Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
Sanys
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Location: Saint CV

Post by Sanys » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm

i need to do this to my cirklon too

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Panason wrote:Good to read!
As fas as I've seen, Cenk does minimal techno using Elektron's favoured workflow, which is to have one pattern looping for a long time and tweaking FX , filters and re-triggers, etc. This is why Elektron's sequencers continue to not have one -finger pattern selection, because Cenk and those who do similar abstract stuff don't need to change patterns very often.

Meh, I think he uses one box as the master and changes patterns from there. There is some repetition there, but there is constant movement. I don't know what you'd classify the genre as, I don't really keep up with that and I feel like there is some variety in his sets (some electro, some DnB, etc). But, like it or not, my point was his mastery of the instruments and the fluid nature in which he manipulates the piece to keep a consistent theme while never being overly repetitive and create a constant sense of moving forward. And transitions between pieces is uninterrupted and seamless. This has always been my struggle with electronic music, even with a structured format, it is a much different approach than the verse chorus approach of rock and roll and other more traditional genres. I guess I know nothing about electronic music theory haha. But I feel like I have never grasped how to created a unified piece that relies on certain recurring themes but is not profoundly repetitive and stagnant. I'm always vascillating between repetitive and completely disjointed. And this is in a studio setting, forget adding the complexity of reproducing it in a live context. I think he does it well. And in terms of playing music for people to dance to, I feel like he does that well too. I grew up sneaking out to go to the clubs of Athens from my early teens. My cousin was a club rat, and even from a young age had a lot of connections. We never got involved with club drugs, etc, but we definitely would throw back a few drinks and dance our faces off. I feel like a set from Cenk wouldn't be out of place (though I feel like he has gotten a little more abstract with time).

Anyways, all that is somewhat off topic I guess, but my point is I feel like the Cirklon could do all this from one central location. I still have a lot to master. Maybe theres a way to set up a MIDI controller to help move through different scenes or whatever.

As an aside I have a 16n faderbank that I was going to use with my ER-301 until I just gave up on the 301 (ha, I'm a prick I know). I keep thinking I'll look into setting it up to add functionality to Cirklon somehow, or maybe the Octatrack. We'll see if that ever happens.

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:10 am

chiasticon wrote:
but... does one handed pattern selection = one finger pattern selection...? I mean, it does take two button presses. but you can probably re-use the same finger for it.

if you want this from the Cirklon, by the way, you'll be disappointed.
Yes, I mean go into pattern mode (which should stay active and not time out :doh: :doh: :doh: i bet they thought that's really clever ) and hit one of the 16 buttons to launch a pattern from the currently selected bank. Not a button combo!

I would be very surprised if the Cirklon doesn't offer this??????? It is a standard feature on pretty much any pattern based machine other than Elektron, who are the only ones able to complicate such a simple thing.
In a way I hope the Cirklon has the same issue, so I can really cross it off my shopping list! :confused:

User avatar
chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: the heart of it all

Post by chiasticon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 am

...
Last edited by chiasticon on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: the heart of it all

Post by chiasticon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 am

Panason wrote:I would be very surprised if the Cirklon doesn't offer this???????
sorry I got confused on discussing patterns versus scenes... what you're after is a scene selection mode, which it has. you can select from sixteen at once using the encoders, and the display shows each pattern's name. section 4-10 of the manual. patterns for a track (within a scene) have to be selected with the value encoder.
thisoldhouse wrote:Not the same as showing track names (though could be used for same purpose) but you can see the name of each pattern currently playing on each track of one bank if you just press and release ROW encoder when in TRACK mode. you can press BAR to view other banks patterns.
well that's something! thanks!

by the way, where does one learn about any new features past the V1.11 manual? edit: looks like the best source is this revision history list?

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Post by thisoldhouse » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:48 am

by the way, where does one learn about any new features past the V1.11 manual? edit: looks like the best source is [url=http://files.sequentix.com/cirkos-revis ... -v1.08.txt]this revision history list?
Yeah that’s really the only place I think to see what’s been added.

There is the wiki with short cuts that helps me to review since it’s easy to forget ones I don’t use regularly, not sure how frequently it’s updated http://wiki.sequentix.com//index.php?title=Commands

User avatar
(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Location: Chromosphere

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by (((EMP))) » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Preliminary version of an updated manual:

http://files.sequentix.com/cirklon-manu ... -draft.pdf

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:37 pm
Preliminary version of an updated manual:

http://files.sequentix.com/cirklon-manu ... -draft.pdf
Nice thank you!!!

