Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:15 am

dp4 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03 am
there is upgrade kit too.
gonna grip that too
TOO FAR GONE

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:20 pm

based !
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:15 am
dp4 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03 am
there is upgrade kit too.
gonna grip that too

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Is it not really worth getting on the waitlist at this point?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm

gloamtrotter wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:51 pm
i dont see why not. all you have to do is sign up. i have a feeling production slowed due to the R&D of v2 and focusing on getting that bug free.
TOO FAR GONE

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Damn, i’ve been thinking i had to buy it to get on the list. Would have done it a while ago. Thanks for the heads up

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm
gloamtrotter wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:51 pm
i dont see why not. all you have to do is sign up. i have a feeling production slowed due to the R&D of v2 and focusing on getting that bug free.
I think they also had to change workspace is at least twice; that definitely put a halt on production for a while. I’m guessing anyone signing up now will have far less of a wait time then someone who signed up three years ago and is only just having their orders fulfilled.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:41 pm

They had a series of setbacks. Firstly moving to Berlin slowed them down more than they expected, then they had QC problems with their outsourced manufacturers, then they had high failure rates with their screen supplier, then their office landlord decided to renovate the building and kicked them out. It was the high screen failure rate that prompted V2, because Colin had to move to a colour TFT which required design changes, so he decided to make a number of changes along with that. Now it seems all that is behind them and they can begin ramping up production again.

I would definitely get on the list, it's a great machine and wait times are expected to shorten significantly.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Yeah I think with the move to V2 they’re hoping to move faster, get caught up with orders and eventually be working in real time... they probably could’ve taken money for pre-orders, invested that capital in speeding things up by growing their operation, but they chose not to take that path. Personally, I respect that. It costs nothing to get on the list. Now if they could only release the upgrade kits!!!

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Don't recall when i put myself on the list, but just got email saying that i'm in queue. Time to stop skimming the manual and start learning as well as possible without the device on hand :hmm:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:31 pm

They would hav been extremely unpopular if they had done that. I've seen people crucified on this forum by people acting like hunting pack animals for doing that!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 pm

whats the thing with the kits to update to a V2,
where would i have to look, respectivly to get on a list ?

i mean, it could take its time if you´re too late on the update list,
since its more than just a few dozend Cirklons that are out there ;)

well, i have to give the cirklon another try,
since i updated my display last year was i NEVER getting back to use my cirklon.
also since i lost all my data, due to my fault.
i had to start now entirely from new, with a blank Cirklon.
but if we get not friends i might sell it......but if i keep it do i want to have a V2
( all cirklons can be upgraded ? i have #093, a late of the first batch )

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:53 am

Funky40 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 pm
whats the thing with the kits to update to a V2,
where would i have to look, respectivly to get on a list ?

i mean, it could take its time if you´re too late on the update list,
since its more than just a few dozend Cirklons that are out there ;)

well, i have to give the cirklon another try,
since i updated my display last year was i NEVER getting back to use my cirklon.
also since i lost all my data, due to my fault.
i had to start now entirely from new, with a blank Cirklon.
but if we get not friends i might sell it......but if i keep it do i want to have a V2
( all cirklons can be upgraded ? i have #093, a late of the first batch )
There isn't a list for the upgrade kits, but Barbara is keeping a folder of people who email her with an upgrade kit notification request, and she will send emails to those people when the kits are available. But they have said they don't expect that there will end up being a long waitlist for the kits. So I recommend emailing Barbara, I guess that will also give them an indication of how many to make.

This is what Colin has said about the kits, in response to your question can all cirklons be upgraded
There are a few different mechanical revisions of the Cirklon hardware, which is going to be a bit of a pain as regards upgrade kits.
In order to add the LAN and USB host ports, kits will need to include a new rear panel.
There are two variants of the rear panel board that covers >90% of production.
The rear panel for the new units takes the same format IO board as the most recent production, so we will be ordering extra of those for most kits.
Depending on demand for kits for the previous revision, we will either need to do a variant of the new panel to take the older IO boards, or include a new IO board with the kit (people with older machines may prefer to refresh their IO connections anyway).
A new IO board and rear panel will certainly be needed for first run machines, as those used separate boards for the MIDI and SYNC sockets, and the USB/SD/power input, with different cabling.
The new mainboards and displays are easier to source, and production can scale more easily.
If there are people interested in an upgrade that just includes the new CPU board and display, that could be available more quickly, with the option to add the new rear panel, LAN and USB host sockets later.
Photos or video will let me explain this more easily...
Colin Fraser

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:55 am

Just received a waitlist confirmation email that stated the current wait time is around 18 months. Not sure how accurate that will end up being but that’s not too bad if it holds true. IMHO well worth the wait to avoid paying double for a secondhand V1.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Thank you @dubonair,
i will do.

gloamtrotter wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:55 am
IMHO well worth the wait to avoid paying double for a secondhand V1.
yeah, thats now the problem if i´d want to sell it.

personal OT vs. Cirklon:
i mean my cirklon was quasi unused over many years.
first have i had a bad working CV I7O board which was then replaced later on.
But it took me months to understand that indeed my CV IO was faulty.
That broke all my initial motivation, since all my patches( with my modular) i´ve donne were usually unusable after some days,
since the pitch CV was fluctuating. ( i was then new in this appartment, an old house, which made my analogue VCOs anyway nearly unusable for 1V/oct tracking work..........so, my confusion)

then after using the cirkloin as kind of a analog Sequenzer replacement, just using again and again the same pattern,
reprogramming it all the time over years went my display faulty and become less visible more and more,
and when i wanted to start again with the cirklon two years ago was it barely readable.
well, it was enough that i could operate my pattern, but a PITA to rename anything.
then i replaced my display but made no back up,....and forgot that i wiped all off the SD card when i made the FW update,
starting new with the cirklon.
so here i am, ......a again since 1 year quasi unused Cirklon cause i could not wrap my head around how i would want to organise my tracks,
startung with one sheme that has to be it,
since thats a major point with the Cirklon for me that the operation goes intuitiv, that i automaticly know, which track is doing what.

