Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jamos
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm
Location: Eugene Oregon

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by jamos » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Adobe Audition 2.0 will probably do what you need, as long as you'r using Windows. As always, good luck finding it.
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, MPC Live, and a growing Euro system.

User avatar
commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm
Location: Placerville, CA

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:53 pm
i use audacity for sound design, and reaper as a daw, and have never had serious problems. i also use audacity in teaching, and it's great for introductory musique concrete workshops because it's relatively easy to use and free. i have occasionally used it in a pinch as a crude daw for small quick projects, but it's really not designed for that, which becomes obvious with 4-8 tracks. but the the OP mentioned ~50 tracks, which is way beyond the pale. no need to trash the product because it failed to do something it wasn't designed to do.
Well, for starters, I'd like to see somebody back up this claim that "it's not intended for large-scale multitrack recording!!!" because I certainly don't see anything on their site to that effect.

But more to the point: the problem I have with it isn't that it crashed. It's that A. their own stupid design decisions make recovering from a crash a serious ordeal, and B. the tool they made as a workaround for that doesn't reliably work.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

User avatar
motorhead412
Common Wiggler
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by motorhead412 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Audacity is my pal. It works for me for editing, basic mixing and running free plugins. I’m too lazy/uninterested in learning to use a “real” DAW thingy. Shrug. I’m a simple simpleton.

User avatar
vromr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by vromr » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Steinberg Wavelab all day everyday with batch programmability.
$100.

Countcowden
Common Wiggler
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:08 am
Location: Montreal

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by Countcowden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 pm

docile fossil wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm
life is too short to rely on audacity for anything other than emergency recordings on a solar powered laptop after the apocalypse. spend 30 minutes with reaper and don't look back.

alternatively, there are lite versions of ableton included with just about every midi controller out there now. a patient person could find someone on reddit or elsewhere who'd likely be willing to send the key their way.
Not even free before the big upgrade to 11 for lite.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/1 ... lite-free/

Though expect given the equipment list I doubt it will help.

User avatar
funeralcake
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by funeralcake » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:13 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 am
Yes Powder wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:59 am
People actually use Audacity as a multitrack recorder and arranger? I mean I guess you could, but I always got the impression that it was designed as more of a quick sample editor than a full-on recording suite. At least that's how I've always used it.
Really sounds like you're trying to do surgery with kitchen utensils, tbh.
I'd say it's more trying to play the violin with a weed whacker
As someone who used Windows Sound Recorder and GoldWave for years to do multi-tracking, Audacity is not nearly as bad for this particular function... (The others don't even do multi-track recording natively, which made for some rather clumsy workarounds) I personally hate it for everything else, though.
useless

User avatar
htor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 am

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by htor » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 pm
Are they obligated to fix this? Well, not legally, because yeah, free software. But if you're putting something out there for public use, you are in some sense making a claim that it's suitable for the purpose. And if people (many people, over many years) point out an issue that makes it less than suitable, I do think you have some responsibility to address that - and not with a slapdash quick-fix that doesn't work. Because your inherent claim to be suitable for the job means that you're asking people to trust you with their work, and when you make bad design decisions and then offer bad fixes for them, you're betraying that trust. If you can't be bothered to do a thing well, you probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

Which also touches on the "it's open-source, fix it yourself!" argument: I have heard this line many times over many years regarding many issues in many programs. Yes, I am a programmer, and in theory there's no reason I couldn't fork the whole project, redesign the storage system to be more comprehensible and more easily recoverable, and put that out there. But here's the thing: that would be an investment of many hours into a project that is not the thing I want to be working on. What I want to be doing is recording and arranging the piece I'm writing. That's the whole reason why I chose to trust in someone else's work in the first place. If I had infinite free time, I could write an entire operating system and application suite from scratch, perfectly to my taste, sure. But I'm a mortal human being and I have maybe 60 years left on this planet. I'd like to focus on my actual interests.
commodorejohn wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm
fluxmonkey wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:53 pm
i use audacity for sound design, and reaper as a daw, and have never had serious problems. i also use audacity in teaching, and it's great for introductory musique concrete workshops because it's relatively easy to use and free. i have occasionally used it in a pinch as a crude daw for small quick projects, but it's really not designed for that, which becomes obvious with 4-8 tracks. but the the OP mentioned ~50 tracks, which is way beyond the pale. no need to trash the product because it failed to do something it wasn't designed to do.
Well, for starters, I'd like to see somebody back up this claim that "it's not intended for large-scale multitrack recording!!!" because I certainly don't see anything on their site to that effect.