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: CA

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by mafouka » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Not to be that guy, or attract the trolls, but does anyone know the que for peeps who signed up around july 2019 ??? :cry:



Latest IG post says ETA June! Just wondering for whom that applies for.

would be willing to sell some plasma / organs to get that tight latency in the mixxx

cheers
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

User avatar
DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by DJMaytag » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:31 pm

mafouka wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm
Not to be that guy, or attract the trolls, but does anyone know the que for peeps who signed up around july 2019 ??? :cry:
I’ve been on since November 2017, and I’m probably looking at early 2021 at this point.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: North'ish London, UK

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Luap » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:38 pm

mafouka wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:24 pm
Not to be that guy, or attract the trolls, but does anyone know the que for peeps who signed up around july 2019 ??? :cry:

I signed up 3 years ago (June/July 2017), and quit the wait after 2 years. Its a frankly ridiculous waiting list for a product that contains the grand total of no unobtanium parts.
I don't doubt its a great sequencer, but its no use to man nor beast if you cant ****ing buy one. How the company is still in business after all this time i'll never know.

Good luck :tu:

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by spudboyblues » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm

November 2017, still have not gotten the call. At this point I'm mostly just curious to know if it'll ever happen. I wonder if the youtubers and celebs get to cut the line or if they just buy them used. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar
(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Location: Chromosphere

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by (((EMP))) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Yeah I wouldn’t get too excited TBH. Could be awhile yet.

User avatar
Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker
Posts: 2245
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Junk Rhythm » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:29 pm

I was on the list in 2015 and a year later my slot came up. Sadly it came up in late November going into the holidays so I had to pass on it. I still kick myself for doing so, oh well. Hold tight and keep the funds set aside, your turn could come up when you least expect it.

User avatar
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am
Location: Suhlendorf

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:20 am

spudboyblues wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm
November 2017, still have not gotten the call. At this point I'm mostly just curious to know if it'll ever happen. I wonder if the youtubers and celebs get to cut the line or if they just buy them used. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I ordered one in spring 2013 via Schneidersladen because I tend to prefer local retailers for support (plus they are nice and helpful people there). One year later I somehow found out by myself that they would not supply retailers at that time and go on their waiting list too. In January 2015 I received my unit, a few days later Schneidersladen also offered ma one. Communication with Sequentix during the waiting period was always great. I got estimated dates, when I politely inquired and in the end those have not been too far off.

I wonder if youtubers and celebs might just have waited as everybody else. Why should they favour any influencer when they already have more interest than supply? By the way, which youtuber are you referring to? I am Always interested in Circlon videos and watching other people use theirs.

otnemem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by otnemem » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:37 am

I have been on a waiting list only since November 2019. I am generally ok to wait but I always doubt i would wait for 2 years for a sequencer. I mean a sequencer is pretty fundamental for your workflow as I see it - seems to be something you would want to resolve quickly. Odds are that most may find a suitable alternative in the interim

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by dubonaire » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 am

I was certainly able to sequence before I got a Cirklon, I understand why people are frustrated though.

Apparently they now likely have delays due to COVID impacts which is understandable. I think they've actually had a rough couple of years.

User avatar
DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Madison, Wiscompton
Contact:

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by DJMaytag » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:03 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 am
I was certainly able to sequence before I got a Cirklon, I understand why people are frustrated though.

Apparently they now likely have delays due to COVID impacts which is understandable. I think they've actually had a rough couple of years.
Murphy's law has certainly bent Sequentix over numerous times in the past few years, hasn't it? I'm amazed at how they persevere through all these ups and down and continue to do what they're doing.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

User avatar
Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:48 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 am

Luap wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:38 pm
How the company is still in business after all this time i'll never know.
I think the answer is obviously the demand for their product.
TOO FAR GONE

User avatar
(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Location: Chromosphere

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by (((EMP))) » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 pm

When I got mine it was pretty early on (2013????). There wasn’t much of a wait at all then. In fact I past up my spot on the list twice due to lack of funds and still got one in less than a year. The move to Germany has really thrown a wrench in the works IMO. I actually waited longer when I got a P3 back in the day.

