What new booty did you buy?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Howling Terror
Common Wiggler

Re: What new booty did you buy?

Post by Howling Terror » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Standard Metal
More Metal
Most Metal

Jim the Oldbie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Ahh! But of course.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Finally got around to poking at my Digitech TSR-24S in an attempt to see if I could fix it easily, and couldn't. Poked around for a bit on eBay looking at options for hardware reverb and ended up ordering a Boss RRV-10 instead. There's only one demo of it worth a damn on YouTube, but I'm digging the gritty early-digital character :) Looking forward to playing with it!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:56 am

...a Macumbista Benjolin...Now does anyone have a Blippoo Box for sale?
Best,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 pm
Poked around for a bit on eBay looking at options for hardware reverb and ended up ordering a Boss RRV-10 instead. There's only one demo of it worth a damn on YouTube, but I'm digging the gritty early-digital character :) Looking forward to playing with it!
Got here this afternoon. Being a budget unit from the dawn of digital reverb, it's definitely limited, but the "Plate 2" setting is downright ethereal :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 pm

pmboos wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:41 pm
Picked up two items today (weak willpower I suppose). I wanted some utilities for my semi-modulars and the ST Workbench looked awesome, so bought a built one from Pusherman UK. I also noticed a Volca Drum on sale at Perfect Circuit. I've had my eye on it but resisted paying full price. These have not been turning up used like I had hoped, so people must really be happy with them.
The Volca Drum is super cool (still waiting for my ST Workbench to arrive from the UK...) I like the wave guide. I literally downloaded the instructions today (that was the only thing the demo unit I bought did not have) and I can see lots of potential for it. I've been super into analog as of late, but am actually really glad this is digital; I think it will feel more creative as a result for such a small package.

If you need an inexpensive drum machine, this is a great choice.

I'm really looking forward to my ST Workbench. Unborn Gore posted a note in the thread I started on utilities for semimodulars describing how he has been using it with his 0-CTRL, sounds really awesome.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:53 pm

I picked up this sweetheart today:
tandberg 64.jpg

The mode selector lets you run A+B as well as sound on sound...so it's a great little echo machine all on its own! Beautiful solid wood case, and the coolest tube recording level indicators ever.

Doesn't like to play at lowest speed, but I imagine it needs a new belt.

Best of all, it fits on my desk, unlike my other R2R!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------

Flounderguts

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 am

volca-cat.JPG
The thing on the right I've had for several years, it's a speaker and I like it because it has good bass.

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:53 pm
I picked up this sweetheart today:

tandberg 64.jpg

The mode selector lets you run A+B as well as sound on sound...so it's a great little echo machine all on its own! Beautiful solid wood case, and the coolest tube recording level indicators ever.

Doesn't like to play at lowest speed, but I imagine it needs a new belt.

Best of all, it fits on my desk, unlike my other R2R!
THAT IS GORGEOUS! Congrats.

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am

I just received an Argon Modal 8M. Finally had time time open the box and set it up last night. Lots of fun ahead - sounds fabulous.

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am

In the mail:
Montarbo Six KB Amp,
a few Eurorack modules I'm pretty excited about,
a Ditto Looper.

In place recently:
New 12U/114HP rack (mostly DIY)
Space Case tape echo
Oscilloscope (for those dancing rubber bands)
JBL Subwoofer for my home monitoring needs (From a rummage sale. It's designed for car stereos, but LF is LF, I suppose, and I had a Hypex Subwoofer Amp with pretty good crossover circuitry stashed away that drives it just fine, so score!)

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 am

Tried it out briefly last night, initial impressions are pretty great. It's already earned a spot in the current patch. Haven't tried anything super involved yet, but it sounds clear, strong and precise. Looking forward to exploring more this weekend.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 am

GRP Synthesizer V22 Vocoder

I preordered it based on a picture I found in a video from Superbooth 2018! Then I saw/heard it in person at Superbooth 2019 and finally, totay number 002 arrived!.

Let's vocode 8-)
red

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:09 am

strettara wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 am
pmboos wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:45 pm
Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:58 pm
strettara wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:16 pm
One of my everyday pleasures is improvising simple romantic harmonic progressions with a basic strings patch on the C15. Just a big warm soufflé of delicious sound.
Excuse me a moment, but "aww yiss".
Are we meaning this one? https://www.nonlinear-labs.de/product/c15.html
That is an expensive instrument....
Not really, cheap actually when compared to top quality instruments from almost any other area of music. Synths are only expensive if you think of them as consumer appliances. If you think of them as musical instruments they are unbelievable value for money.

