Help with Lemur ipad

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Help with Lemur ipad

Post by Smais » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:06 pm

I got Lemur to control my FH-1. Lemur and I am trying to work out how to change a fader's output midi-channel/cc with another object, such as a button or switch.

I would like to have 8 faders, where I am able to select between preset midi-channel/cc outputs for each fader, using buttons or switches. I have the 8 faders working with the various midi assignments no problem. But I cant figure out how to switch their output assignment in real time.

I asked on the Lemur forum but it's pretty dead so thought I'd ask here aswell.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:22 pm

have ya tried Utube there should be some vid's
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:37 pm

leeski wrote:have ya tried Utube there should be some vid's
yeah, i found some general vids and am working my way through the manual, but haven't figure it out.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:41 pm

try again in the Lemur forum. Make sure to give your thread a proper title. Something like "Help with Lemur" may go unnoticed.

Mainly you want to use Custom MIDI or a script with midiout command. There you can use variables for MIDI channel and CC number that you define in Switches arrays.

There are many templates in the forum and in the user library utilising this.

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Phil999 wrote:Mainly you want to use Custom MIDI or a script with midiout command. There you can use variables for MIDI channel and CC number that you define in Switches arrays.
I thought it would be something like that. Does using custom midi require script? I'm trying to figure what to learn. This is all I plan on using Lemur for, so I'd like to learn the minimum necessary :hihi:

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Custom MIDI does not require scripts.

Best thing is if you download the manual. Not only read it, study it. Take your time. Because once you figured out how to change MIDI channels on the fly, you want to do many other things with Lemur. "This is all I plan on using Lemur for" is where we all started. Better study the manual first, try the examples described in the manual. Analyse user templates in the editor.

Sorry if I can't help more. It is better to find out these simple things yourself, otherwise the whole thing makes no sense. That's also usual in the Lemur forum. If someone hasn't even taken a single look at the manual, his posts will generally be ignored. It really makes no sense to repeat what is already described in plain words in the well written manual.

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:43 am

Smais wrote:I'd like to learn the minimum necessary :hihi:
Phil999 wrote:Best thing is if you download the manual. Not only read it, study it... Better study the manual first, try the examples described in the manual... It is better to find out these simple things yourself
:doh: I'm not sure I made it clear, but that is exactly the opposite of what I wanted to do. I am working my way through the manual but it is 150 pages without even the extra stuff.
Phil999 wrote:If someone hasn't even taken a single look at the manual, his posts will generally be ignored. It really makes no sense to repeat what is already described in plain words in the well written manual.
I read a lot more than a single page, I read 59 pages before making the post. I do not learn well from manuals, especially when just reading it front to back with no goal. A massive amount of what I am learning is irrelevant to my task and thus difficult for me to relate to and quickly forgotten.

I think it is reasonable to ask simple specific questions at that point, and maybe unreasonable to expect people to have read, absorbed and memorised a manual of that size before allowing them to ask questions.

They could replace the troubleshooting forums with automatic reply machines that just say "RTFM", but that would sort of be missing the point.
Phil999 wrote:Sorry if I can't help more. It is better to find out these simple things yourself
I don't think you are sorry at all, in fact I think you get a little kick out of it. :yay:

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:30 am

Sorry by the way if any of that comes of as rude ^ I'm just annoyed that I have to read a manual :russian:

rod_zero
Common Wiggler

Post by rod_zero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Lemur isn't simple, requires reading the manual.

Maybe search for the suff you want directly and skip what is not relevant to you.

But anyway for what you are trying I would prefer to have a container with some tabs, each tab will contain 8 faders

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Ok I hear you guys, I'm reading I promise :despair:

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:17 pm

I understand your attitude. Understand it very well.

Let me just say that I was in the very same position 2 years ago. I got angry because I didn't get the simplest things done in Lemur. And because I did not have the background and knowledge of a programmer. I got angry above these cryptic remarks and advices.

Indeed you can skip the portions of the manual that are not relevant for the moment.

However, the best thing is to learn the basics, and you surely want to go further than just sending CC's to a specific MIDI channel, although this is all you want for the moment. Needless to say that you can automate these CC's in Lemur, record movements, etc. Lemur expands your studio equipment in many ways.

I knew this will enrage you, but that's how it is. Take your time. And no, I'm not enjoying this at all. I just try to give you the best advice possible.

Lemur is painful at the beginning, but joyful in the end. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

yfalmagne
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Help with Lemur ipad

Post by yfalmagne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 am

While this is way way late, I was searching for help and I just solved this for myself, so I figured I'd share what I did in case anyone else is looking for a quick fix.

For any variable that's sending midi, duplicate it by creating a custom MIDI expression(DIN icon) and entering the same static values. Unroute your 'x' variable (or whatever) and instead route the custom midi command to the target. You can then use variables in the data fields, so you can reference your original variable for the value ('x' or whatever it was) and another object for the midi channel fields (switch array works well).

This being said, Lemur exists as a powerful alternative to easy, plug n' play, and extremely inflexible controllers, although its sheer complexity is somewhat obscured in it's marketing to appeal to more users, so I get it. I owned Lemur for almost 2 years before really trying to get in there and customize. If reading the manual is annoying, then that's just Lemur that's annoying you, and its totally annoying and frustrating...if you expect things to just work. If you're the type to enjoy diving head first into a tech wormhole and coming up with new superpowers, then it's for you.

Personally, I find the search for new ways to control sound almost as exiting as the sound design itself, so while I'm still quite low on the learning curve, it keeps giving back more the more I learn and those moments of discovery when you get something to work for the first time are extremely satisfying.

Return to “Music Software”