Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:30 pm

don't make this waiting stop u from making music :bananaguitar:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Panason wrote:It seems that Sequentix cannot stick to any kind of time frame. I hear there are people who have been waiting for over 2.5 years for this... so the "2 years" given in their emails means nothing... :deadbanana: Moving on.
Meh, if you're really committed and patient you can find a second hand one for cost or minimally inflated. It won't take 2.5 years. Ha, the more I hear this the more I am confident in my purchase.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Panason wrote:It seems that Sequentix cannot stick to any kind of time frame. I hear there are people who have been waiting for over 2.5 years for this... so the "2 years" given in their emails means nothing... :deadbanana: Moving on.
Colin is your typical music gear boffin. Now he’s talking about sticking a touchscreen on the upgraded 2nd Gen Cirklons :picard:

I mean its not a bad idea, but talk about mission creep. That’s why when I hear people saying “the new Cirklons will be available this summer”, I just laugh. Its already August and he hasn’t finalized a design yet. Maybe next summer.

But as others have said, used Cirklons come up all the time.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm

CF3 wrote:
Colin is your typical music gear boffin. Now he’s talking about sticking a touchscreen on the upgraded 2nd Gen Cirklons :picard:

I mean its not a bad idea, but talk about mission creep. That’s why when I hear people saying “the new Cirklons will be available this summer”, I just laugh. Its already August and he hasn’t finalized a design yet. Maybe next summer.

If the new display is touch screen I'll definitely pass. I don't know how a touch screen of that size would even be useful, nor how it would work in the context of the current UI.

I hope he finalizes the OS at some point and provides an up to date manual. But I think we'll be waiting for that as well haha.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:31 am

CF3 wrote:

I think you are misrepresenting Colin here. What he asked was, as I read it, is the new screens have touch screen capacity so do you want it? He explicitly said it won't be adding functionality but providing shortcuts. I cannot for the life of me work out how you can turn that into a negative.

Sounds From The Shed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sounds From The Shed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am

dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:

I think you are misrepresenting Colin here. What he asked was, as I read it, is the new screens have touch screen capacity so do you want it? He explicitly said it won't be adding functionality but providing shortcuts. I cannot for the life of me work out how you can turn that into a negative.

Ha ha ha , are you serious, you are questioning how someone can turn a positive into a negative after all the bile you've spilled, you are the master of positive to negative!

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:35 am

dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:

No negative. I just believe any effort should be spent on other more important features that have been promised for years now, or on improvements to Song Mode, etc. IMO, a touchscreen adds nothing and distracts him further.
Why even consider a touchscreen? Don’t get it twisted love me some Cirklon, but Id rather see MANY other things get attention rather than a touchscreen.

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:17 pm

I used to own a Cirklon and loved it but have since dived into Kyma in which the world is my oyster. Did Colin ever introduce multiphasic drum patterns where each note row could be a different length and speed within the pattern? I know you could do it by programming different rows/tracks using P3 pattern format but think he was redoing the Cirk pattern format data structure.

The thing I remember being slightly frustrating about Cirklon was how to elektron style step conditions (I.e. play every 4 reps) it was actually a bit of a chore. More powerful but a chore. Perhaps this has got better with time?

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I did used to love how quickly you could bang out a track tbh. I never used song mode though so rarely got past just jamming with it. Funny how different tools work well for different people. Cirklon is certainly amazing if you have a lot of gear.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:09 pm

CF3 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:

No negative. I just believe any effort should be spent on other more important features that have been promised for years now, or on improvements to Song Mode, etc. IMO, a touchscreen adds nothing and distracts him further.
Why even consider a touchscreen? Don’t get it twisted love me some Cirklon, but Id rather see MANY other things get attention rather than a touchscreen.
Fair enough. I'd be happy if a touch screen removed some of the hard to remember key shortcuts. Unfortunately I'm not in studio frequently enough so I often have to relearn some things. I guess I can see your point.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:15 pm

gosh wrote: The thing I remember being slightly frustrating about Cirklon was how to elektron style step conditions (I.e. play every 4 reps) it was actually a bit of a chore. More powerful but a chore. Perhaps this has got better with time?