But more to the point: the problem I have with it isn't that it crashed. It's that A. their own stupid design decisions make recovering from a crash a serious ordeal, and B. the tool they made as a workaround for that doesn't reliably work.
i think you don't understand the simple concept of free and open source. you think it's free as in a free beer? no, it's free as in you are free to use it, copy it and or even modify to your needs it if you want it. that freedom does not come with a guarantee.

the software is a collaborative effort by a group of individuals who spend their free time doing it out of their good will. they are not obligated to earn your trust because your are not their customer and they will improve the software in a way they see fit, according to their own will. you get what you pay for and you use the software at your own risk. it sucks to loose hours of material - it really does. but if it's unreliable then either help fix it (this is how open source works best) or get over it and maybe start using something you trust.

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:27 am

The funny thing is that even a colleague of mine who was an Audacity dev wouldn't use it as a DAW- the raging is moot. Save calories, run Reaper if budget is the issue.

(..and yes, Ableton Lite can be obtained for free very easily- when most hardware comes with it, many people have licenses they'll never use. I've personally handed several out to people, and it happens in places like music production/synth reddits all the time too, if people ask politely.)

User avatar
commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm
Location: Placerville, CA

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm

htor wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 am
i think you don't understand the simple concept of free and open source. you think it's free as in a free beer? no, it's free as in you are free to use it, copy it and or even modify to your needs it if you want it. that freedom does not come with a guarantee.
I understand what you're saying just fine. I just don't agree with your argument, for reasons already detailed.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Audacity for multitrack?.

EW, wtf. Just why?

User avatar
teleport
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:43 pm
Location: Oakland

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by teleport » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Have only used audacity very briefly for some utility functions and found it to be very clunky, and feel that most modern DAW's have obscure and overly idiosyncratic design, (flat UI trends must die :bang: !)

Used Cool Edit Pro heavily back in the day for recording and editing short percussive samples, something that is frustratingly absent from its contemporary incarnation in Audition, is the apparent lack of any capability to make manual adjustments to individual samples, (otherwise audition blessedly carries forward much of the straightforwardness of CEP, and has decent multitrack support if you don't need MIDI integration).


direct editing of sample values in this example (click for animated GIF) :
CEP_Sample_Adjust.gif

(for some reason the screen capture offsets the cursor, but in reality you directly grab the sample with the hand and move it vertically around)

... how can it be that this isn't considered basic required functionality? This seems absolutley essential for making tweaks and adjustments for splices and pops and other fine tuning, without having to invoke a whole array operation selection sequence that will probably screw up something else at the edges of the region. Are there any current DAW's that support this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by Zymos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Dear Audacity,
Please live happily forever, because I appreciate a free, easy to use audio editor that works perfectly for the simple tasks I need it for- fade ins, normalizing, format conversions, etc....
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

User avatar
rplktr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:45 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by rplktr » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm
htor wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 am
i think you don't understand the simple concept of free and open source. you think it's free as in a free beer? no, it's free as in you are free to use it, copy it and or even modify to your needs it if you want it. that freedom does not come with a guarantee.
I understand what you're saying just fine. I just don't agree with your argument, for reasons already detailed.
While I understand the frustration of losing work, and this is rightfully something that should be improved, I have seen crashes in commercial software and hardware as well. In the ideal world we'd have no crashes in either case but in the open source case at least you can look at the source, compile it yourself, debug it on your own machine. For commercial software most of the time you'd "send a crash report" and never hear from the company again.

Don't have the time? Just pay the license for Audition on Windows, or Amadeus Pro on macOS, and you're done. That's what I did, end of story.

Now, since you say you want to drag the authors to the Hague and you wish on the project itself to die a horrible death, let me be just as frank with you. You might have some naive notion of the Legion of Open Source People conspiring against you in some secret hi-tech underground headquarters in San Francisco but it's far more likely that the free software you depend on is literally worked on by two guys after hours, free of charge. Asshole behavior like yours is only capable of burning those maintainers out. And as an open source maintainer myself I can tell you this happens all too often.

