Any simple VST bus for real time plugins?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Any simple VST bus for real time plugins?

Post by pugix » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:36 pm

I run MacOS Catalina, the 64-bit monster. After upgrading I could no longer use Audio Mulch, which I used mainly for passing audio in real time through VST plugins. Audio came in through an external USB interface, through Mulch and any VSTs, and back out again through the USB. I used it for an effects chain, together with my modular synth.

I still have a bunch of VSTs (and AUs) on the Mac, but nothing to run them with. I don't do any multi-track recording. In fact, I don't record on the computer at all. So I don't want a DAW. I use Audacity for making MP3s out of my WAV recordings. It doesn't support real time audio.

Have I made myself clear on what I'm looking for? Just a piece of software to run on the Mac that can pass stereo through a chain of VST plugins. Is there even such a thing? I'd pay for it. But nothing fancy.

Thanks,
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Any simple VST bus for real time plugins?

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:48 pm

The good news is that the emails saying "don't upgrade, we're not compatible with Big Sur yet" are already coming in, too- so I've honestly lost track. Someone once said "don't break userland" for a reason. Seems to be happening a lot in Cupertino recently.

You need to google for VST hosts. It's not clear which will or won't work right now with which versions of MacOS, ditto the plugins. Good luck.

architexture
Common Wiggler

Post by architexture » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:56 pm

Reaper does this

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:25 am

I know you said you don't want a DAW but this may be the way to go!

Ableton could be your answer and since they do a 90 day free trial what have you got to lose... :hmm:

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 am

Another vote for Ableton. You can just setup one stereo audio track with monitoring and just use it like that. The fx racks are really powerful - allowing unlimited third-party plug-ins in series and, on the same single channel, multiple parallel fx chains all with volume, panning, eq etc. Really simple to setup and user friendly - ignore the rest of the program and you’ve got exactly what you’re looking for.

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:03 am

And the intro version is £69 so pretty decent value

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying out Kushview Element.

https://kushview.net/element/

So far it basically works and even has a graphical drag-to-connect interface similar to Audio Mulch. However, it only found AU plugins. Some that I tried worked as expected. I have some licensed plugins, Uhbik from u-he, of which the AU versions appeared, but when selected immediately crash Element. It could be that they're 32-bit. I'll follow up with u-he to see if I can update them. And I have to find out why the VST plugins don't show up in Element. Anyway, I got started.

EDIT: I was able to upgrade Uhbik from 1.2 to 1.3 and then the Uhbik AU plugins worked. Still no VST plugins showing up.
Richard

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:58 am

Element looks pretty cool, not seen that before. Do you have to specify the VST folder in the settings to get it to find them?

Might not link them by default:

https://help.kushview.net/article/9-vst ... ugin-paths

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:19 am

In the past, I was in a project and we brought a lot of our plugins with us live via a Muse Receptor. That thing was bomb proof.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:15 am

pugix wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:36 pm
So I don't want a DAW.

Just a piece of software to run on the Mac that can pass stereo through a chain of VST plugins.
I do this !

first: i don´t know kushview ! so i can´t compare it

in short:

My Tip: the pro solution today, and much likely the best VST/AU Host: Gig performer3 (its where i ended and what i use now)
GP3 is optimised for small latencys ! it is stable ! ......it is simple in use if you grasp some initial things.
It is becoming right now as it seems the defacto standard for pros, live on stage and in studios.
It has NO multi CPU support, intentionally, to keep latencys as small as possible.
It is AWESOME !

those are the three i landed on, after diving away from ableton live 3-4 years back, since i either do not need a DAW
freeware, good: http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html
my Tip: https://gigperformer.com/
also worth to mention: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Maybe check also H-AU, a AU freeware for mac ( AU only !) But: only one stereo in for external signals
edit: can´t say if it will run with your macOS

H-AU:
this one is great. I can vouch for it. its simple and straightforward but limited.
4 "tracks" ( parallel chains), but only one is good for external Audio in afaik. 4 FX per "track", plus master with 4 more FX slots,
quick and simple handling of mapping midi CCs to controllers, but limited to 16 mapings.
I think its the most straightforward one for simple uses ( i still use it) on a mac.