Ha, it just occurred to me that I don't know how to do this specific task. But probability based trigger conditions and retriggers still require a few more steps but are not incredibly more complex. In fact, for only one note it may be more cumbersome, but retires for several steps might be faster with the Cirklon. I will say that the random masks for some reason don't feel as musical to me as the conditional triggers in the Elektron sequencer but this is profoundly subjective and is likely just me.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm

dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Fair enough. I'd be happy if a touch screen removed some of the hard to remember key shortcuts. Unfortunately I'm not in studio frequently enough so I often have to relearn some things. I guess I can see your point.
Ha, a touch screen would probably be another thing for me to bump up against and f up what I'm doing, but whatever. Shortcuts are always a welcome thing. Ha but I'd rather have an up to date manual that I can reference without having to dig through the forum.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Ha, a touch screen would probably be another thing for me to bump up against and f up what I'm doing, but whatever. Shortcuts are always a welcome thing. Ha but I'd rather have an up to date manual that I can reference without having to dig through the forum.
Yeah, I also would like an updated manual.

I don't seem to bump against things in the studio even when I'm dancing around like a ten year old. WTF are you doing in there? :wookie:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:39 pm

dubonaire
Haha, who knows? As it is, some times I'll reach across it to get to the modular case and I'll mute or unmute parts, ha maybe it's my gut bumping things? I've tried multiple spots for the Cirklon and in the end I feel like I get most use of it right by the modular stuff. If I put it in a less cramped spot it might be less likely to happen.

Realistically I think I'd be concerned that my knuckles might brush the screen as I turn the encoders below it but maybe that's a non-issue.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 am

Moving (twice now) has been arguably the biggest disruption to the production process, with some supply chain problems and PCB error following close behind. Basically, Murphy's law occurred... repeatedly.

The wait list is so damn long only because there was a brief shortage, and the signs are there that the light is at the end of the tunnel. They've churned out a shit ton of DMUX'es to the point that they told me (when my name came up on the DMUX wait list) that I can easily wait until my name comes up on the Cirklon wait list and buy both a Cirklon and DMUX at the same time (I'm not getting a CVIO).

Some of the new screen and V2 design was done during some of the downtime they experienced (look at Colin's IG post from Nov 2018), so it's not like they're just twiddling their fingers and making us wait.

There's lots of exciting possibilities with V2, so I'm actually damn glad Ive waited, as I'm guaranteed to get a V2 when my name comes up (Q4 2019 or Q1 2020). The ethernet capabilities are mind boggling, with potential to host an external CVIO outside the Cirklon itself. It's an idea I'm pushing that Colin seems to have interest in, allowing for your Cirklon front & center on your desk, and your modular, CVIO, & BOB to be clear across the studio (if you want). The current cable limit from the CVIO to the BOB is kinda lame, IMHO.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Stray thoughts - I have a long printer cable - 12 or 20 feet? - running between my CVIO and BOB and have had no issues there.

I like the idea of 2.0 as much as anyone else but would much rather see refinements to the OS. Far too much relies on the one main encoder - it seems like so much navigation could be reworked to take advantage of the other encoders, the pots, and the buttons. I feel like I’m just putting miles and miles on that one main encoder whenever I use it.

I do wish that I could do “trig conditions” like on electron devices. It’s so fast to just choose “play once every 4 bars,” stuff like that. I’m sure the CK can do it (maybe an accumulator unmasking the gates as it builds up values) but it’s a lot less musical to work that way, too much thinking like a logical programmer in the moment when you just want your extra snare hit to drop in at the end of every 4 bars.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Bath House wrote:Stray thoughts - I have a long printer cable - 12 or 20 feet? - running between my CVIO and BOB and have had no issues there.

I like the idea of 2.0 as much as anyone else but would much rather see refinements to the OS. Far too much relies on the one main encoder - it seems like so much navigation could be reworked to take advantage of the other encoders, the pots, and the buttons. I feel like I’m just putting miles and miles on that one main encoder whenever I use it.

I do wish that I could do “trig conditions” like on electron devices. It’s so fast to just choose “play once every 4 bars,” stuff like that. I’m sure the CK can do it (maybe an accumulator unmasking the gates as it builds up values) but it’s a lot less musical to work that way, too much thinking like a logical programmer in the moment when you just want your extra snare hit to drop in at the end of every 4 bars.
The trig conditions where it plays something every something bar would be nice.... but can't you just copy the pattern and program it in reasonably quickly?

