Best way to sample my modular in Ableton

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Best way to sample my modular in Ableton

Post by Polyterative » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:01 pm

So I started creating some cool patches, and I wanted to sample them as instruments to be able to sound poly. I found out that I can use sampler to create multisampled instruments but it's really slow to sample instruments like this.
I have no problem with the real time recording but chopping the sample by hand note by note is really a slow process.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a of a faster way to sample my modular. I am currenty using an Expert Sleepers ES-9 with CV instrument like this.

I use Ableton Live

thanks
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Best way to sample my modular in Ableton

Post by trickness » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:06 pm

I am no Ableton whiz, but isn’t there an automatic way to do slicing within the Ableton samplers?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:35 pm

I use MainStage (autosampler) and then convert the files.... as I couldnt find any way to easily auto sample with round robin in ableton... be keen to hear if I missed something....
Last edited by forestcaver on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:57 pm

If on OSX, Mainstage is an useful and cheap application for building sample libraries. While it creates EXS24 files those are easily imported into Ableton Live samplers.

The underlying tech / app was Redmatica which was awesome. MainStage provides much of the same functionality for AutoSampler (though we still lost some of the other Redmatica apps) at a fraction of the price of the old Redmatica app.

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Any windows alternative?
► Show Spoiler

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:31 pm

bphenix wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:57 pm
If on OSX, Mainstage is an useful and cheap application for building sample libraries. While it creates EXS24 files those are easily imported into Ableton Live samplers.
(Just edited my post above - I typed ‘bandcamp’ - I meant MainStage !!! My excuse is I was listening to the latest coronavirus updates....)

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:31 pm

(Just edited my post above - I typed ‘bandcamp’ - I meant MainStage !!! My excuse is I was listening to the latest coronavirus updates....)
I was wondering but then I figured there was a piece of software I had never heard of. :)

pottering
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pottering » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 am

Live has "Slicing Presets" for the Slice to New MIDI Track function.

Save a Sampler preset set up like you prefer (Sampler's own default works well) in User Library > Defaults > Slicing.

Then right-click that "REC RAW" audio and select Slice to New MIDI Track. Slice per transient or whatever interval used in the MIDI sequence. Pick your new slicing preset in the popup.

You can use the resulting Sampler directly to play, but if you want separate WAVs, you can select all the Zones in the Sampler, right-click and select "Crop Samples", it will crop each slice into a file (not really necessary if you will only use Live).

The resulting Sampler from Slice to New MIDI Track starts at C1, so it is better the MIDI sequence used to record start at C1 too.

You can also just drop that file into Simpler in slice mode. Simpler Slice mode also starts from C1.

For velocity layers I would just create a Sampler for each velocity layer, then use a Instrument Rack with chains zoned by velocity.

For round robin, you can record the same MIDI X times (assuming the round robin is for capturing subtle variations), create a Sampler for each variation, then use nested Racks with the Random device:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-playback

Stoneyards
Common Wiggler

Post by Stoneyards » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:03 am

Pottering, thanks for the helpful post!

snadge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snadge » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:18 pm

When Noodling on my modular I use 8 direct outs from VCAs to my audio interface, then I have less clutter and can edit from there.

I clock from PC using Cubase 10.5, my modular used like this is an integral part of my music making.

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 am

pottering wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 am
Live has "Slicing Presets" for the Slice to New MIDI Track function.

Save a Sampler preset set up like you prefer (Sampler's own default works well) in User Library > Defaults > Slicing.

Then right-click that "REC RAW" audio and select Slice to New MIDI Track. Slice per transient or whatever interval used in the MIDI sequence. Pick your new slicing preset in the popup.

You can use the resulting Sampler directly to play, but if you want separate WAVs, you can select all the Zones in the Sampler, right-click and select "Crop Samples", it will crop each slice into a file (not really necessary if you will only use Live).

The resulting Sampler from Slice to New MIDI Track starts at C1, so it is better the MIDI sequence used to record start at C1 too.

You can also just drop that file into Simpler in slice mode. Simpler Slice mode also starts from C1.

For velocity layers I would just create a Sampler for each velocity layer, then use a Instrument Rack with chains zoned by velocity.

For round robin, you can record the same MIDI X times (assuming the round robin is for capturing subtle variations), create a Sampler for each variation, then use nested Racks with the Random device:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-playback
Great input thank you. Gonna try soon
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Music Software”