Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

tIB
Stainer!

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 am

Waiting seems the most sensible option until the new revision I out, though I think that will take time. Can't see the v1 units losing value in the mean time. I forget what I paid for mine, but it was certainly fair.

raft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raft » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 pm

what kind of switches are the keys? says cherry mx on the site, I'm guessing they are clicky blues?

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:37 pm

They are linear switches, maybe blacks. Blues would have driven me insane.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm very happy they're making an upgrade package for v1.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:50 am

The switches are definitely Cherry mx black. This was confirmed on the Sequentix forum a while ago.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 am

Price talk - this was my PayPal invoice in 2017. I think I paid another $50 brokerage fee to whoever delivered it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:56 pm

Bath House wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 am
Price talk - this was my PayPal invoice in 2017. I think I paid another $50 brokerage fee to whoever delivered it.
Interesting... Shipping is less than I expected. But I would've expected to have to pay more in import duties. My experience with import duties have been all over the place, which ultimately leads me to believe that they are not collected consistently in the US. I could be completely wrong. But it really seems like a coin toss.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 am

Bath House wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 am
Thanks. British/euro users would have paid another 20% vat on that too.

(Editted out an unintended smiley!)
Last edited by tIB on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:59 am

Customs and duties can be a coin toss regardless of which way it is going. I've had some very nice things get through with no charge and conversely had some surprising bills which took much of the pleasure of of an arrival.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:47 pm

The customs thing is very weird here in US. For about 30+ years of buying all manner of music gear (and backpacking equipment, etc) from around the globe, I was never charged anything. Then recently UPS (Specifically UPS) started doing this “we’re holding your package until you pay us $75” thing...????? Regardless of the stated value, $75. $2000 or $200, they want $75???? I’ve actually called them and tried to question them about the criteria and never got an actual answer. Very strange.

BTW, When I got my Cirklon, maybe late 2012 or early 2013.... no charge. Its so random.

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Post by freakynorth » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:31 pm

minimalist wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:59 am
Customs and duties can be a coin toss regardless of which way it is going. I've had some very nice things get through with no charge and conversely had some surprising bills which took much of the pleasure of of an arrival.

Same!
I’ve had things declared at full value without being marked as a gift and I don’t get dinged with fees but other cheaper things I do.. I think they must do it randomly? I have no idea. Total nightmare.

Been on the wait list for a Cirklon for only a few months now. Apparently a huge wait???

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:47 pm
The customs thing is very weird here in US. For about 30+ years of buying all manner of music gear (and backpacking equipment, etc) from around the globe, I was never charged anything. Then recently UPS (Specifically UPS) started doing this “we’re holding your package until you pay us $75” thing...????? Regardless of the stated value, $75. $2000 or $200, they want $75???? I’ve actually called them and tried to question them about the criteria and never got an actual answer. Very strange.

BTW, When I got my Cirklon, maybe late 2012 or early 2013.... no charge. Its so random.
Those are probably “handling fees” separate from any taxes that might be collected. It’s supposedly for dealing with any customs related paperwork, etc.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:43 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm
(((EMP))) wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:47 pm

Those are probably “handling fees” separate from any taxes that might be collected. It’s supposedly for dealing with any customs related paperwork, etc.
The quotes are apt. I always get charged handling fees and storage fees while they get customs clearance. It's a classic, you have no choice. And here was I thinking handling is exactly what I am paying them to do in the first place. And paying them to keep your package on a shelf. Love that too. :eek:

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 am

Had a brainwave with my cirklon set-up today and it’s lead me to ask the question: why would anyone ever want or need to use the soft midi-thru option in conjunction with local control switched off on a synth? (As described in the manual).

I was struggling with a few aspects of my new Novation Summit in terms of getting it to respond perfectly with local control off and all midi messages routed through the cirklon. Everything worked ok except for bank change messages and using the arpeggiator, neither of which work. I also had a few issues with the range switch of oscillator 2 getting stuck; weird.

I then realised I can just switch local control on the summit back on, switch soft-thru on the Summit’s Cirklon port off, make sure record enable was ‘on’ (and not ‘on/thru’) and also make sure the record soft thru function is ‘off’ on the record menu. This gives me the exact same functionality, but without having to have the possibility of midi message glitches or problems with arpeggiators. Now the Summit controls itself, the cirklon listens and records it whenever asked and then fires the messages back to it once recorded in - no midi loops and no glitches.

