SE Boomstar

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:28 am

LeFreq wrote:Anyways, IMO, the Boomstars are one of the few pieces of modern analog to get close to a true vintage sound - you know, that sound that fills up the entire frequency spectrum and stereo field... something that modern analogs just don't do (even the most raw of modular systems).
How does it fill the stereo image? It's a mono. You can do some Jedi tricks to spin a good stereo image from a mono signal but I wouldn't say the boomstar has a natural aptitude at filling a stereo field due to the mono output.
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.
Polyphony is overrated.
------------------------------------------
Tribal/Electronic/Industrial
www.ivardensphere.com

StoneLaw
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by StoneLaw » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:25 am

I've heard mono sources having different apparent widths.. Like if I make a basic jam with drums bass and a synth line in my modular and sum to a single out it sounds full and normal, but if I made the same jam in reason it would sound very flat and strange, like skinny and needing panning. Might have something do with with saturation, as my afg into a .mix sounds apparently wider than say, the Atlantis.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:43 am

LeFreq wrote:
stikygum wrote:Someone care to post some of their own SE80 or 700 clips? Have both the SEM and 4075 and would love to hear what these other 2 bring.
Here's the demo I did for PCA:
[video][/video]

Absolutely mental filter. According to viewers, I may have gone too far in just showing off the sound and not getting musical enough, but whatever. The point of my demos is actually the sound and that's what I get paid to do anyways.
Thought it was a great demo. That filter definitely has balls

cranleigh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cranleigh » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:41 am

great demo -that thing is a raw techno machine and no mistake.
and the filter has that cs80 'ay ay ay' thing down very well...

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:02 pm

iVardensphere wrote:
LeFreq wrote:Anyways, IMO, the Boomstars are one of the few pieces of modern analog to get close to a true vintage sound - you know, that sound that fills up the entire frequency spectrum and stereo field... something that modern analogs just don't do (even the most raw of modular systems).
How does it fill the stereo image? It's a mono. You can do some Jedi tricks to spin a good stereo image from a mono signal but I wouldn't say the boomstar has a natural aptitude at filling a stereo field due to the mono output.
also, your ears are attuned to slightly different frequencies, some synths just tickle both ears better than others

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:05 pm

moremagic wrote:
iVardensphere wrote:
also, your ears are attuned to slightly different frequencies, some synths just tickle both ears better than others
I agree 100% That can't really be attributed to the synth, however. That makes it quite subjective based on the person.

But yes, very true.
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.
Polyphony is overrated.
------------------------------------------
Tribal/Electronic/Industrial
www.ivardensphere.com

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:28 am

LeFreq wrote:I may have gone too far in just showing off the sound and not getting musical enough.
The Youtube comments regarding this are just stupid. I find demos like this more helpful than a demo with a few nice sounds and melodies that don't tell me anything about the range, etc. and might just cover some sweet spots.
Those are people without any imagination.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:27 pm

StoneLaw wrote:I've heard mono sources having different apparent widths.. Like if I make a basic jam with drums bass and a synth line in my modular and sum to a single out it sounds full and normal, but if I made the same jam in reason it would sound very flat and strange, like skinny and needing panning. Might have something do with with saturation, as my afg into a .mix sounds apparently wider than say, the Atlantis.

^ What he said. It's not necessarily the stereo image you're thinking of... Basically, it fills up the speakers, whereas the Bass Station 2 or other modern synths are very centered and small sounding.

It is most definitely attributed directly to the synth. I do a lot of A/B comparing of my many synths and they all have a different "perceived width".
Last edited by LeFreq on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support My Gear Addiction:
For Sale/Trade

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:30 pm

sonicwarrior wrote:
LeFreq wrote:I may have gone too far in just showing off the sound and not getting musical enough.
The Youtube comments regarding this are just stupid. I find demos like this more helpful than a demo with a few nice sounds and melodies that don't tell me anything about the range, etc. and might just cover some sweet spots.
Those are people without any imagination.

Thanks to you and other compliments in this thread! :tu:

That is exactly what I shoot for in the videos... showing the sound and the features as plainly as possible.
Support My Gear Addiction:
For Sale/Trade

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:41 pm

So today I got a second SE80, and immediately connected both in series, with the "overflow" option and......voilá! Duophonic analog bliss. Comes pretty damn close to sounding like my old, now-departed CS80, except for the absence of a second HL/LP that you get from having both voice rows in the mix. I used to have a vocal choir patch on it that was eerily realistic. Great stuff. In a pinch, this setup gives me satiety from the desire for an Oberheim 2-voice, sans sequencer and presets, but with better filters. No need to wait now! :yay:

StoneLaw
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by StoneLaw » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 pm

I swear the mono width is real. It has to be a circuit thing. If I record a bunch of euro tracks and pan them center, it fills the speakers and certain things appear wider or narrower. It's not like if I record a band with one mic and mic pre and pan them all in the center, where you'd I hear that up-the-middle dead in the center mono sound. Like reason panned all center etc.

