Just bought a Prophet 2000

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

psoul
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Just bought a Prophet 2000

Post by psoul » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:16 pm

so from 3379 datasheet (is pretty normal) just would be nice to have a calibration, but is a very nice sampler

Analog Prophet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analog Prophet » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 am

I bought the P2000 new. The firmware I got was just upgraded from 256kb sample memory to 512kb. I think P2002 has 1Mb. It came with three factory diskettes (piano, acoustic guitar and something else). Used the P2000 as main keyboard for some years, finally sold it. I loved it and sampled a lot. Issues with it:

- The rotary knob became more and more unstable/irregular. The values jumped.
- The panel matrix overlay became more and more cracked at some “buttons”.
- The switch to the MIDI OUT/THROU 2 lost (an easy fix today, but I was scared to open it up in my early years).
- The diskette drive broke, replaced it with a regular PC diskette drive. Just to move some jumpers.

I don’t regret I sold it but I would love to have a P2002, especially as I still have some of my backup diskettes around.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

psoul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psoul » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 am

Analog Prophet wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 am
I bought the P2000 new. The firmware I got was just upgraded from 256kb sample memory to 512kb. I think P2002 has 1Mb. It came with three factory diskettes (piano, acoustic guitar and something else). Used the P2000 as main keyboard for some years, finally sold it. I loved it and sampled a lot. Issues with it:

- The rotary knob became more and more unstable/irregular. The values jumped.
- The panel matrix overlay became more and more cracked at some “buttons”.
- The switch to the MIDI OUT/THROU 2 lost (an easy fix today, but I was scared to open it up in my early years).
- The diskette drive broke, replaced it with a regular PC diskette drive. Just to move some jumpers.

I don’t regret I sold it but I would love to have a P2002, especially as I still have some of my backup diskettes around.
i've found this funny :guinness: Image

Analog Prophet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Analog Prophet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 am

psoul wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 am
i've found this funny :guinness: Image

Yes the balance was “funny”, I would say annoying. I never had any audio related problems but the strange L/R outputs (every other voice was hard panned to an output) annoyed me at the beginning until I found a setting where all voices were centered or hard panned, can’t recall how, maybe a MIDI setting.

I loved the P2000 and it had a warm VCF. But I lacked portamento, the mod depth was not that great and the key range up was only 5 notes up at the highest sample rate (32k ?) and an octave at the lower sample rate (22 k ?) if I recall right. With the limited RAM and only 8 voices it would be helpful with a greater key range to the samples (lower key range was greater, two octaves down ?). And yes, I remember it was HEAVY to carry around in a flight case a couple of days per week. But still a very nice machine.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

LoWESTiC
1-Post Wiggler

Post by LoWESTiC » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:21 am

markjamesriver wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 am
Picked up one for $200. Seemed like a good deal to me just for the analog side of it. Received it last Friday. At first I just messed with the 12 (yes, a huge 12) presets it loads off ROM. I was not impressed and was rethinking why the hell I bought this 45 pound, 61 key monstrosity.

Well, I have figured out how to sample properly and use the multi-timbrality (sp?) to my advantage. I think its 8 part multi-timbal, as well as 8 note polyphonic. This thing is the shit! It is a pain saving to 3.5 floppy if you get something really good, but I like the nostalgia of it. Once I got used to it, sampling is a breeze. The 12 bit sampling at 31KHz through the Analog Filters and VCA is very pleasing to me. Sort of like creamy VHS.

Sampling analog waveforms from my modular and playing them polyphonically is a blast and sounds huge as hell. I will never use Ableton's Sampler again.

Anyone else have one of these? Would like to hear your thoughts/stories.
I don't have it, however I am looking forward to get one. Would love your suggestion.

Return to “General Gear”