My concern now is the upgrade path for V1 units. Hopefully that gets sorted. But I have realistic expectations. Probably won’t see that until the fall.

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:52 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 pm
When I got mine it was pretty early on (2013????). There wasn’t much of a wait at all then. In fact I past up my spot on the list twice due to lack of funds and still got one in less than a year. The move to Germany has really thrown a wrench in the works IMO. I actually waited longer when I got a P3 back in the day.

My concern now is the upgrade path for V1 units. Hopefully that gets sorted. But I have realistic expectations. Probably won’t see that until the fall.
They made it sound like when V2 rolls around upgrades kits will be available for anyone who wants. There shouldn’t be a long wait time. You can message them to express interest but there’s no preorder list. In general I think they’ve worked out things to really ramp up production (barring any set backs related to the pandemic).

User avatar
(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Location: Chromosphere

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by (((EMP))) » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:52 pm
(((EMP))) wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 pm
When I got mine it was pretty early on (2013????). There wasn’t much of a wait at all then. In fact I past up my spot on the list twice due to lack of funds and still got one in less than a year. The move to Germany has really thrown a wrench in the works IMO. I actually waited longer when I got a P3 back in the day.

My concern now is the upgrade path for V1 units. Hopefully that gets sorted. But I have realistic expectations. Probably won’t see that until the fall.
They made it sound like when V2 rolls around upgrades kits will be available for anyone who wants. There shouldn’t be a long wait time. You can message them to express interest but there’s no preorder list. In general I think they’ve worked out things to really ramp up production (barring any set backs related to the pandemic).
Already asked and got a vague answer. I’m not doubting the upgrades will come. The D-MUX expanders took a good long while, but they ultimately happened. The issue with the v2 upgrade appears to be that there’s different revisions of both the Cirklon pcbs and metalwork. So actual different backplates will need to be fabricated. Again, I’m sure it will eventually happen, but definitely not anytime soon. Fingers crossed my unit doesn’t need a special rear panel :omg:

User avatar
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:02 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:00 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:52 pm
(((EMP))) wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 pm
When I got mine it was pretty early on (2013????). There wasn’t much of a wait at all then. In fact I past up my spot on the list twice due to lack of funds and still got one in less than a year. The move to Germany has really thrown a wrench in the works IMO. I actually waited longer when I got a P3 back in the day.

My concern now is the upgrade path for V1 units. Hopefully that gets sorted. But I have realistic expectations. Probably won’t see that until the fall.
They made it sound like when V2 rolls around upgrades kits will be available for anyone who wants. There shouldn’t be a long wait time. You can message them to express interest but there’s no preorder list. In general I think they’ve worked out things to really ramp up production (barring any set backs related to the pandemic).
Already asked and got a vague answer. I’m not doubting the upgrades will come. The D-MUX expanders took a good long while, but they ultimately happened. The issue with the v2 upgrade appears to be that there’s different revisions of both the Cirklon pcbs and metalwork. So actual different backplates will need to be fabricated. Again, I’m sure it will eventually happen, but definitely not anytime soon. Fingers crossed my unit doesn’t need a special rear panel :omg:
I hear you. It was a top priority for me but with everything going on right now it's suddenly dropped in priority haha.

In terms of availability, they certainly come up used here at least a few times a year, and quite often reasonably price. I probably paid a few hundred dollars more for mine, but it was worth every extra penny to me. I know you can make music without one, but for me, it allowed me to do everything I like in the Elektron style of sequencing and much more without being the tied to the Elektron boxes. It was the missing piece that really tied my studio together. So while I was making music before, it really has helped augment my whole experience in the studio and at this point, a year or two in, I think it has really helped make me more productive. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one again second hand. I wouldn't pay $3000 for one. But you can get a good deal here if you're patient.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by dubonaire » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:13 pm

Originally Colin said he was expecting to have more than enough V2 conversion kits, but that might have changed given current circumstances. The V2 looks excellent but not having it is not going to hold me back.

He also said early models require additional effort to upgrade because the build is different.

User avatar
Angroc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Angroc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 am

Anyone else here who will just stick with the V1? I just can't see any big reasons to upgrade yet. What are the V2 features you guys are the most excited about?

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”