Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tIB
Stainer!

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by tIB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:56 am

I might - I have an early model (#3!) so it depends how much of a ballache/how pricey it is. I don't need a colour screen, ethernet etc, though there are some features that I want that may only be possible with the new one, which may push me over the edge. We'll see.

Truth be told I haven't used mine much at all in the last couple of years, not because it isn't brilliant- it is, but I've gone through an extended period of working in a different way. At some point I'll return to it...

Edit: and without wanting to bash Sequentix I don't really expect kits or the V2 to be imminently available.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:01 am

Same here Angroc. For me there's still so much to discover in V1, it seems I'm using like 10% of what it's capable of and I'm still superhappy with it. I won't be upgrading in the near future.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 am

Angroc wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 am
Anyone else here who will just stick with the V1? I just can't see any big reasons to upgrade yet. What are the V2 features you guys are the most excited about?
I will definitely get the V2 upgrade. Some aspects of the Cirklon interface are pretty much 80s technology.

Features?

The touch screen. Some tasks that are quite labororiously slow will be much faster (e.g. naming).

Having richer information available (e.g. ganged notes in a different color, velocity on the same screen as the note).

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:26 am

I think I'll upgrade. I already put in a v1.7 cvio board so I could access lower notes via cv. The process was fairly painless.
Insert pithy statement here

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Notron fn wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:26 am
I think I'll upgrade. I already put in a v1.7 cvio board so I could access lower notes via cv. The process was fairly painless.
I have the old CVIO configuration but somehow never bumped into notes I could not reach - could explain, what this is about?

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Angroc wrote:
Anyone else here who will just stick with the V1? I just can't see any big reasons to upgrade yet. What are the V2 features you guys are the most excited about?
I'm hoping the upgraded CPU will mean some higher level OS features that have been discussed for years now, like expanding the number of Aux Events per P3 pattern (at least 8), better CC automation in P3 patterns (smoothing, continuous), LFO's, Dotted timing, better swing (more like an MPC based on %), better (see: longer) naming protocol, improved/expanded Song Mode, etc etc.

I could take or leave the touchscreen. It's cool, but I don't need it.

All that said I'm generally happy with it just like it is. :party:

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm

I will definitely be upgrading. At some point (hopefully at release) there will be some cool new features that require 2.0 (apart from the obvious display/touch upgrade), otherwise what would be the point of introducing a new version? I also plan on getting the D-MUX and upgraded CVIO board, assuming they're available when the upgrade kits are.
Leverkusen wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 pm
I have the old CVIO configuration but somehow never bumped into notes I could not reach - could explain, what this is about?
The original CVIO can't go below 0V, and in fact can't reach 0V, so the tuning goes slightly sharp as you approach the lowest note. I'm actually looking forward to the new CVIO most of all, since the behavior around 0V has always been a source of minor irritation.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm

miminashi wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm
I will definitely be upgrading. At some point (hopefully at release) there will be some cool new features that require 2.0 (apart from the obvious display/touch upgrade), otherwise what would be the point of introducing a new version?
If I recall correctly the original motivation was problems with the supplier of the b/w screens which I think was the initial reason for the delays in production. He was getting a high failure rate.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:19 pm

Ah, interesting. So it's a bit of an "in for a pound" sort of thing. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing what Colin cooks up, but more as a pleasant surprise than out of any pressing need.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 pm

Angroc wrote:
What are the V2 features you guys are the most excited about?
RTP-MIDI and the possibility of MIDI 2.0 compatibility.

If Colin ever has the chance to design & build it, I’d be HIGHLY interested in a BOB that would connect, over Ethernet, to a Cirklon clear across the room (or even in another room). A BOB like that would have to have a CVIO integrated into the BOB, so it would definitely be more expensive, and IF they should make such a BOB, it would have more I/O than current BOB’s.

