Desktop Prophet 12 coming

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Desktop Prophet 12 coming

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Just bought a Prophet 12 module, and digging through the old comments-can't believe how negative folks are on this. Seems like people who actually owned one really like it? I used to own an SQ-80/ESQ-1 and didn't mind the interface that much--this seems way more hands-on. Most of the stuff you would perform with is immediately available, and then you press a button and get four more parameters to twiddle. I'm not sure how that counts as "menu diving". Anyway, it seems like this is a really great synth for film-scoring/designing sounds and is remarkably portable. I'm not sure what's so bad about it? I guess it helps that the price is so low now. I got mine for $1,000 even.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:28 pm

I thought the UI looked pretty good as well. I also really like the ESQ-1 UI, and love the Elektron UI/work flow so I guess preferences really do vary a lot. I'm at the point where I will take 6-8 knobs/encoders and a clean page system over knob per function any day.

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:13 pm

Seems like this one would be a good buy these days. Unfortunately the only demos I can seem to find are cheesy harpsichord patches and your usual slew of synth wave sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Seems like this one would be a good buy these days. Unfortunately the only demos I can seem to find are cheesy harpsichord patches and your usual slew of synth wave sounds.
I really like Bob Swan’s YouTube preset demos.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Dragonaut wrote:
Yeah, I felt the same way, but then again a lot of the prophet 6 demos were not great either. Something clicked for me when I was flipping through the channels at my folks house when my wife and I went to visit for christmas. I saw this documentary about the making of Death Stranding and I saw a little prophet 12 module in the sound designer's studio along with a deckard's dream. It made me curious, so I started looking it up and thinking about sound design. Anyway, I already have/love the character module, and I've been wanted something with the flexibility of eurorack but really portable/polyphonic/with patch recall. The 12 starting making sense in the context, but you're right, there any many demos that really shot its capabilities.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:29 pm

Yeah, on paper it looks capable of some really creative sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:06 pm

I still have my P’12 KB. I wish it had the architecture of the Pro-2 (dual filter path and modulation sequencer) but it is a fine synth nonetheless.

I thought about replacing it with a module but the module just doesn’t appear to have the same workflow.
----------------------------------------

hogberto
Common Wiggler

Post by hogberto » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:04 am

I really like the module. I have it tucked away out of reach & just operate it from the DAW, using the Soundtower editor. It works well.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:42 am

Would anyone be interested in a preset pack for this? I'm finding I can emulate a lot of older synths I love like the ESQ-1 with this and have also come up with interesting Alan Howarth-style "sound design" patches for it. I was thinking of making 100 or so presets and selling it fairly cheap-with a youtube demo. I've bought one before for the Matrix 6, because it's interface makes programming a bit hard and got to thinking that I might do that for a synth a really get along with, but doesn't have the most hands-on interface, ie. the prophet 12 module.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

BoBSwanS
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BoBSwanS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:45 am

donato wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm
Dragonaut wrote:
I really like Bob Swan’s YouTube preset demos.
]

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Return to “General Gear”