Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ekofisk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I am pretty sure you can set the note length/gate to be anything from 1/48 of a beat to several bars.

I am still learning on the Cirklon, but after the initial confusion (inevitable on a machine this complex, I guess) of the hierarchy, and some confusion regarding other small stuff, I am starting to get the hang of it. It does take some time to setup initially, but when that's done, most of the other stuff comes pretty easily.

I tend to set up several tracks to the same instrument. That way, by muting and unmuting the tracks, I can turn extra notes, modulation, random stuff on and off easy for the same instrument. Doing this means it's pretty fast to improvise out a whole 'song' with a fairly complex structure.

Throw in a bit of sampled madness from the OT, an you're in business.

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Sounds great.

Just waiting to hear news on the second batch of builds.

Supposed to have been 'taking payments' before the end of August.

:hmm:

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm

tIB wrote:sounds good, unless neil doesnt like his ill be a fair while i think- the ot has taught me that im happier waiting until things are stable os wise.

you decide to keep that dp4 in the end then?
yeah I'm going to stick with it..it's so deep and lovely sounding and the eventide space is basically just me gassing for another bit of kit i'll never take full advantage of. I'm going to start the route down outboard dynamics processors and get an overstayer stereo VCA compressor whilst in the states..can't leave with nothing right?! :)

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm

heh, good skills, interested how that turns out, ive read lots of good stuff but never heard one. think todd gys has one and likes it a lot.

i got a dp2 recently but i was sold it by a bad man and it doesnt work.*

*(bargain price from neilbaldwin as the battery needs swapping, havent got around to it yet.)

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Sold as seen motherfucker, sold as seen...

:lol:

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm

bad man, bad man!!!

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 pm

On a serious note for a second: tIB, did you get any response from Sequentix?

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:17 pm

not yet, though i only mailed him yesterday.

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm

ha, yeah I bought my DP4 busted and the encoder was screwed. I have a spare if you ever need one. Mine should be good for 50,000 revolutions and all ;)

The original encoders are long gone so i sourced an alternative. I probably should have changed the battery whilst it was open....

Definitely get it working though. Amazing effects box for the price...

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 pm

^ yeah i will, have the battery so just waiting to have two useable hands again!

Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ekofisk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 pm

I think they (Colin and his wife) are still crazy busy. Emails can be a bit slow in my experience, but they eventually answer.

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Ah no worries. Just a touch of paranoia.

:cry:

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:At one point a few years ago I had a schrittmacher and a p3, and I sold the schrittmacher simply because it was so easy and fast to set this stuff up that I'd never use the p3. I sold it so that I would.
I did the exact opposite. I sold the P3! I kept the schritt for the same reasons you described (ease of use and fast set-up). I got tired of p3 menu diving.

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:05 pm

the more wigglers buying a Cirklon and plaguing Colin with requests for esoteric features the better. If enough of us ask he will do this stuff. I agree completely with Nelson's desires for this machine
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:12 pm

^ that's a pretty good shout.

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Just an email will do for now. I'm not fussy...

:cry:

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 am

and it is getting even more interesting!
Colin is just building a dinsync demuxer thing, where you can have additional (about) 24 triggers out of the cirklon!!!!!

this means analogue drum heaven! take the cv's and gates for the synths, the triggers for drums :party:
How I understood so far, it will be probably a diy thing. you have to implement the demuxer board, where you want to use it. e.g. place it in your modular, it gets power from modular bus, you take some blindpanel for the different trigger outs, some soldering. that's it.

exciting stuff, I'm glad there are already some eurorack drum modules.. let's see what TTA will bring out

(you could also put it into your 606 or something else... with triggers)

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:44 pm

and to add some details to this, where triggers shine vs midi is that layering about 8 midi hits on the same tick/beat will result in a delay between the first note and thelast of about 5ms. Whereas the analogue trigger interface (which is already built into the cirklon end via the din sync port) can do it in microseconds not milliseconds. So..tighter drums. Unfortunately I have nothing to take advantage of this with unless i hack my 808 :)

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:48 pm

shit, thats a big feature right there for my uses...

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jauqq » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Well, there is also the fact that there is nothing like the aux events anywhere else....(at least in a hardware step sequencer)
Could someone simply explain what aux events are exactly, and give an example of a possible use please?

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:02 pm

^ the P3 manual is the place to start i believe: http://www.sequentix.com/pdf/p3-manual-v3.1.006.pdf

neilbaldwin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neilbaldwin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Wowser!

I'm emailing Colin and asking him to put extra unicorns in mine.

:love:

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 pm

youkon wrote:and it is getting even more interesting!
Colin is just building a dinsync demuxer thing, where you can have additional (about) 24 triggers out of the cirklon!!!!!
Wow... unbelievable! That's exactly what I was after. Good thing I'm on the waiting list as well :hihi:

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Jauqq wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Well, there is also the fact that there is nothing like the aux events anywhere else....(at least in a hardware step sequencer)
Could someone simply explain what aux events are exactly, and give an example of a possible use please?

Here y'all go....

Aux events are events that are placed on a patterns 4 "aux" tracks. So you have note, velocity, gate length and gate delay per pattern, pretty standard parameters for a pattern sequencer. Then there are the 4 aux tracks, which can be freely assigned in each pattern to send MIDI
continuous controllers, after-touch, pitch-bend or program change messages.
Or they can be assigned to one of P3s “Auxiliary Events”. From the P3 manual:
In essence, an auxiliary event is like a controller message that is sent internally within P3.
Each event can modify some internal setting or value within the P3’s sequence playback engine:
· They can alter the current values for each playing pattern – note, velocity, length, delay, aux
and status values.
· They can change pattern values like timebase, direction and last step.
· They can change global values, such as the current tempo, track mutes, or part selection.
· They can also access normally “hidden” values that affect patterns in unusual ways.

They can respond to internal counters of steps (accumulator) or bars (G-Bar) and respond in many ways to these counters too. great for build ups etc. (Set note masking to correlate with the accumulator and as the pattern plays more notes are unmaksed, or .. say... velocity values could increase.. or any of a million other setups you could imagine... remember, ALL CC's are able to be F'd with in this thing too!)

There are some that send double or triple notes per step.. And others that do things I'm forgetting.

There are probably at least 60 of these oddball aux events, I'm not going to list them all here. DL the P3 manual and go to page 122 to get into them.

So ontop of the nice UI and multi track xox style pattern sequencer that can send CC's along midi and Cv along the analog buss that Cirklon essentially is, you have this craxy set of "auxiliary events" waiting behind the scenes that then can be programmed in to literally make your patterns come alive in subtly controlled or crazy random ways.

And then there's Colin the crazy developer who actually listnens and implements users requests and drops things like "Oh yeah BTW there are 24 hidden trigger tracks in there, I just need to find time to open the UI to it all -give me a week..

It's unreal.

~Steve

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jauqq » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:11 am

Perfect answer Steve :yay:

I'd looked through the manual, and your explanation has cleared things up now.

Return to “General Gear”