In the end, while unfortunate, your particular experience doesn't matter. Your vicious opinion and demands don't matter. Plenty of people use Audacity successfully for their needs. And you? You can have all your money back, man. Read the goddamn license.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

MisterJ
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:38 am

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by MisterJ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 pm

I've used Audacity and never had crashes but I did have some audio crackles and pops. That was probably due to the driver for the M-Audio interface I was using, not Audacity. Due to its interface and logic, I never do anything but stereo recording with it. I recently bought a MOTU 828 MK2 and am using it with Cakewalk which is now free and am quite happy with the results. The audio interface is just as important as the software that connects to it. The only drawback to Cakewalk is that you have to install Bandlab which is bloated and useless to download and activate it but once activated, you can back up the activation and get rid of Bandlab. I'm using Cakewalk in the most simple way possible, just as a mulitrack and base my use of it on what the 828 is capable of, not where the software might want to take me. Crashes are an unfortunate fact of computing and we've all had them. Expensive proprietary software doesn't spare you from them so you would curse a lot louder if you had a few hundred dollars in software that lost a couple hours of work.

In the computer department, I, like John, use a lot of older computers. I have a 2004 Pentium 4 Sony Vaio with Xp that runs older audio software like Soundforge. Cakewalk runs on a quad core i7 Thinkpad from 2012. I sequence on an Atari Mega ST running Notator with a Unitor Midi expander. I also have a couple of Amigas but don't do anything audio or Midi related with them.

User avatar
tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:20 am

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by tioJim » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 pm
InkScape.
InkScape is dreadful. There's nothing free about it. It cost me hours of frustration.

Why on Earth can't people criticise something that's free?! What nonsense.

User avatar
commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm
Location: Placerville, CA

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

rplktr wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm
While I understand the frustration of losing work, and this is rightfully something that should be improved, I have seen crashes in commercial software and hardware as well. In the ideal world we'd have no crashes in either case but in the open source case at least you can look at the source, compile it yourself, debug it on your own machine. For commercial software most of the time you'd "send a crash report" and never hear from the company again.
Let me be clear here: I never intended to argue against FOSS as a whole, and I never framed it that way to begin with. I have absolutely nothing against it, and I quite agree that commercial software can be just as buggy and failsome. (Hell, I'm running Devuan as a daily driver, albeit not on my recording workstation.) My only argument in that regard was against the notion that it's unfair to criticize poor design decisions and flaky workarounds for the issues caused by poor design decisions because hey, whaddya want? It's free! - and I've already detailed my line of reasoning for rejecting that argument upthread.

(And, let me reiterate, this is something that has been a known issue with Audacity for over a decade, and has never seen a proper fix, only a dodgy workaround. It would've been entirely within the dev team's power to make a trivial fix somewhere in the last ten years - like naming audio snippets with an easily-sortable creation timestamp instead of an apparently random or at least definitely not ordinal hexadecimal tag, so that re-importing them in order in the event of a crash is not a major ordeal - but they didn't do that.)

But, inevitably, some people on the Internet have the mindset that any criticism of a specific piece of open-source software amounts to an attack on the whole FOSS world and the very concept itself, so complaining about this specific behavior in Audacity is essentially a declaration of war. This is illogical and silly beyond belief, but that's what you get when you turn a development methodology into a religion, I guess.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

User avatar
tehyar
I dream in SciFi
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by tehyar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Free means it costs no money, but that doesn’t mean it costs a person nothing at all. Unless they think their time is completely worthless, of course. In which case maybe they could value themselves a little more. What’s really worthless: telling someone else how they’re supposed to feel about it.

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7244
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm

rplktr wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm
commodorejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm
htor wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 am
i think you don't understand the simple concept of free and open source. you think it's free as in a free beer? no, it's free as in you are free to use it, copy it and or even modify to your needs it if you want it. that freedom does not come with a guarantee.
I understand what you're saying just fine. I just don't agree with your argument, for reasons already detailed.
While I understand the frustration of losing work, and this is rightfully something that should be improved, I have seen crashes in commercial software and hardware as well. In the ideal world we'd have no crashes in either case but in the open source case at least you can look at the source, compile it yourself, debug it on your own machine. For commercial software most of the time you'd "send a crash report" and never hear from the company again.

Don't have the time? Just pay the license for Audition on Windows, or Amadeus Pro on macOS, and you're done. That's what I did, end of story.

Now, since you say you want to drag the authors to the Hague and you wish on the project itself to die a horrible death, let me be just as frank with you. You might have some naive notion of the Legion of Open Source People conspiring against you in some secret hi-tech underground headquarters in San Francisco but it's far more likely that the free software you depend on is literally worked on by two guys after hours, free of charge. Asshole behavior like yours is only capable of burning those maintainers out. And as an open source maintainer myself I can tell you this happens all too often.

In the end, while unfortunate, your particular experience doesn't matter. Your vicious opinion and demands don't matter. Plenty of people use Audacity successfully for their needs. And you? You can have all your money back, man. Read the goddamn license.
Goddamm!!! My my! Aren't WE the big man! Harsh much? Who on Earth do you think you are anyway? The dude had a fucking bad day ... he vented ... he admitted so ... and YOU come along on your high and mighty horse of morality and call him names? PERSONALLY attack the man just because he had a bad fucking day?

