What new booty did you buy?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Re: What new booty did you buy?

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 pm

[ nah ]
Last edited by Jim the Oldbie on Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 am
doombient.music wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:19 am
I mentioned them to a bassist friend of mine whose musicianship I really respect and he went absolutely bat shit mad at the mere mention of their name! He started spitting nails. It was a really strong reaction; negative in case I haven't made that obvious. He went off on a massive rant. It was really, really bizarre
So your friend is a bassist? Is his name Felix Pappalardi? Can he keep up with Ralphe Armstrong?

How can he complain about any band or any musician? I don't remember Paul McCartney complaining about anyone.

I liked the links performances. She's a better bassist than I am.
edit - this was actually a syzgywell quote - apologies for getting the quotes wrong.

pm to doombient
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 pm
MindMachine wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 am
doombient.music wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:19 am
I mentioned them to a bassist friend of mine whose musicianship I really respect and he went absolutely bat shit mad at the mere mention of their name! He started spitting nails. It was a really strong reaction; negative in case I haven't made that obvious. He went off on a massive rant. It was really, really bizarre
So your friend is a bassist? Is his name Felix Pappalardi? Can he keep up with Ralphe Armstrong?

How can he complain about any band or any musician? I don't remember Paul McCartney complaining about anyone.

I liked the links performances. She's a better bassist than I am.
edit - this was actually a syzgywell quote - apologies for getting the quotes wrong.

pm to doombient
freakynorth wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:28 pm
Just got a Lexicon Prime Time 93 this week. Pure insanity.
Dream come true.
I just scored one a few weeks ago. Still patiently dialing in pastoral to insane. Congrats. It was a tough decision to take the dive.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Fri May 08, 2020 10:49 pm

2FD8F6C0-BBD4-49AB-A5AA-655CFC7AECAE.jpeg
Is that the dude from the WMD demos
:doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm
a grand piano
Congrats Lisa! :party:
(that's some hard core analog goodness)
commodorejohn wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am
Jealous!
Jim the Oldbie wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:41 pm
Wow! Congratulations Lisa!
pmboos wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:20 pm
Yeah def Lisa - enjoy... I hear programming the sounds are a breeze. You can always get that piano patch you want. :-)
Yeah, it can’t do a decent 303 bassline to save its life but the piano patch is good!

I did put it in a slightly too small room though. I’m not used to grand pianos and didn’t anticipate what the loud sound would do in a small room with a wooden floor, a wooden ceiling plus several large windows. It is a bit of a resonator, to put it mildly. Cool sound, but not classic which is what I want right now. I guess I’ll move it to the main room.

Anywho, picture:
D3FE8CA3-32BB-4BAD-8B7D-2531C63783D3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

Jim the Oldbie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Fri May 08, 2020 11:32 pm

Yes! Let it breathe, you won't be sorry.

Has it been rebuilt? It looks gorgeous.

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Sat May 09, 2020 2:03 am

AA039159-74AF-4331-8454-BF3BAD761599.jpeg
:love: :hyper:

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 am

Found the Ashly for 250.-, the M3000 for 450.- and the Summits were a bit cheaper than retail price.

The Ashly would benefit from a modification. Any suggestions?

BTW: Why do my pictures alway turn around? > somehow it worked after serval uploads...
IMG_20200509_110508.jpg
Last edited by slumberjack on Sat May 09, 2020 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat May 09, 2020 4:22 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 am
IMG_20200509_110508.jpg

Found the Ashly for 250.-, the M3000 for 450.- and the Summits were a bit cheaper than retail price.

Yep. You could do the turn it up the right way mod. :hihi:

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 09, 2020 4:28 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:22 am
slumberjack wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:10 am
IMG_20200509_110508.jpg

Yep. You could do the turn it up the right way mod. :hihi:
:yay: Lundal transformatation so to speak...I don't know they turn around by themself.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Post by freakynorth » Sat May 09, 2020 11:09 am

freakynorth wrote:
Dream come true.
MindMachine wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 pm

I just scored one a few weeks ago. Still patiently dialing in pastoral to insane. Congrats. It was a tough decision to take the dive.

It was tough for me too. It was for sale near me and the price was right so I just went for it.
Before I had received it I was second guessing a little I have to admit..
Once I hooked it up to the synths and Rhodes I knew I made a good decision within 10 minutes of messing around.
That multiply knob is pure magic!

