SE Boomstar

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the info! I dl the manual last night, but fell asleep with my iPad on my chest...again.

I have a sub phatty on the way, would you say they cover too much of the same ground?

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:25 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:Thanks for the info! I dl the manual last night, but fell asleep with my iPad on my chest...again.

I have a sub phatty on the way, would you say they cover too much of the same ground?
i would cancel the sub-phatty and just get the boomstar.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 pm

dubnspace wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:Thanks for the info! I dl the manual last night, but fell asleep with my iPad on my chest...again.

i would cancel the sub-phatty and just get the boomstar.
Why ?

Obv the SE has more features, and I want the Boomstar whatever, I don't even have a specific intention for it, I just love the sound it dishes out.

I was going to keep the order for the Moog, mainly bc I know it will provide the sub I need, and things like OSC phaze sync make recording Bass samples into Kontakt nice and quick.

Do you think the Boomstar is solid as the Moog sub wise ? We are talking Jungle and Drum & BAss, I'm of an age where those two genres are still the same genre :P

But just bc I can buy both doesn't mean I want to if one is just gonna sit there.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm

I've played both and have the 4075. They are very different sounding. Granted I haven't played with the Sub Phatty enough to get a good overall impression on it comparison-wise. So I can't really help there. However I do think they are different enough to warrant owning both. Why not a Minitaur and Boomstar? You would get that extra deep bass in addition to the Boomstar's sub osc and sync.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:14 pm

stikygum wrote:I've played both and have the 4075. They are very different sounding. Granted I haven't played with the Sub Phatty enough to get a good overall impression on it comparison-wise. So I can't really help there. However I do think they are different enough to warrant owning both. Why not a Minitaur and Boomstar? You would get that extra deep bass in addition to the Boomstar's sub osc and sync.
Totally forgot about that! They should be easy to pickup on the second hand market too.

TY.

jumbomonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by jumbomonkey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 am

Boomstar demos were a bit disappointing sounding to me.

Is it just me or can the analog retro revival sound a bit too retro in the end?!

I sent a Minibrute back for that exact reason.

Maybe its the difference between simple waveform and complex waveform VCOs, the complex ones just seem to sound more up to date... and if so, its not really comparing like with like so to speak

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:34 pm

jumbomonkey wrote: Is it just me or can the analog retro revival sound a bit too retro in the end?!
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. You don't like vintage analog?

jumbomonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by jumbomonkey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:57 pm

stikygum wrote:I'm not really sure what you mean by this. You don't like vintage analog?
I've been looking for something fresh sounding which is analog, but it seems the majority of instruments are all harping back to sounds of the past.

It just seems a bit strange that, for example drum machines made these days are still rated according to how successfully they replicate the 808 and 909, even within modular.

I guess it reflects something in music in general, you the 80% majority making and listening to whats gone before, and you get 20% 'early adopters' or innovators trying to do something new.

Sorry, maybe this is fairly off topic!

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 pm

I think I get what you mean? But analogue is limited by expense isn't. If I was looking for progressive then I'd look at digital.

When somebody even gets close to the sound and usefulness of an 808 then Ppl will be interested.

Those tr series wether by accident or deign set the bar so high, in terms of usefulness , I guess it's just been to hard to match.

jumbomonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by jumbomonkey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Yup, thats a very good point. They've kind of let a legend behind them, because now people are choosing them, even when there are other options - like with computers. The stock samples Ableton and others give out are still 808 and 909 focused. Heard they were originally choosen a lot for workflow and programming, making tracks, and how intuitive they are to use.

Re: progressive. Thats the interesting thing, I think progressive now is moving back to hardware, but I think I settled on the DPO because it does something quite unusual, the sound of analog and the complexity of digital / fm synthesis ... its almost moog vs dx7 in concept isn't it?

I'm looking forward to getting going with it. Its by no means on its own in that catagory but I think its maybe where analog needs to go imho

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Sounds like you want a Future Retro XS. Fresh sounding modern analog.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

jumbomonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by jumbomonkey » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:25 am

Good suggestion, think I've heard some demos of that, but will check it out. The 777 had some qualities that weren't for me for some reason through.

Like the MFB, Vermona and Mbase stuff, they're pretty soild! Vintage sounds, but with something new in their too.

warmtape
Common Wiggler

Post by warmtape » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:16 am

hey guys, first post here. i'm new to this type of thing in general, but i'm very interested in playing a guitar/bass through synths such as the boomstar series. Would anyone be able to tell me some of the setbacks/necessary things one would need to make that feasible? I'm obviously worried about things like tracking and such, but I'm getting more and more fascinated with shaping guitars with synthesizers and would like to dive into it firsthand.
Appreciate any feedback for this beginner's question.

SepticUnderground
Zombi Wiggler

Post by SepticUnderground » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:32 am

so......
this topic needs a fucking kick...

Ive preordered the Boomstar SE-80 and the Boomstar 700.
Anyone here else choosing on of these boxes?

I think they sound really raw and nasty (in a good way).