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I did two quick and dirty demos of the Boomstar 5089. All sounds in both examples (including the "drums" in Nova 5089) are generated by the Boomstar. After that I've applied effects liberally in Reason, and also used a simple "mastering" suite setup.

You can probably tell what my influences are. ;)

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/exodesound/nova-5089

https://soundcloud.com/exodesound/monumental-5089

Taco Belly

Post by Taco Belly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 pm

:yay: :yay: :yay:

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I just got a Boomstar SEM. Sounds fantastic!

codemode
Common Wiggler

Post by codemode » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:37 am

makers wrote:I just got a Boomstar SEM. Sounds fantastic!
very nice! I bought mine after I tried them at NAMM. I wasn't very impressed after some of the early Youtube demo's, but very surprised once I tried them myself. If you don't mind my asking around what serial number do you have? I'm wondering what number they're up to. Mine is in the low 200's. I was surprised I thought between all the versions it would be much higher.

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:17 am

Mine was used from another Wiggler. Mine is low 200's as well.

codemode
Common Wiggler

Post by codemode » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 am

makers wrote:Mine was used from another Wiggler. Mine is low 200's as well.
mines from the beginning of the year so maybe made late last year or so... I just figured there would be few thousand of them out there but apparently not :despair:

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm currently debating on whether I should get a Boomstar SEM or a SE80 to complement my 5089.

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:52 pm

I just got my Boomstar SEM a couple weeks ago and it has a serial number #374 (100374).

I like to play mine in one of these, it really enhances the mono stereo image, y'know?

My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 pm

What's the verdict of the SEM version? Also is there anyone in here that owns the SE80 version and can share their experiences?

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:35 pm

First off, the Boomstars IMO are excellent first synths, since the architecture is easy to understand and they have a wide palette of sounds. (Well, maybe they're a bit pricey for a first synth, but I got mine with a nice discount through Perfect Circuit Audio).

I had listened to the Inhalt 5089 demo and Eschelyn's SEM demo which both floored me, and I was on the fence about either the 5089 or the SEM for awhile.

General Boomstar thoughts: Most demos use a sequencer, but they are actually great for loose lead sounds too. They respond to MIDI predictably, including pitch wheel and mod wheel vibrato (although you can program the mod wheel). Most demos emphasize the feedback and distortion but they are quite adept at creamy, smooth sounds too.

SEM thoughts: I have not actually used a real Oberheim SEM so I can't comment on that, but I know that I like the OB polyphonic sounds, and the Prophet '08 can get close to some of that territory. The filter is 12db unlike the 24db Moog filters. People are passionate about their filters, but generally speaking, the 12db filter allows more higher harmonics to shine through. A heavily filtered saw might sound more like a sine/triangle with a 12db filter versus a sine with a 24db filter. The SEM filter is good for smooth yet bright sounds and I have found that the Boomstar SEM is good for that. Brass and lead sounds, as well as rich, gritty basses.

I will try and record a demo soon. A Boomstar SEM with an El Capistan is a world of sounds. I have gotten Oneohtrix-ish fifth square leads, dusty D'n'B basses, horn sounding leads, more conventional detuned saw leads, as well as all sorts of blips, bass drum, and other percussion sounds out of it. What I really want to do next is sample some filter-rich pad sounds and run them through Ableton Sampler to make some "fake" polyphony.

Oh one last thing, the fact that you can sweep between low- and high-pass is really interesting. I wish that you could sweep it with the LFO or CV though. Still, I imagine it being useful for drum'n'bass bass sounds, like when they high-pass the bass in the intros of tracks or whatever.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 am

Yeah If there is anybody with the cs80 module, I'd love to hear more.

I have been multi sampling my Micromac in lives sampler, be its so quick and easy to export to, once you have waited 20 mins for every note at 20bpm lol

Annoying you can only export by 1 bar max :/

But with the filter open quickly without much env, it sounds so 80s Jupiter 8 at times.
That sort of glassy lead sound if you know what I mean.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:01 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:Yeah If there is anybody with the cs80 module, I'd love to hear more.
+1 Having all the other flavors covered makes this one the most interesting and I almost bought one last day but I would love to hear more before I pull triggers. Also I have seen some malfunctioning units of the other Boomstar kinds, is there anything known as far as reliability goes with those?

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:31 am

tron23 wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:Yeah If there is anybody with the cs80 module, I'd love to hear more.
+1 Having all the other flavors covered makes this one the most interesting and I almost bought one last day but I would love to hear more before I pull triggers. Also I have seen some malfunctioning units of the other Boomstar kinds, is there anything known as far as reliability goes with those?
I have not heard about, or had any reliability issues with my Boomstar 5089 what so ever. Maybe there was something connected to the early OS? There's a free replacement firmware for anyone with an older OS though.

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Ok, so some of you wanted some better demos of the Boomstar SE80. Here's a more "melodic" demo that I threw together. It features multiple takes of the Boomstar SE80 and drums courtesy of Reason. FX were splashed liberally (reverb, delay, and mastering).

https://soundcloud.com/exodesound/rising-wind-se80

Return to “General Gear”