Sequentix Cirklon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:43 pm

miminashi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm
I've had my Cirklon since 2012 and have yet to release a single Cheetah EP. It's very strange, given the hype that's built up around it you'd think that the Cirklon is some sort of Techno Excalibur. But alas, it's merely a very excellent tool/toy. Well worth the wait and the expense, for sure. But also not worth putting your dreams on hold for, given the vast array of alternatives available.

If you can't be productive or find pleasure in music production without a Cirklon, that's unlikely to change once you finally get one. Endlessly bitching about the perceived shortcomings of a very small company that has been extremely forthcoming about the entire situation isn't going to make the experience any sweeter.
welp, not much more to say :tu:
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:34 pm

miminashi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm
I've had my Cirklon since 2012 and have yet to release a single Cheetah EP. It's very strange, given the hype that's built up around it you'd think that the Cirklon is some sort of Techno Excalibur. But alas, it's merely a very excellent tool/toy. Well worth the wait and the expense, for sure. But also not worth putting your dreams on hold for, given the vast array of alternatives available.

If you can't be productive or find pleasure in music production without a Cirklon, that's unlikely to change once you finally get one. Endlessly bitching about the perceived shortcomings of a very small company that has been extremely forthcoming about the entire situation isn't going to make the experience any sweeter.
:agree:

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:53 pm

spudboyblues wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:50 am
You'll have to forgive a healthy dose of skepticism...been on the waiting list since Nov 2017, every 6 months there's some update about how things are going to move more quickly. I'm happy to wait for mine and support the manufacturer, but as for wait times, it's 3 years at present, and based on this thread to date (and stories pretty much everywhere else music-gear-oriented) you'd be pretty foolish to assume otherwise until proven as such. As has been said, they turn up on b/s/t or reverb or ebay so there's certainly boxes available if you want them faster.
I get the skepticism. but to be fair, they have been up front about what's going on. and the time line you state is accurate: initially it was a 1.5 year wait, then between moving, changing suppliers and the pandemic, another 1.5 years. sounds like they've made it through half a year of orders pretty quickly though, so that may be the proof you're after that they can actually get through their list. I'm sure they don't like all the negativity associated with them, because of this massive delay, so are likely very keen to make that happen.

regardless, it's still a very niche product from a small company. and really, it's out of our control anyway. you either accept the wait and deal with it, or move on to something else. there's lots of other options.
dubonaire wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 am
Many boutique manufacturers have long lead times and are not that commercial. Macbeth is one company that come to mind, there are quite a few others
yeah Cwejman are another one that come to mind. I think it's got to be frustrating being a smaller company and having your product be desirable enough that people will wait years for it, or purchase it for well over list price elsewhere; yet you're stuck in a situation where it's too costly to scale up production, and even if you do, the market is small enough that you exhaust your customer base relatively quickly, and you're sitting on unsold units. or that's my impression of it anyway... :despair:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 pm

I'll be honest, I got mine probably close to two years ago, and paid a few hundred over retail. I don't regret it, because I have used the shit out of it and ultimately it was my end goal. I didn't want to pay for and then flip intermediate units to get where I wanted to be. I had very specific goals. A large amount of MIDI and analog gear that needed control, the ability to program probability based steps, step repeats, different step lengths per track, etc (which are all things I liked about Elektron, without the limitations). It has made the past couple years more enjoyable for me, and has taught me a lot.

That said, at this point, I would not do the same thing. At least not now. I would wait a bit more and see what happens. The V2 is shipping, they have a new infrastructure in place, and they are saying things are about to ramp up. I would give them the benefit of the doubt, save money and get an up to date unit. I DEF would not pay retail price for a v1 at this point. The people selling V1 Cirklon's usually have an air of douchiness too, like they're doing you a favor selling you a marked up piece of equipment.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:08 pm

chiasticon wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:53 pm
I think it's got to be frustrating being a smaller company and having your product be desirable enough that people will wait years for it
To me this sounds like a perfect business.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:12 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:08 pm
chiasticon wrote:
I think it's got to be frustrating being a smaller company and having your product be desirable enough that people will wait years for it
of course! but did you read the rest of my point....? :roll:

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Finally, just put myself on the waiting list. Been thinking about doing it for several years, I really should have just done it back then :doh:

On the plus side, there’s time for me to set aside the money, for me it’s a significant investment and I’m fine with waiting

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm

It's clear at this point that the free market has failed us. We need the NGOs to step in with a One Cirklon Per Manchild program to help under-served communities arrange musical events in time.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:18 pm

chiasticon wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:12 pm
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
Yes I did. In my experience happy business people in small companies always have less employees than they need. So they have their schedule filled and are happy with what's here. Unhappy people expand and talk about growth of their company while the miss see their kid raise.

I don't see why anybody should stock up their workshop to supply a demand if they already earn enough. I always thought you have to put a reservation early enough for a table in a proper restaurant.

"Greed, for the lack of better word, is good." Gordon Gekko, 1987

This is all a bit exaggareted and simplyfied I know but I hope you get the picture.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:18 pm
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
Yes I did. In my experience happy business people in small companies always have less employees than they need. So they have their schedule filled and are happy with what's here. Unhappy people expand and talk about growth of their company while the miss see their kid raise.

I don't see why anybody should stock up their workshop to supply a demand if they already earn enough. I always thought you have to put a reservation early enough for a table in a proper restaurant.

