Spiritual successor to Ensoniq SQ80/ESQ? (Small)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Spiritual successor to Ensoniq SQ80/ESQ? (Small)

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 05, 2020 6:49 pm

I’d say prophet 12, but nothing compares to the ESQ-1, such a cool/weird synth
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue May 05, 2020 7:35 pm

sinfunc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 pm
sorry, don't know or have that patch, but i like the idea of a spiritual successor to the esq-1/sq-80, so i just want to answer the original post with an answer that was impossible in 2012: novation peak?
Nah... too bright and shiny. I honestly think it's the Prophet-12. Same sort of murky vibe and similar CEM filter.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed May 06, 2020 1:13 am

What a pity the excellent SQ8L VST was abandoned! It nails the sound. I keep a Windows 7 laptop just to run that and a few other Windows plugins (Emulator X and Cobalt).

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 am

I have had an ESQ1 for years and it still surprises me with what it’s capable of. Like others have said, it’s weird, fat, digital, heavy, unwieldy. But you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun May 10, 2020 11:19 am

The hydrasynth seems to have some of the interface if not the sound.

jetboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jetboy » Sun May 10, 2020 4:04 pm

dang_motu wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 am
Yo, I hate to do this, but does anyone have even a short clip of an SQ-80 preset called "Bouncy"? I really need to see if it matches up to this sound I am looking for. Many thanks!
Is it in this SQ80 freeware? I think the sounds are sampled:

https://www.samplescience.ca/p/sq8rom-d ... -page.html

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm

I've tried most everything available recently in the hopes of finding something that could scratch the ESQ-1 itch without constantly breaking down (I have two nonfunctional ones in my closet) and without being so large. I have'nt found it yet. Blofeld, Peak, Monomachine, Ambika, etc... there just isn't anything that captures that special weird lo-fi digital / analog grit that the esq / sq -80's have.

Closest thing I have come across (unexpectedly) is the 1010 synthbox - the alternative firmware for the bitbox. I was talking to Aaron from 1010 music
about this at NAMM one year and he informed me that one of the engineers who helped with the synth engine and work on the wavetables was previously an ensoniq employee. So that was interesting.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 pm

pre55ure wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm
I've tried most everything available recently in the hopes of finding something that could scratch the ESQ-1 itch without constantly breaking down (I have two nonfunctional ones in my closet) and without being so large. I have'nt found it yet. Blofeld, Peak, Monomachine, Ambika, etc... there just isn't anything that captures that special weird lo-fi digital / analog grit that the esq / sq -80's have.

Closest thing I have come across (unexpectedly) is the 1010 synthbox - the alternative firmware for the bitbox. I was talking to Aaron from 1010 music
about this at NAMM one year and he informed me that one of the engineers who helped with the synth engine and work on the wavetables was previously an ensoniq employee. So that was interesting.
That's interesting. Don't know much about those but it sounds worth checking out.

Ensoniqs seem to be classically American in terms of build quality--good ones work forever; problematic ones become a white elephant that are never really "fixed". I've had two SQ-80s--my first I had for 15? totally unserviced years and it only ever crashed a handful of times and the battery only stopped working in the last couple of years (despite years of the "warning" before that). The biggest issue was the fading/jumping screen but i could resolve that temporarily with a resolder of the power line. I replaced it with the current one only because it was a bit nicer cosmetically, was serviced, and doesn't have the screen issue. That one has been equally stable. But yeah, if you get a machine that crashes like crazy, then you might as well give up on that one and just spend a bit more on a rock solid one. they are worth it!

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Thu May 21, 2020 4:57 pm

As if to just reinforce why I would love to find a modern day replacement for the ESQ-1. My current "functional" ESQ-1 (as of may 10th when I made my last post here) just crapped out on me. This is #3 Ughh. I'm so tired of hauling these onto my workbench and almost never being able to definitively diagnose the problem. *sigh*

Back to building Buchla stuff. It might be weird but at least when it stops working I understand why (and can fix it).
Maybe a small ESQ type synth should be next years project.

Return to “General Gear”