Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

thomachine
Common Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by thomachine » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:24 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 pm
i had the engine and loved it but the cirklon so far is unmatched. i have heard nothing but good things about the akai force. i like to try out new gear and workflows so that’s on the list for the future,
I really like the Force as a "main hub", but it doesnt have all those fancy sequencing possibilites. Its more straight forward than Elektron or Pyramid Squarp. (Havent tried the Cirklon) But you have alot of tracks available, and a good visual overview of all sequences and clips. Perfect if you have other gear for those probabilites and randomness if thats something you use alot.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:40 am

Ok thanks a lot,
i saw pictures so the casing is indeed straight down but i wanted to be sure. The jack panel replacement is good to know, so it can be mounted on the bottom side if i'm correct? The case will be 150mm deep so if the height is 80mm i still have about 60mm for the CV and midi cables..... it wont be a closed rack, i mean it comes with a lid, but i tend to make the case so the modules can be tilted in an angle when the lid is removed.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:08 am

Does anyone know the output resistance value of the CVIO board? Is it different depending on the breakout module used? If so does anyone know what it is with the eurorack breakout module?

I’m trying to figure out if I’m likely to get more accurate results from using a buffered mult or a passive mult to distribute pitch from one of the CVIO outs to 2,3 or 4 analog oscillators.

I expect the cirklon’s CVIO will have such low output resistance that it will be better to use a passive mult and avoid the risk of unwanted DC bias, but want to check if anyone has experience / knowledge before I buy the mults.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

neubauer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by neubauer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 am

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:53 am
So I recommend emailing Barbara
Barbara answering emails?.
I am waiting her answer since Mai when he promised me one unit for early 2020 on the waiting list since 2017

maciej83
Common Wiggler

Post by maciej83 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am

@up: check the sequentix forum, i've read they started to ship orders placed in may 2017, so you may be close.

kreiff
Common Wiggler

Post by kreiff » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am

True! I was May 25th 2017, just received my Cirklon yesterday. Got the go ahead to order last Monday. Delivered yesterday. Quck turn-around once you're off the waitlist.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 pm

They contacted me a couple weeks ago. I had forgotten about it as I was also 2017. Not interested in it anymore so that should help someone move up anyway.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Are the new versions the ones selling now?

maciej83
Common Wiggler

Post by maciej83 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:40 pm

@up: basing on the sequentix forum - yes, everyone are getting v2.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:00 pm

neubauer wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 am
dubonaire wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:53 am
So I recommend emailing Barbara
Barbara answering emails?.
I am waiting her answer since Mai when he promised me one unit for early 2020 on the waiting list since 2017
Well she answered my email when I asked to be notified when the upgrade kits are available. I'm not their spokesperson.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:00 pm

RickKleffel wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:06 pm
Are the new versions the ones selling now?
Yep it's all V2s now.

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:57 pm

kreiff wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am
True! I was May 25th 2017, just received my Cirklon yesterday. Got the go ahead to order last Monday. Delivered yesterday. Quck turn-around once you're off the waitlist.
Yea

I believe I was from Feb 2017 and I just received mine about a month ago. So they seem to be making their way through early 2017 orders at this point.
I had pretty much forgotten that I was even on the list.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 pm

So waitlist is more like 3 years not 1.5 yrs(18mmths) like quoted on preorder sign up? Or was that the case and it isn’t anymore?

maciej83
Common Wiggler

Post by maciej83 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:58 pm

basically - yes, the waiting time rised up significantly. in the meantime they moved from scotland to germany, had problems with new hq... everything is described well on the sequentix forum.
after all - it is worth the wait. and used cirklons pop up regularly here at b/s/t forum if one doesn't want to wait.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 pm

magicdust wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 pm
So waitlist is more like 3 years not 1.5 yrs(18mmths) like quoted on preorder sign up? Or was that the case and it isn’t anymore?
Now that they are in production again I think you will see the waitlist time will get shorter.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:29 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 pm
magicdust wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 pm
Now that they are in production again I think you will see the waitlist time will get shorter.
Thanks for the response. Looking forward to the date I get an email. Only signed up a couple of months ago.

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:17 pm

** New post to Sequentix forum suggests supply will finally match demand! **

Either early next year or by the end of next year. It's a bit ambiguous. Have asked for clarification.

Also explains that nobody should ever have to have had 18 months chucked on the wait time but was due to string of unforeseen things.

http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.php?p=24201#p24201

Colin Fraser:
There seems to be some misconceptions about waiting times, and the length of this thread makes it impossible to find the relevant details, so I'll re-cap...
The last original Cirklons were produced in 2018.
These came from our former UK PCB and assembly contractor, who had been doing a great job in the year or so before we relocated to Berlin.
However they simply "couldn't get the staff" after the disastrous Brexit vote, and were no longer able to meet our standards.
We decided at the end of 2018 we'd take 6 months to develop an updated model while we established new local suppliers.
Development paused at the beginning of 2019, when we were unexpectedly evicted from our office in Kreuzberg.
Cirklon 2 was finally ready for production at the start of this year, just in time for widespread Covid lock-downs in Asia.
Delays to arrivals of components meant production didn't start until June.
The initial production runs are inevitably slower than the rate we expect to achieve, as we iron out the processes with our assembly guys, and make minor changes to boards.

So... the waiting time of 3+ years for those who have been longest on the list includes at least 18 months extra wait while we went through the development/relocation/global pandemic phase.
By early next year, we expect to be producing units at a sufficiently higher rate than demand, to be able to eliminate the waiting list by the end of the year.

CVIO boards are currently out of stock. They are ordered separately from the Cirklon board orders, and are due in 4-5 weeks.