This is all a bit exaggareted and simplyfied I know but I hope you get the picture.
Fully agree with this. Capitalist addiction to economic growth is the biggest existential threat we face (in so much as it is exclusively responsible for climate change, amongst other woes). Although sequentix are too small to ever cause a serious problem I do think the fact they eschew growth is actually quite commendable.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:35 pm

slumberjack wrote: This is all a bit exaggareted and simplyfied I know but I hope you get the picture.
fair enough. good points, and for the most part I agree. and yeah obviously my point is a simplification of these situations as well. just pointing out it’s not so easy to up-size to meet demand/make more cash, even if you’d like to.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Carrousel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

Fully agree with this. Capitalist addiction to economic growth is the biggest existential threat we face (in so much as it is exclusively responsible for climate change, amongst other woes). Although sequentix are too small to ever cause a serious problem I do think the fact they eschew growth is actually quite commendable.
The commentary is pretty off topic, but I can’t resist. Are either of you small business owners?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:45 pm
Carrousel wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

The commentary is pretty off topic, but I can’t resist. Are either of you small business owners?
My parents did, so did both of my gradfathers, all my three uncles were, yes I'm one too and so are four out of ten siblings/cousins. And if you can imagine that in such environment you get to know a lot of other owners since your relatives have also friends with businesses and they keep talking about stuff. ;)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Carrousel wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

I’m actually an ophthalmologist like you, although I’m very near the start of my specialty training. I work for the amazing NHS so I’m saved from having to worry about business :hihi:
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:54 am

Jfc.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:01 am

For some reason, all threads on this site that are interesting to me to turn into metadiscussions on how other people should run their business. This is really weird.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:02 am

miminashi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm
It's clear at this point that the free market has failed us. We need the NGOs to step in with a One Cirklon Per Manchild program to help under-served communities arrange musical events in time.
This had me genuinely laugh out loud. Thanks!

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:01 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 pm
That said, at this point, I would not do the same thing. At least not now. I would wait a bit more and see what happens. The V2 is shipping, they have a new infrastructure in place, and they are saying things are about to ramp up. I would give them the benefit of the doubt, save money and get an up to date unit. I DEF would not pay retail price for a v1 at this point. The people selling V1 Cirklon's usually have an air of douchiness too, like they're doing you a favor selling you a marked up piece of equipment.
This is where I am now, waiting patiently.. I was on the waiting list years ago, but I thought my name came and went so I sent another email about getting back on the list, haven't heard back.
Are either of you small business owners?
I am. I'm currently reading the books by the Basecamp founders (Rework and It Doesn't Have to be Crazy at Work), which provide good rejection of the "businesses must grow continuously to survive" orthodoxy.
We need the NGOs to step in with a One Cirklon Per Manchild program to help under-served communities arrange musical events in time.
Actual laugh out loud on this one, well done :D

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:51 am

I would surely insert photoshopped images of toddlers and pets triggering Cirklon patterns here (or photos, if I had any toddlers or pets...) :)
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Carrousel wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

My parents did, so did both of my gradfathers, all my three uncles were, yes I'm one too and so are four out of ten siblings/cousins. And if you can imagine that in such environment you get to know a lot of other owners since your relatives have also friends with businesses and they keep talking about stuff. ;)
I dunno dude, not sure how you can actually believe that stuff then. It's an economy of scale I guess. But the notion of employing less people than you need to get a job done seems silly. I am a small business owner myself, and know plenty of other small business owners. Those that employ less people than what they need do so to make sure they make more money, and the do it at the cost of quality of product they produce by taking short cuts. Those same people under-value their employees, pay them less than they deserve and often taken advantage of them. Growing a business is not necessarily about greed, or about financial gain. Sometimes to do something truly unique and exceptional, a business has to be grown and refusal to do so is commitment to maintaining the status quo. Of course, it doesn't mean growing a company into a Roland or Korg. But a firm commitment to not growing can be detrimental. Otherwise the notion that working only enough to make what you need in the moment is something very foreign to me. Personally I know my earning potential is limited as my field has a life span to it. I'm definitely trying to make as much money now as I can, and I'm unapologetic haha. My work does have a fair of amount yearly variation, so best to stay busy when you are busy. Of course I've been cautious to not grow my business to quickly, nor have a built a massive machine that I have to kill myself to keep moving forward. But the minute I feel my employees are spread too thin, or jobs aren't getting done, I start thinking about hiring another person. Aside from myself, I employ 6 people. I pay for all their health insurance, and it's a premium plan at that. They are paid more than their counterparts.

Anyways, mostly off topic. But I suspect Colin and Barbara have a very clear business model in mind and are comfortable in the size of their operation currently.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 pm

Carrousel wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 am
Sinamsis wrote:
Carrousel wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

I’m actually an ophthalmologist like you, although I’m very near the start of my specialty training. I work for the amazing NHS so I’m saved from having to worry about business :hihi:
Ha I'll have to PM you later to not get terribly off topic. Congratulations and condolences! The world of ophthalmology is a mixed bag.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 pm
Carrousel wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
Carrousel wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

Ha I'll have to PM you later to not get terribly off topic. Congratulations and condolences! The world of ophthalmology is a mixed bag.
Glad you two are seeing eye to eye.

Sorry, my jokes are getting cornea, but seeing as you are responsible for 2020 vision how come you didn't see the pandemic coming?

I'll stop now.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:10 am

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 pm

Sorry, my jokes are getting cornea, but seeing as you are responsible for 2020 vision how come you didn't see the pandemic coming?

I'll stop now.
sequentix called, they want their cirklon back.
TOO FAR GONE

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 pm
Carrousel wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
Carrousel wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

I'll stop now.

:lol: :cloud: :party:

I enjoyed that very much.

Interestingly the Chinese whistleblower on the whole thing was an ophthalmologist

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:50 pm

Sorry to continue this OT commentary, but I had no idea there were other Ophthalmologist wigglers out there. We need to form a subforum !

Return to “General Gear”