What new booty did you buy?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Roland D-50. Another box of surprises...

The good:
It's got a M.Ex board.

The bad:
The bender (which works, but felt a bit loose) is held together with Blu Tac!
One day I'll get an avatar!

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:22 am

Siglent SDS1000X-E:

It's due to arrive Thursday, I gotta work right through the damn weekend! Grrr.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 am

Gecho v2 - with better MIDI functionality, cv sync, micro SD card recording and sounds from MI Clouds - fun little box and much improved over the v1 :)

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Picked up a vintage Casio stand for my newly arrived 1000P. A little pricey compared to some of the newer stands, but I loved the silver and black that would match the keyboard itself. Spacey!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Thought I'd report out on my CT-1000P in case others are thinking about one.

While not very versatile, I like the sounds it has. I can recreate that lead from Kraftwerk's Computer Love in a heartbeat. It has some quirks, but overall I like it. I think it is because of the quirks; I've never seen a keyboard/synth with quite the same approach.

I'll be exploring more, but it has a wonderful vintage sound and aesthetic to it. I look forward to seeing what it can do. If anyone knows where I can pick up a Microlink ML-1 that was made for the 1000P, let me know.

What I like:

- the 'effects' - they actually work, the heavy vibrato gives some nice electronic sounds, the others are nice as well
- the sound programming; it's strange, but you can get some interesting sounds including an arpeggiated sounding tone
- the split keyboard and the fact it can be a different tone in the 2 lower octaves
- the feel of the keys, they actually feel great to me, would be even nicer if they had a little bit of weight, but absolutely unnecessary
- the arpeggiator, the up/down sounds interesting to be honest; I like overall how it comes across - still trying to figure out more on it; it doesn't seem to be 'standard' by any means

What I haven't explored yet:

- the programming of the arpeggiator (with rests and order)

What I don't like:

- the lack of a clock input/output (input preferred), seems that could have been incorporated even in 1982
- the fact that when you split the keyboard, it shifts the lower two octaves up an octave - would have been nice to simply have had 2 buttons working similar to the effects to +1 octave or -1 octave (whether shifted up or not)
- the fact the arpeggiator only effects this lower 2 octaves
- lack of a pitch bend (bonus if it could have been given the glissando from the CT-6000 - that would have been the bomb)
- the tempo goes to super slow and the pot is continuous and a point before it gets as fast I would like it to get, it rolls back to slow again; I'd prefer it not be a continuous pot - I would rather it have stops. It feels the oddest choice on the instrument to be honest.

While certainly not the greatest of keyboards or synths, it is unique. And for that I am glad to own one. I wanted one back in the day and never got one. Now I have one and while it will never be my favorite, I like its character. I can't wait to pair it with some more modern effects and synths I have, that I think will be a blast (particularly the new Plankton Electronics Spice).
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Fireface UC, second hand.

Upgrade from my K-Mix.
For some reason it wouldn’t work with a USB-C cable, had to revert to the included one and use a nasty adaptator.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:15 am

Was looking for something else and this looks pristine - ouch.

FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 am

Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 am

MindMachine wrote:Was looking for something else and this looks pristine - ouch.

Oooh shiny! :nana:

xradii
Common Wiggler

Post by xradii » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 am

Purchased a Model:Samples yesterday. Will probably use it as my drum machine once I add a Digitone or an Octatrack....regardless, happy to be able to get back into hardware again. :party:

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 am

Got cheap wit no psu... hoping i have a warmish degredation inducer here... took it home, stripped it, cleaned it, reassembled it (with enclosure upside down) :animal: Image

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 am

MindMachine wrote:Was looking for something else and this looks pristine - ouch.

:party:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:25 am

Now the quest for a controller ended since I added a FH-2 and the K-Board mpe surface.
Plus it doubles as keyboard for the rest in my studio too and afaik you can link two of them together.

Seriously thinking about digitalizing my record collection apart from sampling duties.[/img]
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 pm

A Grendel Grenadier RA-9 :sb:

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:09 pm

CosmicFlight wrote:A Grendel Grenadier RA-9 :sb:
It's a thing of beauty... I love the drones you can get out of it.
---

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:16 am

There, i did it. Fuck yes.Image

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 am

Korg Minilogue - just got here this afternoon, totally digging it :) Presets are shit though.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

jmax313
Common Wiggler

Post by jmax313 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:22 am

Image[/img]

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 pm

(the Jasper's rack), though the JP-6 is out of its flight case for the first time in years I've just resurrected the DX7 - had to replace the muting relay.

Impressed with the rack. I might have to get a second one.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:59 am

Got some decent converters and got for "free" the Satellite quad DSP card.

Hit the 6+2 plug deal. Happy to finally monitor and record with 0 latency regardless of buffer settings.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:30 am

gslug wrote: ...snip...
(the Jasper's rack) ...snip...
After a a google I found their site - pricey, though they look unique and excellent in construction. What I couldn't find was how you you get wheels as an option except by purchasing 6 tiers.

I like this unit - it looks like it doesn't take up much space. I guess it is more designed for studio use(?), as it doesn't look like a fast teardown/put up type of rack.
---

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:35 pm

pmboos wrote:After a a google I found their site - pricey, though they look unique and excellent in construction. What I couldn't find was how you you get wheels as an option except by purchasing 6 tiers.

I like this unit - it looks like it doesn't take up much space. I guess it is more designed for studio use(?), as it doesn't look like a fast teardown/put up type of rack.
It's not cheap, but feels very solid and is long enough that I can add some extra arms to put drum machines, etc next to the synths.

The default configurations are a bit odd: Only 1 tier and 6 tier have wheels as an option, but the wheels themselves are available separately in "system parts". It took me about 30 minutes to put it together, so not ideal for gigging, though I've seen pictures of similar racks on stage in the '80s.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 pm

gslug wrote:
pmboos wrote:After a a google I found their site - pricey, though they look unique and excellent in construction. What I couldn't find was how you you get wheels as an option except by purchasing 6 tiers.

It's not cheap, but feels very solid and is long enough that I can add some extra arms to put drum machines, etc next to the synths.

The default configurations are a bit odd: Only 1 tier and 6 tier have wheels as an option, but the wheels themselves are available separately in "system parts". It took me about 30 minutes to put it together, so not ideal for gigging, though I've seen pictures of similar racks on stage in the '80s.
Thanks for filling those details in!
---

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:40 am

Just got this, third time I’ve bought it, once new the other second hand. This ones in great condition.
First bit of equipment I ever bought , it was this or the SU700 , and chose this, In retrospect should have gone with the SU700 but I got this just for the effects board really. Turning on the zip soon reminded me how annoying it is, but I knew that.
Bonus is the vocoder on this thing is excellent.

We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 am

pmboos wrote:
gslug wrote:

Thanks for filling those details in!
Yes these are the droids yr looking for! I have a black 4 tier, love it because it’s not as deep as the A frames, I need to get castors too.
https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-1006-Cas ... 00-mm.html
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Return to “General Gear”