So, why would anyone ever use local control off with soft-thru on?
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 am

Carrousel wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 am
Had a brainwave with my cirklon set-up today and it’s lead me to ask the question: why would anyone ever want or need to use the soft midi-thru option in conjunction with local control switched off on a synth? (As described in the manual).

I was struggling with a few aspects of my new Novation Summit in terms of getting it to respond perfectly with local control off and all midi messages routed through the cirklon. Everything worked ok except for bank change messages and using the arpeggiator, neither of which work. I also had a few issues with the range switch of oscillator 2 getting stuck; weird.

I then realised I can just switch local control on the summit back on, switch soft-thru on the Summit’s Cirklon port off, make sure record enable was ‘on’ (and not ‘on/thru’) and also make sure the record soft thru function is ‘off’ on the record menu. This gives me the exact same functionality, but without having to have the possibility of midi message glitches or problems with arpeggiators. Now the Summit controls itself, the cirklon listens and records it whenever asked and then fires the messages back to it once recorded in - no midi loops and no glitches.

im guessing a lot of this might be handy where you want a master controller keyboard or have equipment that doesnt have keyboards.

That being said i think you have just solved a load of problems for me as ive initially set everything up with local off and soft-thrus and have a few bugs. I like the way your mind works.

Interested what others have to say on this?

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Bobby wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 am
Carrousel wrote:

im guessing a lot of this might be handy where you want a master controller keyboard or have equipment that doesnt have keyboards.

That being said i think you have just solved a load of problems for me as ive initially set everything up with local off and soft-thrus and have a few bugs. I like the way your mind works.

Interested what others have to say on this?

I hope it does solve it for you, it’s certainly worked for me. I think my brain was stuck on the idea that I needed to have soft thru on in order to get any midi data back to the synth....completely forgetting that this is already taken care of with the instrument definition. So the only reason to have soft-thru on (in this case) would be to hear live playing, which is also heard with local control left on! Just make sure to switch the record thru setting off on the record menu; that avoids a potential midi loop whilst recording.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate » Tue May 19, 2020 10:14 am

Carrousel wrote:
[...]

Maybe some hints... http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.php?p=22695#p22695

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Tue May 19, 2020 2:58 pm

I like the soft thru approach personally. Works very well if your board is multi-timbral, in my case the Andromeda and the Ensoniq SQ-80. That way I can switch what part to play, and what to part to edit, individually! But this question relies heavily on how well the board handles controlling itself though the Cirklon. Tried the same set-up on my Poly Evolver Keyboard, and it doesn't work as well for that one.

neubauer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by neubauer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:43 am

I am on the waiting list since november 2017. I was promised by Barbara that mine was going to be delivered early 2020 but it is not the case. Anyone in the same situation?. Last one shipped since when in the waiting list?

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:48 am

Have you looked on the forum? Barbara's been pretty active in the wait list thread on there. I believe they're currently working through April 2017 so you're not too far off now. I think they'll be scaling up a bit too so hopefully they'll be moving through the list quicker now.

I didn't get on the list till March 2019 so I'll be waiting a while!
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am

Correct me if wrong, but I think the next units to start going out will be the Cirklon 2. Can anyone clarify? Hoping they start selling the upgrade kits soon.
TOO FAR GONE

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 am

All Cirklons shipped from now will be the v2
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Petajaja wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 am
:tu:

i bought a secondhand v1 but im on the list. if my name gets called ill probably grip one of those.
TOO FAR GONE

mtritter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mtritter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:21 am

neubauer wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:43 am
I am on the waiting list since november 2017. I was promised by Barbara that mine was going to be delivered early 2020 but it is not the case. Anyone in the same situation?. Last one shipped since when in the waiting list?
Same situation, since January 2018. (I've sent email queries recently but this year is obviously a mess and I don't expect anything is running normally for anyone.) Sounds from the Cirklon forum like maybe they're getting closer to our spots on the list though.

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03 am

there is upgrade kit too.
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:05 pm
Petajaja wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 am
:tu:

i bought a secondhand v1 but im on the list. if my name gets called ill probably grip one of those.

Return to “General Gear”