The MIDI host port opens up some interesting possibilities too.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:43 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:46 pm
Notron fn wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:26 am
Colin said in a comment in the Facebook group:

The revised CVIO board is smaller, and has a couple of extra features, but is basically the same as the previous version - they both run the same code, and connect in the same way.
The ck2 board will have the same CVIO connection, and the current and previous boards will work with it.
In CVIO v1.7, there are a couple of additional analogue switch chips, that bypass the output smoothing. The CV outs have a low-pass filter to remove zipper noise from glide or envelope curves. Being able to bypass them for instant transients allows for clicky envelopes, and sharper gate edges, The bypass circuit is automatically enabled in those cases.
The other new feature is the ability to extend the CV output range from 0 to 10.5V, to -5 to 10.5V.
If you don't need those specific features, I'd stick with your current CVIO.
Insert pithy statement here

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:30 pm

nodog wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:01 am
Same here Angroc. For me there's still so much to discover in V1, it seems I'm using like 10% of what it's capable of and I'm still superhappy with it. I won't be upgrading in the near future.
Here too. The only feature I think sometimes is CC movement record like with the Elektron boxes. But then there's this Elektron box in my setup for that task...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Anyone know if scala files will be selectable within the UI with ease (versus having to send sysex dumps to mircotonal capable hardwares)?
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 am

I'm trying to get my Drumbrute Impakt to start play when I hit 'Play' on the Cirklon (or vice versa, I don't really care which one is the master), and have been unable to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. I have both the drum and cv expanders.

Thanks!
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

MrShifter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MrShifter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:42 am

loydb wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 am
I'm trying to get my Drumbrute Impakt to start play when I hit 'Play' on the Cirklon (or vice versa, I don't really care which one is the master), and have been unable to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. I have both the drum and cv expanders.

Thanks!
Hiya, have you enabled midi clock in midi port config?I'd always have cirklon as master by the way. These type of questions would always get a quicker response on the sequentix forum or the facebook page I would imagine, cheers.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:22 am

Yep, it's enabled. Thanks, I'll try there too.
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:36 am

loydb wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 am
Make sure your DBI is set to receive MIDI clock. I think by default it starts up waiting to receive USB MIDI.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I've got it working with the Impakt as the master, but not the reverse, which is fine for the moment. I did insure that the Impakt was set to MIDI clock. It only works if I set the Impakt to internal clock, and set the Cirklon to receive MIDI control on the appropriate channel.

goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:56 pm

loydb wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:33 pm
It only works if I set the Impakt to internal clock, and set the Cirklon to receive MIDI control on the appropriate channel.
You do not need to set up anything to get the Cirklon slaving to incoming transport messages.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 am
Luap wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:38 pm
How the company is still in business after all this time i'll never know.
I think the answer is obviously the demand for their product.
:picard:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Luap wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:25 pm
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 am
Luap wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:38 pm
How the company is still in business after all this time i'll never know.
I think the answer is obviously the demand for their product.
:picard:
CC6F2BD9-2501-44D4-8D43-ABE4E3C3AB94.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:46 pm

There’s one up in the BST. I think there’s a decent mark up on it though. IIRC I had crunched the numbers on getting a Cirklon CVIO with end cheeks and BOB and I think after shipping it was about $2000 US. And likely import duties on top. I might be wrong though.

modelo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modelo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:55 pm

That guy made a killing.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 pm

I've lost track of what the new price even is? Is it still a grand for the unit and then 350 or so plus 20% vat for the break our PCB and unit?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 pm

tIB wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 pm
I've lost track of what the new price even is? Is it still a grand for the unit and then 350 or so plus 20% vat for the break our PCB and unit?
A Cirklon CVIO with end cheeks, and expander is somewhere between 1700-1800 euros without including VAT. Cirklon CVIO alone is a little over 1500 euro. The exchange rate right now is reasonably favorable for folks in the US. That said, I suspect you’ll get stuck paying taxes. I also found shipping when I bought my DMUX was kinda nuts (over $50 for a small package IIRC). I can’t imagine what they charge for the actual sequencer. That said I have asked this question here before, and no one really chimed in. I bought mine second hand. I paid about $2400 shipped including ends cheeks, and expander. I suspected I was over paying by a couple hundred dollars, maybe a little more. The seller tried to act like he was doing me a favor.

That said, as other mentioned, I feel it might be more prudent to wait for the updated release. I read somewhere they feel pretty confident they can catch up on their back log. Ha this may not be true I have no clue. And the time frame may be messed up in light of COVID. But I feel like waiting a bit longer to find out might be the smart move.

Return to “General Gear”