We've seen a few examples of customers taking delivery of new units, then immediately posting them for sale on Reverb/eBay/etc., at a significant mark-up. If you're considering paying that kind of extra money to save "3 years wait", a little more patience might be worthwhile.
We have also seen some obvious scam auctions on eBay, so buyer beware.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 pm

once you get a cirklon never look back
TOO FAR GONE

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 pm
If supply does meet demand it'll be an interesting world where everyone who wants a Cirklon can have one :eek:

Interesting to see if it remains relatively niche/small user base or goes mainstream

I guess it'll never be cheap

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:31 pm

tioJim wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:19 pm
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 pm
If supply does meet demand it'll be an interesting world where everyone who wants a Cirklon can have one :eek:

Interesting to see if it remains relatively niche/small user base or goes mainstream

I guess it'll never be cheap
I suppose that depends on what you would define as niche for a hardware sequencer. There are 3,000 users on the Sequentix forum. Spend some time on the FACT and Electronic Beats websites and notice the number of prominent techno and house producers with one in the studio, most with it as the centrepiece.

I don't really see why that would make the world more interesting, except perhaps there may be more people showing how to do interesting things with it. It's no different than studios full of the same synths, mixing desks, samplers and DAWs. What may likely happen is the second hand price will drop, and the way some people buy gear and then sell it after 3 weeks there may be quite a few second hand up for sale.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:59 pm

Been on the list since mid 2018, would still like to try one out but not enough to pay current resale prices. I think I might have moved on.

Glad that they're getting back up and running, but I can't say I'll be on board if my name comes up. Wish I could rent/borrow one for a while to see if it works for me or at least chase the remaining FOMO out of my system.

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spudboyblues » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:50 am

You'll have to forgive a healthy dose of skepticism...been on the waiting list since Nov 2017, every 6 months there's some update about how things are going to move more quickly. I'm happy to wait for mine and support the manufacturer, but as for wait times, it's 3 years at present, and based on this thread to date (and stories pretty much everywhere else music-gear-oriented) you'd be pretty foolish to assume otherwise until proven as such. As has been said, they turn up on b/s/t or reverb or ebay so there's certainly boxes available if you want them faster.

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:49 am

spudboyblues wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:50 am
You'll have to forgive a healthy dose of skepticism...been on the waiting list since Nov 2017, every 6 months there's some update about how things are going to move more quickly. I'm happy to wait for mine and support the manufacturer, but as for wait times, it's 3 years at present, and based on this thread to date (and stories pretty much everywhere else music-gear-oriented) you'd be pretty foolish to assume otherwise until proven as such. As has been said, they turn up on b/s/t or reverb or ebay so there's certainly boxes available if you want them faster.
March 2018 for me!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 am

spudboyblues wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:50 am
Be as skeptical as you want. But I don't know why you are basing your views on this thread, the place to track things is the Sequentix forum. Honestly you seem to think they are Apple, Yamaha or Korg. Many boutique manufacturers have long lead times and are not that commercial. Macbeth is one company that come to mind, there are quite a few others, and as far as I can tell there are many 4U and 5U module companies in the same boat. These companies are not your water or electricity utilities. They have no obligation to provide you anything. They are boutique companies with limited means. No one forces you to use a Cirklon and you can make music without one. This may not be the way you think but I've never understood the aggravation.

Looks like you are getting close.
Barbara wrote:We are up to 5th June 2017 on the waiting list.

We will be continuing to produce and sell Cirklons in October and November.

It's difficult to know how quickly we'll work through the list, but I will post updates here from time-to-time with our progress.

Cheers

Barbara

Barbara Fraser
Sequentix GmbH
Colin wrote:There seems to be some misconceptions about waiting times, and the length of this thread makes it impossible to find the relevant details, so I'll re-cap...
The last original Cirklons were produced in 2018.
These came from our former UK PCB and assembly contractor, who had been doing a great job in the year or so before we relocated to Berlin.
However they simply "couldn't get the staff" after the disastrous Brexit vote, and were no longer able to meet our standards.
We decided at the end of 2018 we'd take 6 months to develop an updated model while we established new local suppliers.
Development paused at the beginning of 2019, when we were unexpectedly evicted from our office in Kreuzberg.
Cirklon 2 was finally ready for production at the start of this year, just in time for widespread Covid lock-downs in Asia.
Delays to arrivals of components meant production didn't start until June.
The initial production runs are inevitably slower than the rate we expect to achieve, as we iron out the processes with our assembly guys, and make minor changes to boards.

So... the waiting time of 3+ years for those who have been longest on the list includes at least 18 months extra wait while we went through the development/relocation/global pandemic phase.
By early next year, we expect to be producing units at a sufficiently higher rate than demand, to be able to eliminate the waiting list by the end of the year.

CVIO boards are currently out of stock. They are ordered separately from the Cirklon board orders, and are due in 4-5 weeks.

We've seen a few examples of customers taking delivery of new units, then immediately posting them for sale on Reverb/eBay/etc., at a significant mark-up. If you're considering paying that kind of extra money to save "3 years wait", a little more patience might be worthwhile.
We have also seen some obvious scam auctions on eBay, so buyer beware.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm

I've had my Cirklon since 2012 and have yet to release a single Cheetah EP. It's very strange, given the hype that's built up around it you'd think that the Cirklon is some sort of Techno Excalibur. But alas, it's merely a very excellent tool/toy. Well worth the wait and the expense, for sure. But also not worth putting your dreams on hold for, given the vast array of alternatives available.

If you can't be productive or find pleasure in music production without a Cirklon, that's unlikely to change once you finally get one. Endlessly bitching about the perceived shortcomings of a very small company that has been extremely forthcoming about the entire situation isn't going to make the experience any sweeter.

Return to “General Gear”