 steps, not 64.
doh, of course, don't know what I was thinking.

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 am
Angroc wrote:
I literally never use A B knobs. Partly because I’m an idiot. Partly because the shaft on the A pot was broken when I received it. I kept putting off replacing the pot and just glued the shaft back on (it was broken mid shaft). But it’s half assed and I’m going to replace the pot when I get the upgrade kit to install. Anyways what sort of stuff do you do with them?
The most obvious ones are just simple stuff like using them to control Track Values like Octave, Velocity% etc. Simple and fast to set up, and can give really fun results when tweaking while a sequence is running. I do this all the time (especially the octave one), but alas, I can only do this at a single track at a time.

Secondly, like other have mentioned, there's a whole slew of different auxes that will grab knob information, and use that for different effects. Don't have any examples at hand ATM, but I can get back to you on that. But honestly, I don't do stuff with the knobs too much either, simply because i am limited to a single track at a time. I find that extremely frustrating and limiting.

Also, whoever had the Cirklon before you (I am guessing from the way you put it it was second hand?) must have REALLY like the A knob, huh? :hihi:

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:37 pm

quick question for Cirklon masters...

this is probably a simple thing but...
when using a P3 pattern...
(edit: correction - a CK pattern)
i have a P3 pattern that i am using with a drum machine.
once you place a note, how do you go back and change the velocity of that note with the A knob setting?

if i set a note at, say...a velocity of 30 and then delete it...i can't change the velocity when placing a new note in the same place.
how do you clear and or just set a new velocity?

thanks for any help!
Last edited by SPIKE the Percussionist on Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi spike, from the way you’ve worded the question I think you mean ck pattern instead of p3 pattern? If so then after deleting the note you need to go into the menu and ‘clear muted notes’ (or delete muted notes?). Then you can place a new note with velocity set by knob A. The reason this has to happen is that deleting notes in ck pattern only muted them rather than deleting them

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Angroc wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:31 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 am
Angroc wrote:
The most obvious ones are just simple stuff like using them to control Track Values like Octave, Velocity% etc. Simple and fast to set up, and can give really fun results when tweaking while a sequence is running. I do this all the time (especially the octave one), but alas, I can only do this at a single track at a time.

Secondly, like other have mentioned, there's a whole slew of different auxes that will grab knob information, and use that for different effects. Don't have any examples at hand ATM, but I can get back to you on that. But honestly, I don't do stuff with the knobs too much either, simply because i am limited to a single track at a time. I find that extremely frustrating and limiting.

Also, whoever had the Cirklon before you (I am guessing from the way you put it it was second hand?) must have REALLY like the A knob, huh? :hihi:
The previous owner shipped it with the rack ears free floating in the box and they snapped the A knob in half... and was a total unapologetic dick about it after the fact. If it weren't for the fact that it seemed like an easy fix, I would have told him to F himself. I've just not been that bothered by it's absence, and then half assed fixed it, so I still haven't replaced it correctly. Haha but i'm committed to fix it when I get the upgrade kit.

Yeah I just have never thought of a musically useful way to use it. I assume the A/B knobs are more performance features. I just feel like I need ideas of how these might be musically useful to get me inspired and thinking in the right direction.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:13 am

Carrousel wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:58 pm
Hi spike, from the way you’ve worded the question I think you mean ck pattern instead of p3 pattern? If so then after deleting the note you need to go into the menu and ‘clear muted notes’ (or delete muted notes?). Then you can place a new note with velocity set by knob A. The reason this has to happen is that deleting notes in ck pattern only muted them rather than deleting them
AH!
yes...thank you for the correction and clarification!
also corrected my post above.
:P
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

kreiff
Common Wiggler

Post by kreiff » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Poster skkatter (aka splitradix on YouTube) recently did a fantastic tutorial focused on CK Pattern mode. A true tutorial walking through the menus and breaking down "hot keys" where applicable. I found it super informative:

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:14 pm

this tutorial is so so helpful! I'm so jealous of the C2 screen, I'm psyched to upgrade my machine!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:46 am

kreiff wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:40 pm
Poster skkatter (aka splitradix on YouTube) recently did a fantastic tutorial focused on CK Pattern mode. A true tutorial walking through the menus and breaking down "hot keys" where applicable. I found it super informative:

best cirklon video out there by a landslide. i hope @skkatter is kind enough to bless with us with some more.
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:12 am

Not sure if you are aware of modus obscura's videos but I think they are also very useful. No fur coat and aviators though.

Return to “General Gear”