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Sat May 09, 2020 1:12 pm

freakynorth wrote:
Dream come true.
Congratulations! I had one for 25 years that I just got rid of a couple years ago, I sold it in one day for 900 bucks.

Now I have the sound toys plug-in version.
The thing that struck me about the prime time is it’s so transparent when you use it for phase, chorus, flange. Just had a beautiful sound to it I can’t even put it into words.

There was a used pro music shop by my house and I was in there one day and saw the guy pulling each chip out and cleaning the little teeth with a toothbrush and some electrical contact cleaner on the primetime. I asked him what are you doing? and he said yeah you Gotta do this every so often, every few years it really helps keep these things sounding good.

I asked him what it was he told me about it and then said “here take it home and mess around with it and bring it back tomorrow.” It blew my mind.
Then about a couple weeks later I saw an ad for a guy that wanted to do a trade of a PT 93 for a reverb unit so I traded him a brand new Quadraverb straight across and it worked perfectly for the whole time I had it which was about 25 years.

After owning it a few years I found out that Steve Stevens used to do the Ray Gun effect with it. I tried it and it worked.

Of course the long delays were great too and then you could turn that knob to double the delay time available but cut the frequency response in half and then in half again and once again it got really lo-fi!

One more story, I got to open up Eddie Van Halen‘s guitar rack where it was being stored at Flag systems in Anaheim California and he had one of those in his rack.

So once again congratulations and I’m curious what are you going to do with it, is there a certain application you’re going to use it for?

Now I’m gonna go check out my sound toys plug-in of it and see how Close it comes.

Nope... just checked on a soloed lead vocal. That’s the kind of thing where this unit would really shine with the short delay times i.e., chorus, flanging doubling.
The plug-in is definitely missing a high end Shimmer like you could “see into the sound” hang on to that thing!

Enjoy! :yay:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat May 09, 2020 3:00 pm

ASM Hydrasynth Desktop
TOO FAR GONE

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 pm

Schrank wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:03 am

yeet
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

mqmq
Common Wiggler

Post by mqmq » Sat May 09, 2020 10:34 pm

Lyra-8.. It's mental !! :

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Sun May 10, 2020 1:40 am

mome rath wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 pm
Schrank wrote:

yeet
Yep I‘m so exited!
I missed the last auction here and it went for ~750$, now I paid 1000 for this one :doh: But whatever, YOLO :roll:

One thing that I don‘t like are the encoders, the increased speed of the high-res ones on newer machines feels so much better.
Last edited by Schrank on Sun May 10, 2020 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Sun May 10, 2020 1:42 am

Schrank wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:40 am
mome rath wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 pm
Schrank wrote:

yeet
Yep I‘m so exited!
I missed the last auction here and it went for ~750$, now I paid 1000 for this one :doh: But whatever, YOLO :roll:

One thing that I don‘t like are the encoders, the increased speed of the high-res ones on newer machines feels so much better.

Uuumm sorry wrong button

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sun May 10, 2020 9:54 am

Now I'm off to picking up a some percussion modules to go with the Clockworks I picked up. My first one is a Rakit Metal that showed up on Reverb...

On a down note, my Sismo Samba still hasn't shown up. I've initiated a trace with the Portuguese CTT. I can see that it got to Lisbon and they report that it went to the US. When I inquired with our mail service they don't see it in the system. I'm hoping they can provide a customs or tracking number here in the US.

I really think the Samba plus some Clockworks controlled modules would make an excellent drum 'machine' for live play... I love the idea of being able to adjust the timing divisions to odd ones during play.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Post by freakynorth » Sun May 10, 2020 11:30 am

Toowoombaus wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:12 pm
freakynorth wrote:
Dream come true.
Congratulations! I had one for 25 years that I just got rid of a couple years ago, I sold it in one day for 900 bucks.

The thing that struck me about the prime time is it’s so transparent when you use it for phase, chorus, flange. Just had a beautiful sound to it I can’t even put it into words.

There was a used pro music shop by my house and I was in there one day and saw the guy pulling each chip out and cleaning the little teeth with a toothbrush and some electrical contact cleaner on the primetime. I asked him what are you doing? and he said yeah you Gotta do this every so often, every few years it really helps keep these things sounding good.

I asked him what it was he told me about it and then said “here take it home and mess around with it and bring it back tomorrow.” It blew my mind.
Then about a couple weeks later I saw an ad for a guy that wanted to do a trade of a PT 93 for a reverb unit so I traded him a brand new Quadraverb straight across and it worked perfectly for the whole time I had it which was about 25 years.