Anyone elese with thoughts on those machines or user experiences with the other ones?
http://soundcloud.com/septicstudio
FREE ALBUMS! http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Septic_Underground

Stopped with becoming the biggest 5U slut in the world

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Yep any more good demos. I got the Sub Phatty in the end which is great, but it does sound a little too controlled, yeah I know 'can't please ppl all of the time'

The SE boxes just have that raw sound and give me the same excitement I get from listening to vintage Moogs with their buzzy not so stable Osc.

My Sub Phatty next to my friends Moog Rouge just sounds so static.

unmode
Common Wiggler

Post by unmode » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:56 pm

ive been pinging the filter on my 4075 using silent way.

BOING!

René(e) Séance
Common Wiggler

Post by René(e) Séance » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:02 pm

unmode wrote:ive been pinging the filter on my 4075 using silent way.
Can I hear?

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 pm

warmtape wrote:hey guys, first post here. i'm new to this type of thing in general, but i'm very interested in playing a guitar/bass through synths such as the boomstar series. Would anyone be able to tell me some of the setbacks/necessary things one would need to make that feasible? I'm obviously worried about things like tracking and such, but I'm getting more and more fascinated with shaping guitars with synthesizers and would like to dive into it firsthand.
Appreciate any feedback for this beginner's question.
You'll want something like a Roland GR-55 or Axon AX-100. These are hardware boxes, and they come with hexaphonic pickups which you can attach without modifying your guitar (alternatively you could get a MIDI-enabled guitar with built-in pickups, or replace an existing pickup with a hexaphonic one). You'll want to get your guitar professionally setup as well so the action and intonation are good.

Either of the above boxes you can plug into a synth, but note that they can be used monophonically or polyphonically, and this will need to inform your playing. Both should work reasonably well but you may need to modify your playing still a little.

There is also this new app for OS X/Windows/iOS called Jam Origin MIDI Guitar which I bought and I can vouch that it works surprisingly well. It would be a good way to dip your toes in and see how you like it. The demo is time-limited but let you use all the features IIRC and you can output MIDI to hardware from it (but of course you need a computer). It can be used monophonically or polyphonically as well.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

unmode
Common Wiggler

Post by unmode » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 am

René(e) Séance wrote:
unmode wrote:ive been pinging the filter on my 4075 using silent way.
Can I hear?
ill try and remember to post a clip tonight

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Bump!

Here's lots of praise for the SE80. Lovely instrument. Sounds incredibly massive. Maybe not exactly like the CS-80, but pretty damn close. The original has other distinctive sonic characteristics, but these are only subtle differences. Excellent filters. Wild and aggressive ( more so than the Yamaha!). Smaller than an Oberheim SEM, and very sturdy. Now I don't miss my beloved CS-80 behemoth as much! Wonder if I bought 3 more and tried four-voice polyphony.....nah.

Great stuff, tho...Highly recommended! :yay:

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:08 pm

dopefiend wrote:Bump!

Here's lots of praise for the SE80. Lovely instrument. Sounds incredibly massive. Maybe not exactly like the CS-80, but pretty damn close. The original has other distinctive sonic characteristics, but these are only subtle differences. Excellent filters. Wild and aggressive ( more so than the Yamaha!). Smaller than an Oberheim SEM, and very sturdy. Now I don't miss my beloved CS-80 behemoth as much! Wonder if I bought 3 more and tried four-voice polyphony.....nah.

Great stuff, tho...Highly recommended! :yay:
It's only a loose emulation of a single CS-80 filter. So, it's definitely not supposed to sound like the complete synth - everything else is the same in each Boomstar, AFAIK.

I find it gets much more vocal than the CS-80 filter (yes, played a few of 'em) but lacks that amazing goooooey sound and the weird sci-fi blippyness that it has.

Either way, the Boomstars are all amazing. If only they were a tad cheaper I would have one or two. I have had them in my studio multiple times and did some demo videos. I always pine for my own when using one, but never can justify it once it comes time to purchase.

Anyways, IMO, the Boomstars are one of the few pieces of modern analog to get close to a true vintage sound - you know, that sound that fills up the entire frequency spectrum and stereo field... something that modern analogs just don't do (even the most raw of modular systems).
Support My Gear Addiction:
For Sale/Trade

zahush76
Common Wiggler

Post by zahush76 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm considering the SE80 model, but i wonder. I also have the Omega-8 with cs-80 filters, and obviously these are different beasts altogether. But on the Omega you can modulate the highpass independently using one of the lfo's or the 3rd envelope. So what's the deal on the SE80? You can't modulate the highpass filter? Only manually?

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Someone care to post some of their own SE80 or 700 clips? Have both the SEM and 4075 and would love to hear what these other 2 bring.

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:17 am

stikygum wrote:Someone care to post some of their own SE80 or 700 clips? Have both the SEM and 4075 and would love to hear what these other 2 bring.
Here's the demo I did for PCA:
[video][/video]

Absolutely mental filter. According to viewers, I may have gone too far in just showing off the sound and not getting musical enough, but whatever. The point of my demos is actually the sound and that's what I get paid to do anyways.
Support My Gear Addiction:
For Sale/Trade

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:39 am

Is the 700 version even out in the wild yet? Would love to hear some demos if so.

Return to “General Gear”