The machine as such has one *major* advantage over my Elektrons:
i can loop the bars as i like, accessed quickly, AND i can "deactivate" steps, but not losing the data.
Thats immesly important for me, for the type of realtime operations i´m doing.
Like: not (much) dealing with saved patterns and scenes. Work as it was your super luxury analogue sequenzer.

i can create "variations" by adding more Bars to a pattern, and then loop as i like,
i can use several tracks for the same destination and have so another option to think and deal with "Variations" of the same thing.
( never could become Friend with the song and scene sheme, ...AND file handling ......in the cirklon,
.....but i was allways happy using my cirklon "just" in this way)

well, its not whining, i know the cirklon is a fantastic piece of gear,
but my soul lies more at Elektron style P-locks side of the things.
Just that i´d need to have better "set a loop" possibilitys.
its anyway a indispensable thing for economic "pattern programming" work.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:56 pm

I spent a lot of time with Cirklon earlier this year, but then I got into a creative space where I was focussed much more on sound design using only the modular. It seems my subconscious was hard at work during that time, because I went back to Cirklon this past weekend, and everything just 'clicked'. Aux events, Accumulators, aux tracks, using Scenes to build a track piece by piece - all of these fell into place, and the power I'd been missing in Cirklon was unlocked.

I still need to figure out the workflow when I need to go back and change something in earlier scenes, and somehow keep track of various Pattern versions, but I'm sure that's been discussed over on the Sequentix forum, so I'll do some reading.

@Funky40 as you note, it's quite a different approach than Elektron. I really like the Elektron workflow too - P-locks especially are so powerful. Cirklon definitely took me longer to figure out, but I think in the end it actually allows me to structure things in a way that makes more sense to me, and it's integration with modular via the BOB is great.

I'd certainly encourage anyone to get on the list if you're interested - it doesn't cost anything and with production likely to ramp up, shouldn't be too long a wait.

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Are there any alternative sequencers with similar workflow and possibilities as the Cirklon?

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:33 pm

esmeets wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:57 pm
Are there any alternative sequencers with similar workflow and possibilities as the Cirklon?
Other hardware sequencers that come to mind are the Squarp pyramid, the social entropy engine, or the dreadbox sequencer (I forget the name), but as far as I know nothing offers the depth of possibility that the cirklon’s aux functions generate. When I was in the market for a sequencer, I came to this conclusion, joined the waitlist and then just bought a beatstep pro to tide me over whilst I waited.

Edit: also worth mentioning that the cirklon’s shear reliability and clock accuracy is (again, as far as I know from what I’ve read of user experience) simply unmatched.

Edit 2: in euro-land the five12 vector sequencer looks pretty damn cool.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:19 pm

esmeets wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:57 pm
Midibox Seq4+ shares the sheer “quantity” of sequencing possible with Cirklon (8 DIN outputs, 4 inputs, 16 tracks of up to 256 steps)
No aux events or accumulators, but there are 4 internal busses that you can use to send track data to modify other tracks and the sequencer’s operation itself.

DIY only, but there are certified builders on the site to contact.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:26 pm

if we are talking modules, nerdseq is quite capable as well, especially if the tracker workflow is to your liking - not to mention the forthcoming desktop version..

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 pm

i had the engine and loved it but the cirklon so far is unmatched. i have heard nothing but good things about the akai force. i like to try out new gear and workflows so that’s on the list for the future,
TOO FAR GONE

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Question for cirklon owners. Could someone give me outer dimensions, i know its 3U but i would like to foresee space inside a 'to build' eurocase for the cirklon which is coming next year. The main thing i have to know is , is the unit straight when built in a 19"rack, or does the casing have an angle? Also what is the distance from the top side till the first output connector (bus, cvio)?so i know how deep the modules in the row above the cirklon could be.
Thanks in advance .

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 pm

The top panel is 80mm deep. The distance from the panel to the top of the midi cables is about 38mm and the distance from the panel to the top of the DB25 connector connected to the analogue bus output is about 18mm.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Halfgeleider wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm
Question for cirklon owners. Could someone give me outer dimensions, i know its 3U but i would like to foresee space inside a 'to build' eurocase for the cirklon which is coming next year. The main thing i have to know is , is the unit straight when built in a 19"rack, or does the casing have an angle? Also what is the distance from the top side till the first output connector (bus, cvio)?so i know how deep the modules in the row above the cirklon could be.
Thanks in advance .
You can see the angles of the panels on the Sequentix site https://www.sequentix.com/shop/cirklon- ... -sequencer. The rear panel with the outputs is perpendicular to the front panel.

The rear panel with the outputs is 80mm deep. The distance from the panel to the top of the midi cables is about 38mm and the distance from the panel to the top of the DB25 connector connected to the analogue bus output is about 18mm.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm

If the rack is a type where you have access to the inside and you don’t want to waste rackspace with jacks, you can move the whole jack panel from the back to the bottom of the unit. With the jack field hidden inside the rack, it only takes up 3U and you can mount stuff right next to it.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:00 pm

nangu wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm
If the rack is a type where you have access to the inside and you don’t want to waste rackspace with jacks, you can move the whole jack panel from the back to the bottom of the unit. With the jack field hidden inside the rack, it only takes up 3U and you can mount stuff right next to it.
Aah yeah I'd forgotten that.

Return to “General Gear”