YOU'RE THE ASSHOLE!!! ASSHOLE!

Hide behind that monitor ... you're one of those ~warriors~ that thinks he's got the balls of a bull .... more like HUNG LIKE A SQUIRREL!!

Man oh man ... I've seen some asshats in this membership but hauling out every finger-wagging you've had leveled your way in high school so you can take it out on John?

Pffftt..... just another web punk. You would NEVER talk like that to him or anyone else face to face. You know. I know it. And everyone you've ever met knows it.

Yer mom's callin .... I think she heard you swear or something ... uh oh! Now yer in trouble! No internet for you for a WEEK mister! No it's time for your jammies ... brush those teeth and get to bed buster!

:roll:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

User avatar
rplktr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:45 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by rplktr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm
Yer mom's callin .... I think she heard you swear or something ... uh oh! Now yer in trouble! No internet for you for a WEEK mister! No it's time for your jammies ... brush those teeth and get to bed buster!
What is this middle school level rambling? Come back when you have something to say. In the mean time, I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
commodorejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm
But, inevitably, some people on the Internet have the mindset that any criticism of a specific piece of open-source software amounts to an attack on the whole FOSS world and the very concept itself, so complaining about this specific behavior in Audacity is essentially a declaration of war. This is illogical and silly beyond belief, but that's what you get when you turn a development methodology into a religion, I guess.
John, I wasn't arguing against constructive criticism. I was arguing against vitriol like "please die horribly", "every decision they make is cancer and madness", "people responsible for this garbage should be hauled into the Hague", as well as entitlement like "if people point out an issue that makes it less than suitable, you have some responsibility to address that" or "if you can't be bothered to do a thing well, you probably shouldn't be doing it at all".

Shit like this doesn't solve anything. It only burns people out. The entire population of users suffers in the end because some random person on the Internet felt like venting and a maintainer gave up. You are not the only user and speaking as if your issue is a defining issue for the entire project's quality is some delusion of grandeur.

You write you won't be fixing this yourself because "that would be an investment of many hours into a project that is *not* the thing I want to be working on". Dude, bingo. Maybe the same can be said about the maintainers who work on Audacity for free? They owe you nothing. You found free money on the street and you're venting because it's not the bill you wanted.

As for the claim that "if you're putting something out there for public use, you are in some sense making a claim that it's suitable for the purpose", the license in Article 11 explicitly states the following (in caps!):
THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

User avatar
commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm
Location: Placerville, CA

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:14 am

You can boilerplate and legalese and CYA all you want, but this does not change the fact that if you offer up something that is, in its design, clearly intended for a particular purpose, you are in essence making a claim that it is fit for that purpose. If you need to throw the rabid lawyer hordes off your scent, sure, fine. But it changes nothing about what you're obviously doing/making.

As for this:
rplktr wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 am
Shit like this doesn't solve anything. It only burns people out. The entire population of users suffers in the end because some random person on the Internet felt like venting and a maintainer gave up. You are not the only user and speaking as if your issue is a defining issue for the entire project's quality is some delusion of grandeur.
...this mindset is The Primary Reason why the FOSS community continues to fail at obviating the need for the commercial/propietary software world. Because, with this line of reasoning, every issue becomes a matter of hand-waving and trite dismissal, and nothing ever needs serious examination or addressing. I cannot begin to count the number of times I've seen people raise legimitate issues with some FOSS project or other, only to be aggressively hounded out of the discussion by a bunch of people reciting the mantras that "it works for me!" and "your use case isn't important anyway!" Small wonder that a community whose primary approach to advocacy and evangelism is to blame the user and demand that they adjust their workflow to suit the developers' whims has trouble winning people over, even against a complete dodo like MS.

I am not the only user, no. But I am also not the only user who has run into exactly this problem over the years. You can do a quick Google search and confirm this: many people have had this same experience, losing hours/days of work and desperately trying to figure out how to recover it, year after year, when all it would take is a trivial change in the storage infrastructure. But nobody in charge cares, because "it works for me!"

Anyway! After spending a half-hour writing a script to rename files into a sensible order by creation date, and another 3-4 hrs. sorting through shit, I'm nearly halfway through recovering all the work that I lost, which could've been an entirely trivial task had anybody made a non-stupid design decision or corrected an existing stupid one at any point in the last ten years!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

User avatar
rplktr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:45 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by rplktr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:36 am

The point of FOSS is freedom of running software and hardware that is not a black box. The fact it's available free of charge is a secondary benefit.