EDIT: or use the fill function if the patterns too long?

I know it's not perfect, but doesn't seem too bad.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Bath House wrote:Stray thoughts - I have a long printer cable - 12 or 20 feet? - running between my CVIO and BOB and have had no issues there.
You're dealing with a voltage drop on such a long cable with thin wiring. I think that's why they don't offer such a cable in their shop. 2m is the longest, IIRC.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

DJMaytag wrote:
You're dealing with a voltage drop on such a long cable with thin wiring. I think that's why they don't offer such a cable in their shop. 2m is the longest, IIRC.
I have a similar length cable with no issue. It is not a dinky ribbon cable though.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm

I just found a feature in my Cirklon I didn't know I needed. I started using a Pigtronix Infinity looper midi synced with my modular. When feeding the loops back into my modular they were ever so slightly out of time, like when a DJ mix is a little off.

I looked at the midi configuration page on Cirklon and found a setting which allowed me to add a timing offset to the specific midi port in fractions of milliseconds. After some trial an error, I tuned it to be perfectly locked in. :yay:

I didn't need to refer to the manual... It's so easy to figure out.

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm

DJMaytag wrote:2m is the longest, IIRC.
Available in lengths of 2, 3 and 4.5 meters this cable is required to connect the Cirklon CVIO's analogue bus to any of our range of Breakout Boxes.

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:32 pm

A quick question for anyone that's added their name to the waiting list: do you get an email confirmation that you're on the list, and if so how long does it take?

I completed the wait list web form last week but didn't get the usual automated email back like I expected (eg, "Congratulations! You're on the list. We'll contact you in 1-2 years...."). So I thought I messed it up somehow and filled out the webform again. Still no email confirmation back.

I'd hate to wait 1-2 years only to learn that I was never on the list to begin with.

So for people that have signed up, did you ever get confirmation that you signed up; or do you just get contacted when it gets close to your time?

Thank you.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:45 pm

rbhansen wrote:A quick question for anyone that's added their name to the waiting list: do you get an email confirmation that you're on the list, and if so how long does it take?

I completed the wait list web form last week but didn't get the usual automated email back like I expected (eg, "Congratulations! You're on the list. We'll contact you in 1-2 years...."). So I thought I messed it up somehow and filled out the webform again. Still no email confirmation back.

I'd hate to wait 1-2 years only to learn that I was never on the list to begin with.

So for people that have signed up, did you ever get confirmation that you signed up; or do you just get contacted when it gets close to your time?

Thank you.
You get confirmation. I'd give it a couple weeks, and I would check your spam. I can't recall how long it took to get a response, but I don't think it was an immediate/automated thing. Ha, I signed up over a year ago, and the email said wait time was about a year.... so much for that! Haha.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 pm

minimalist wrote: I looked at the midi configuration page on Cirklon and found a setting which allowed me to add a timing offset to the specific midi port in fractions of milliseconds. After some trial an error, I tuned it to be perfectly locked in. :yay:

i was not aware that this was implemented, Thanks !

i made btw. a feature request for this very functionality years years back.
and iirc was it completly ignored.........

......landed by coincidence on ebay the other day and saw a Cirklon for 3000$ :hmm:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:34 am

I got confirmation but no further updates and didn't know that the waiting time had doubled from the "approximately one year" I was given when I signed up. I emailed to confirm i was still on the list and they replied about a week later.

Anyway. RE: trig conditions. If there is no limit on pattern length you don't really need them unless you get off on the random/generative stuff... :despair: On my Rytm I use a few periodic triggers but it's only out of laziness while I know that is is better to make a few variation patterns. The problem is that there is no visual indicator when you look at the 16 step buttons as to which steps are conditional/ periodic trigs so when troubleshooting/ editing the pattern later things can get confusing and annoying. Also if your trig occurs once in a while and you're trying to audition it, it slows things down as you wait for the trig to occur.

tl;dr: fuck elektron and their "trigs" BS. It's "triggers", you nerds! When I came to "trigless trigs" in the manual it was time to hit the drink and drugs. :waah:

Return to “General Gear”