Gig performer 3,
thats where i ended now, after also using BlueCats "Patchwork. (which is also great, but does not give "that" flexibility like GP3)
GP3 seems to become these days the goto standard for pros, is it live use or studio.
It seems to outperform anything else in regards to short latencys, stability, .....but its really really strenght point is:
you can patch quite free with your VSTs. Instruments or FX....quasi whatever you like.
It feels to some degree like patching with a nord modular, ....its ofcourse not the same, but any VST is represented as a block,
and you´re free with how you want to route your audio.
split audio pathes, mix them..........you´re absolutely free. (i´ve not run into limitations....exept of my cPU)

mapping CCs to controllers follows its own path, its labour intensiv, but finally straightforward, and allows a freedom i´ve only seen in ableton Live.
you could programm one knob morphs for example.
( you have to create a virtual controller layout on a second page, the midi mappings happens then there.
that mapping allows for alots of freedoms, and people with some coding skills, get to have a own scripting language,
which allows to overcome some restrictions ......in any direction vs. GP3)

to note vs. GP3:
you can buy it also from plugin alliance, it appears there regularly for 99$, ...there is also a demo availabvle of GP3.
The plugin alliance one is NOT uptdated with every single update ! ....but its the crossplattform deal.
GP3 has a forum with a GREAT community, the two developers beeing quite active there (they are also musicians)
GP3 is IMHO the pro tip these days ! ....its fast to use when it comes to patch with the VSTs.......just the controller mapping is work
https://community.gigperformer.com/

Latenzy ?
i´m on an old macmini 2012, the latency with GP3 is way way way better than using ableton live as a host.
ableton might even be the worst of the DAWs for that task ?, ...so no clue why people would tell you to use ableton live ( which was what i did bevore)
You guys have power machines, right ? ;)

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 am

adg672 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:58 am
Element looks pretty cool, not seen that before. Do you have to specify the VST folder in the settings to get it to find them?

Might not link them by default:

https://help.kushview.net/article/9-vst ... ugin-paths
I needed to scan manually for VST and VST3. Then they were available. Thanks.
Richard

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 am

@Funky40
I had looked at Gig Performer 3. Looks great, but it's more than I need and it looks like Element will do the job for me. Element is at version 0.44 right now and is in current development, which is one reason I chose it over some others that haven't been getting updates.

Thanks,
Richard

Potscrubber
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Potscrubber » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Plogue Bidule for the win. Like Element but much more stable. Expect a little learning curve. Sort of like a midway point between Max and Audiomulch?

wadesey
Common Wiggler

Post by wadesey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Would Mainstage 3 work? You can use it as an effects rack, but I'm pretty sure it'll be AU only unless you use something like Blue Cat Patchwork to load VSTs, and actually you can also chain effects together inside Patchwork. The upside is since it's an Apple product it always works with the newest OS instead of being broken/unusable every other year...

efluon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by efluon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:47 pm

Mainstage is probably great for that as well.

That said, we use Ableton Live in our "studio", hosting three fixed fx chains, with tempo synced fx and ableton link. Fx are all controlled with one mapping on a BCR controller (the one with all the knobs). This works great, like having hardware fx, but much better quality than what we could afford (this is an used i3 with an rme hdsp and an 8 channel converter). The box does nothing else, well, it also records, when we think we got something going, but no sequencing.

And at Slice they are giving away Live lite (if you give them your credentials).

gentleclockdivider
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gentleclockdivider » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:34 am

I highly recommend cantabile , verry stable , only downside is no vst3 (yet )
Cantabile light is free so you can testdrive that to see if you like it , the latest versions have a nice cable connection system

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:57 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:34 am
I highly recommend cantabile , verry stable , only downside is no vst3 (yet )
Cantabile light is free so you can testdrive that to see if you like it , the latest versions have a nice cable connection system
If you’re the same person as the Reaktor builder, love your work (all .ens are top quality, Cable FM is great and Modal’s one of my favs ever). Good to see you here.

gentleclockdivider
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gentleclockdivider » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 am

Yes , I am the same person :)
I registered a couple of years ago but forgot my login credentials , so I registered again :)
Thanks for the kind words

adg672
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adg672 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:21 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 am
Yes , I am the same person :)
I registered a couple of years ago but forgot my login credentials , so I registered again :)
Thanks for the kind words
Cool. Good to see you back on the UL, look forward to anything else you share :tu:

Return to “Music Software”