Desktop Prophet 12 coming

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Interface is prime reason for p12. Sorry Dave. I'm not buying anything else. How about finishing the tempest?
SunSpots

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:32 pm

The supposed 2k+ pricetag is crazy talk. That's inflated bay area prices. The interface is a little odd too. Reminds me of the old SCI Tom or Drumtracks.

cpcompany
Common Wiggler

Post by cpcompany » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 am

Hopefully Dave sees sense and gives us a more knobby interface . No one wants to spend ages menu diving, especially when paying top rates for a synth.

_seph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by _seph » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:25 am

sure, knob twiddling is fun but so much moaning.. being that the Prophet 12 is essentially a modern SQ-80 (which has zero knobs) I really don't see this at all as an issue. minus the touch screen, it reminds me somewhat of the V-Synth XT form which isn't overly knob laden and yet is almost every bit as satisfying to use as the keyboard version. as long and the interface is unencumbered, I don't at all see this as a negative assuming that this is the necessary build to achieve a price $1000 less than the keyboard. anyway, my old SQ-80 was one of the more enjoyable synths to program and as long as the P12 desktop's menu system is as inspired by it as its general architecture, I feel that this will be a great addition to the DSI catalog.

In_black
Common Wiggler

Post by In_black » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:38 pm

i thought they would've learned their lesson with the Tetra. programming that thing was a nightmare...

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 pm

For as many of us that feel that it's going to be a nightmare (I'm part of us); there are scores of others that don't mind it and actually prefer a DAW plug-in/interface that allows all of the features to be tweaked.

I'm very close to the edge to sell my Voyager Old School, Pitch ribbon, Moog Delay in order to generate cash for another suite of somewhat expensive MU modules, and a Poly desktop/rack. I was excited to see this but I'm of the mind that it's just for somebody other than me.

Shame... but I do hope it sells.
Beware of programmers with screwdrivers...

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:17 pm

lets hope it just one of the prototypes, kind weird he is saying it is his best synth yet, you would think that it at least would get a same style desktop than the 08, or he just got flashed backed to the 80's

steampoweredsequencer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steampoweredsequencer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Oh man this makes me drool.
(menus don't bother me.)

eXode
Ultra Wiggler

Post by eXode » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:33 am

Quotes by Chris Hector, taken off the Prophet forum re interface and pricing:
Pym wrote:I can assure you it is nothing like the Mopho/Tetra in terms of programming. Those suffer from a menu diving feel where you have to scroll through a lot of parameters to get where you want. It wasn't ideal. The P12 Module at WORST is 2 button presses to get where you want to be. It's far, far, far easier to program but I completely understand the reaction based on the pictures.

Just postpone ultimate judgement until it gets out in the wild and people use it.
Pym wrote:Yeah, there isn't a whole lot we can do to cut down on costs for the 12 voices so to get it around 2K we had to strip down the interface quite a bit. A fully knobby version would cost roughly the same as the keyboard minus a few hundred $, not really enough of a jump to make sense for most people.

There are a few new macros that I added that make navigation easier in places (like assigning modulations and navigating through parameters when you have all osc/lfo/delay selected) but otherwise any updates to the module will also be going to the keyboard. We have a few things planned.

Captain Coconut
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Captain Coconut » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:27 pm

[video][/video]

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I need to un-see this.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Captain Coconut wrote:[video][/video]
Another product demo, another alcoholic beverage in the background.

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thesnow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 pm

2K is absurd. You better at least slap a short-octave keyboard with pitch/mod wheels on it for that price. Damn.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:35 pm

thesnow wrote:2K is absurd. You better at least slap a short-octave keyboard with pitch/mod wheels on it for that price. Damn.
Absurd compared to what? $2K (about $4.5K in 2013 dollars) was the price of a new DX-7 in the 80s. Sure it had a keyboard but not 12 analog filters, VCAs, a practical UI, etc.

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Looks nice. Driving in the menu doesnt look that bad.
But anyway 2000€ is too much id rather go for a prophet 08 desktop pot edition for maybe half the price used.
Still i love the look of the rack. Just not as much knobs as i wanted it to

:bacon:

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I'd say $2000 list -(10-15%). Not bad
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:59 pm

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Too much
Beware of programmers with screwdrivers...

jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

Post by jonah » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:17 am

gah, if it was multi-timbral.... i was hoping that'd be an update with the module....do you think that was a decision so as not to compete with the tempest? (but it'd make it a better expansion too...)

i could totally make tunes with 12x1 voices + a sequencer. 6x2 not so much. personally, that's probably the only way you could convince me to put a 2k synth in a backpack! (not saying it's a bad price in general, but not for my purposes)

if done right i kinda prefer a focused interface, but then i love a patch matrix too.

visually scanning hundreds of knobs VS going to a page and having all the controls in the same place each time is enjoyable to me as long as the pages aren't difficult to navigate.

i mean, i only have two hands, as long as i can change pages with one hand and tweak with the other, a compact interface ends up being faster. the only issue is if you want to adjust two knobs on different pages at once. :) (hopefully, there is some kind of assignable, "performance" page to map your most used controls)

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:38 am

Anyone else thought interface is kinda shruthi?
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

MoonPoly
Common Wiggler

Post by MoonPoly » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:27 am

What exactly is it that makes the P12 so expensive??, I mean are the chips in it 2x the price of the P08 that is all analog? .. it uses the same LP filter and then adds a HP and you need 4 more of these on the p12, but the rest is very similar except the p12 uses digital OSC wich I would think is a stored on a ROM or a RAM chip .. but I´m really a novice so can someone explain the crazy asking price of the p12? ..

honestly I think its just DSI milking it, they hit a nice organic sound, that's unique on today commercial level and they got greedy .. I just can´t believe that the mechanical cost are what is demanding the high asking price...

kimu
My Euro dreams of Electric Sheep

Post by kimu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:29 am

i guess a part of the price is to cover the R&D costs especially for software and UI development.
http://rsto.bandcamp.com/album/constellation my last album in free streaming and download (post-rock / synths / piano)

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShiftingTheOcean

http://soundcloud.com/kimuz - eurorack sounds

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 am

radiokoala wrote:Anyone else thought interface is kinda shruthi?
I did! Which is no bad thing either, as the UI works really well.
Also.. The very fact it's a hybrid synth is also somewhat 'Mutable Instruments'. Not that hybrids are a new or strictly MI thing of course..

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 am

radiokoala wrote:Anyone else thought interface is kinda shruthi?
I don't have a shruthi, but it reminds me of the Nord Modular G2's button-knob matrix UI.

krv
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by krv » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:53 pm

bad interface, stoopid layer/split options, too expensive... no way

Return to “General Gear”