As we already established, the opinion of a random person on the Internet who is not interested in contributing but Has Demands carries no weight. Especially followed by ludicrous claims that FOSS is somehow a failure.

7 most popular programming languages in the industry have open source compilers and/or runtimes. The code for the two most popular Web browsers on the planet is open. Almost the entire Internet is served by open source software. The most popular database on the planet is open source. The second most popular game engine in the industry is open source. Pretty much all of machine learning and data science research (colloquially AI) is done in the open. All Mutable Instruments, o_C, and quite a few others are open source, fueling innovation and bringing down prices.

But sure, open source is a failure because Audacity uses hashes in filenames :doh: You should follow your line of thinking to its logical conclusion and say it out loud: "I wish open source maintainers (who work without compensation and release their software for free) worked on what I tell them to work on."
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7289
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by dubonaire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:51 am

So first let me say my experience over the years is that commodorejohn is one of the truly decent and experienced people on this forum. That might not be material to the discussion but I think it is worth mentioning. I give anything he posts a degree of respect.

I was recently struggling to get a new audio interface which has 32 I/O to work and was trying all the software I have at my disposal to rule things out. Trying to load Audacity with this interface crashed it immediately every time, it simply could not handle that number of channels. So it’s worth making that clear.

I found the problem eventually, but realized Audacity is limited. Want to do some simple stereo recording, it’s better than great value. But for serious multichannel work, it does not have the capacity, and I think the developers should make clear it’s limitations, free or not.

User avatar
strettara
mufferthucker
Posts: 6551
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: das Land der eisernen Wurst

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by strettara » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:13 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm
rplktr wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm
commodorejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm
htor wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 am
i think you don't understand the simple concept of free and open source. you think it's free as in a free beer? no, it's free as in you are free to use it, copy it and or even modify to your needs it if you want it. that freedom does not come with a guarantee.
I understand what you're saying just fine. I just don't agree with your argument, for reasons already detailed.
While I understand the frustration of losing work, and this is rightfully something that should be improved, I have seen crashes in commercial software and hardware as well. In the ideal world we'd have no crashes in either case but in the open source case at least you can look at the source, compile it yourself, debug it on your own machine. For commercial software most of the time you'd "send a crash report" and never hear from the company again.

Don't have the time? Just pay the license for Audition on Windows, or Amadeus Pro on macOS, and you're done. That's what I did, end of story.

Now, since you say you want to drag the authors to the Hague and you wish on the project itself to die a horrible death, let me be just as frank with you. You might have some naive notion of the Legion of Open Source People conspiring against you in some secret hi-tech underground headquarters in San Francisco but it's far more likely that the free software you depend on is literally worked on by two guys after hours, free of charge. Asshole behavior like yours is only capable of burning those maintainers out. And as an open source maintainer myself I can tell you this happens all too often.

In the end, while unfortunate, your particular experience doesn't matter. Your vicious opinion and demands don't matter. Plenty of people use Audacity successfully for their needs. And you? You can have all your money back, man. Read the goddamn license.
Goddamm!!! My my! Aren't WE the big man! Harsh much? Who on Earth do you think you are anyway? The dude had a fucking bad day ... he vented ... he admitted so ... and YOU come along on your high and mighty horse of morality and call him names? PERSONALLY attack the man just because he had a bad fucking day?

YOU'RE THE ASSHOLE!!! ASSHOLE!

Hide behind that monitor ... you're one of those ~warriors~ that thinks he's got the balls of a bull .... more like HUNG LIKE A SQUIRREL!!

Man oh man ... I've seen some asshats in this membership but hauling out every finger-wagging you've had leveled your way in high school so you can take it out on John?

Pffftt..... just another web punk. You would NEVER talk like that to him or anyone else face to face. You know. I know it. And everyone you've ever met knows it.

Yer mom's callin .... I think she heard you swear or something ... uh oh! Now yer in trouble! No internet for you for a WEEK mister! No it's time for your jammies ... brush those teeth and get to bed buster!

:roll:
:picard:
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

User avatar
htor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 am

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by htor » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 am

Image

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:07 am

Re: Dear Audacity: please die. Horribly.

Post by unclebastard » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:24 am

I use Audacity for the sole purpose of amplifying my recordings- I mix and render at -14db- up to a 0db peak, and occasionally converting them to mp3. For functions like that, it's fine. I wouldn't use it for anything more critical.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

Post Reply

Return to “Music Software”