Plus there's the specious "need" to have more than one... I don't know how many cellists have two top quality cellos, for instance, or pianists two concert grands (which is what the C15 and other top of the range synths are really equivalent to - quality instruments you should be buying to play for the rest of your life, rather than temporary purchases until the next best thing is announced)......
I gotta agree here. After looking into the C15 (due entirely to this thread) I find it to be nearly a call back to the days when Hammonds were sold with service contracts where the service tech actually made house calls. It's that ~whole service~ approach that I find deeply attractive. It tells me that the manufacturers are very confident in their instrument (I'm purposely avoiding the use of the word ~product~ to describe the C15 since it's makers seem to take their efforts far more seriously than mere "product makers") ... in fact so confident that they've come up with various rent to own plans and the like, including buyback programs .... they're clearly not afraid to be involved with their clients for life. That takes guts, and utter confidence in one's ability to deliver all while telegraphing the message "we're fully backing you". It makes the C15 feel like an heirloom piece ... something you'd be willing to hand down to children/grandchildren (etc..).

And ~roughly~ $5K USD? Pfft! .... that's nothing for that instrument. For context, I put this together and it ended up costing about $2,500 US dollar bucks all said and done. And it doesn't have a synth attached to it!
Keyboard Controller - 8.jpg
That's a DotCom 61 key MIDI keyboard. The keybed itself is a top of the line FATAR TP/9, I added the two ribbons and the joystick. Solid walnut woodwork all around (DotCom option). Yea, all together it was about $2,500 .... and it doesn't make a sound. Still need a synth to play with it. So the C15 coming in at $5k USD or thereabouts (depending on what the Dollar:Euro exchange rate is the day you actually pay for it) is really quite fairly priced. It's no more than a premium bass guitar or guitar or half-assed set of traps (drums). It's 1/3rd that of a new Hammond "B3" type organ with Leslie.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:40 am

red wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 am
GRP Synthesizer V22 Vocoder

I preordered it based on a picture I found in a video from Superbooth 2018! Then I saw/heard it in person at Superbooth 2019 and finally, totay number 002 arrived!.

Let's vocode 8-)
Holy Crap Batman!
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:10 am

Got a cheap JX8P + ipad with iP800. The good thing is that there is the free Ctrlr app now that allow me to automate the JX8P from my DAW, add LFOs to it, etc.
The JX8P is very underrated, of course this has to do with the lack of knobs. But good thing its underrated cause its sub 400€ price makes it a steal with the sound it has.
Might do the Kiwi upgrade at some point.
jx8p.jpg
ctrlr.png

chris.d
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chris.d » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:26 pm

IMG_7690.jpg

+

Rhythm_Ace_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:23 pm

Ordered a Void Modular Hexagram mixer....
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

I might have done something very stupid.... Brought a Fairlight CMI.
One day I'll get an avatar!

Jim the Oldbie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 am

We all have those moments, heh.

A couple of nights ago I found something in the attic that I'd forgotten I still had - a Kawai SX-210! (8-voice poly, DCO/DEG, SSM2044 filters). Only trouble is, the CPU/DCO board is missing. Pretty sure that's how it ended up in the attic...

Hmm. I wonder if I could stuff a few Teensys in there. Something like an 8-voice Orgone Accumulator with analog filters might be fun.

So is your Fairlight functional or FUBAR'd? I've only briefly seen the inside of one of those things. Is there much in the way of custom chips, or just the regular obsolete types?

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:32 am

This (arriving Friday):

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:43 am

Jim the Oldbie wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 am
We all have those moments, heh.

A couple of nights ago I found something in the attic that I'd forgotten I still had - a Kawai SX-210! (8-voice poly, DCO/DEG, SSM2044 filters). Only trouble is, the CPU/DCO board is missing. Pretty sure that's how it ended up in the attic...

Hmm. I wonder if I could stuff a few Teensys in there. Something like an 8-voice Orgone Accumulator with analog filters might be fun.

So is your Fairlight functional or FUBAR'd? I've only briefly seen the inside of one of those things. Is there much in the way of custom chips, or just the regular obsolete types?
Do I sense some 2044 filter modules in the making?

The Fairlight is fubar. I only ever seem to buy broken things.... No custom silicon as far as I can tell, but a hell of a lot of vintage ttl. I suspect it'll take a while to fix.

Jim the Oldbie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 am

I dunno. I know those 2044s are rare, but I'm hesitant to part this thing out. I'm just getting back into coding after a lo-ong absence, and things have changed a LOT. Probably best to take it in stages. Maybe start with a single MCU, and an external input just paralleled into all 8 VCFs for some fun vowelly vocorder-ish stuff. Then if/when I get my legs back, maybe work up some capable oscillators onboard. Not that I need another project, but I can't say I wasn't delighted to discover this old thing - thought it was long gone.

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 am

The 8 channel filter/vocodersque box sounds like a super cool idea!

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:08 pm

gslug wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am
I might have done something very stupid.... Brought a Fairlight CMI.
:hail: :omg: :tu: :yay: :miley:

Sounds like you're about to have an adventure. Time to set fire to a Cohiba.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

Return to “General Gear”