After owning it a few years I found out that Steve Stevens used to do the Ray Gun effect with it. I tried it and it worked.

Of course the long delays were great too and then you could turn that knob to double the delay time available but cut the frequency response in half and then in half again and once again it got really lo-fi!

One more story, I got to open up Eddie Van Halen‘s guitar rack where it was being stored at Flag systems in Anaheim California and he had one of those in his rack.

So once again congratulations and I’m curious what are you going to do with it, is there a certain application you’re going to use it for?

Now I’m gonna go check out my sound toys plug-in of it and see how Close it comes.

Nope... just checked on a soloed lead vocal. That’s the kind of thing where this unit would really shine with the short delay times i.e., chorus, flanging doubling.
The plug-in is definitely missing a high end Shimmer like you could “see into the sound” hang on to that thing!

Damn! $900??
They go for double or more than that nowadays.
Sometimes not even fully functional..!

That’s an intense story, why did you part with it?
EVH had one? That’s crazy! Haha. Never would’ve guessed.

I’m using it on anything and everything that sounds good! Lately I’ve been running it with an
Ekdahl Polygamist on VCA -1 and a different sequenced delay on VCA -2. I’ve been getting LOST in it for hours.

As much as I think the soundtoys stuff is cool, there’s just something about fuckin with the knobs yourself that’d I miss!

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Mon May 11, 2020 11:40 pm

kurzweil ksp8!!

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Tue May 12, 2020 6:07 pm

freakynorth wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:30 am
Toowoombaus wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:12 pm
freakynorth wrote:
Dream come true.

Damn! $900??
They go for double or more than that nowadays.
Sometimes not even fully functional..!

That’s an intense story, why did you part with it?
EVH had one? That’s crazy! Haha. Never would’ve guessed.

I’m using it on anything and everything that sounds good! Lately I’ve been running it with an
Ekdahl Polygamist on VCA -1 and a different sequenced delay on VCA -2. I’ve been getting LOST in it for hours.

As much as I think the soundtoys stuff is cool, there’s just something about fuckin with the knobs yourself that’d I miss!
Yeah I think I sold mine in 2014 right before the price skyrocketed, but since I traded a guy a Quadraverb I only have about $350 into it and I used it for 25 years.
So, yeah maybe I should’ve kept it but I had no idea the price was about to Shoot up so high... oh well I made the best choice I could at the time and I don’t really regret it. You might feel the same way in 25 years :hihi:

I got rid of it because I was going crazy On a boutique tube guitar amplifier odyssey that lasted about four years and I thought “I’ve used this thing and used it and used it and I don’t use it anymore, so I thought what the heck, it’s only a delay unit...” and I have a few other vintage delays that I was going to keep so I got rid of it and a bunch other old gear from my studio and bought vintage and boutique hand wired tube amplifiers for my guitars. So I learned a lot about what I like and don’t like about all the different flavors of guitar amplifiers and I still have most of those.

The plug in doesn’t really come close maybe the long delays Kinda do but not the flanging chorusing no way.

Your Ekdahl Polygamist seems like a pretty rare unit I watched some videos on it I can imagine it must be a lot of fun!

If you ever look up pictures of Eddie Van Halen in his studio you can see one mounted in the rack there’s a few floating around on the Internet.
Yeah he had a snapshot of him and Valerie on their wedding day a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels shoved in the side space it was an oversized rack and I remember I think two lexicon PCM 42s, I might be mistaken on that but for sure he had a Prime Time 93 those things are completely original looking with all those multicolored knobs and sliders and… Yeah that was about 1980 so like Women and Children First or Fair Warning period.
Have fun and see if you can re-create the Steve Stevens “Ray Gun“ effect.

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by abandonist » Tue May 12, 2020 8:48 pm

Hydrasynth Keys - Should be here by the end of the month according to Sweetwater.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed May 13, 2020 10:48 am

Buchla 100 series Model 158 Oscillator

Sloth 1u in Intellijjel format.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 pm

405CA270-7A87-4CF8-A501-14B3B2DE2E28.jpeg
A 2600 showed up at my local small town dealer. I made a rash decision. Pick it up tomorrow.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Wed May 13, 2020 4:06 pm

pmboos wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm
The NDLR is pretty cool. Conductive did a pretty cool job in packaging something special there for live performance...
Indeed! The modulation matrix is what sold me.

Return to “General Gear”