Ableton Live 11 Announced

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ableton Live 11 Announced

Post by The Junglechrist » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am

I just a few effect racks presets this morning for dynamic sample rate reduction / bitcrushing, mostly breakbeat torture oriented, you can grab those over here (even if you are not a patron):

https://www.patreon.com/posts/10-dynamic-live-44075080

snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 pm

When 10 was announced I decided to stick with 9 Suite as I have years of old recordings and sessions using ancient/no longer available 32bit plugins. If I was going to have to keep 9 around anyway to have access to my past work, there was no need for me to upgrade to 10.
You can use jBridge to run your 32bit VSTs in 64bit versions of Ableton.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

I also have a lot of 32bit VSTs (arcDev, DestroyFX, etc) that I truly love. I've been using jBridge with v10 and it works great. One thing to note - I had to run Ableton 10 as administrator (Windows 10) for the 32bit VST interfaces to display.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 pm

:tu:

Thanks for this - Ive been eyeballing 32Lives (for OSX AUs) but will certainly give jBridge a whirl - price is very good too!
Cheers!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:19 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 am
I went to preorder Live 11 and then had to cancel the order. I saw that the system requirements were OSX 10.13 High Sierra and my music machine, a 8-core Cheese Grater tower, can't go that high. It is stuck on 10.11 El Capitan and runs Live 10 just fine on it, along with Reason 11 and many older plugins. I won't be getting it unless I get a new machine to replace my Graphics Mac Mini and get it for that one.
I have a 3,1 cheese grater that I patched with 10.13.6 and works just fine. I followed the instruction here:

I am glad I stuck with Live 9 and skipped on Live 10 till this offer, cause I paid the discounted price for Live 10 a week ago and got the license for Live 11 for "free" as well.
Although I am planning on moving away from making finished tracks in Ableton and moving to Reaper, I am planning on Rewiring Ableton to Reaper and I also have students that use Ableton Live, so I have to be up to date.

I think Live 11 is more a "Live 10.2" than a Live 11. I sure hope PDC in Live 11 is better.

snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:09 pm

mckenic wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 pm
:tu:

Thanks for this - Ive been eyeballing 32Lives (for OSX AUs) but will certainly give jBridge a whirl - price is very good too!
Cheers!
My pleasure! Long live 32bit VSTs! Cough...wheez...

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 pm

nectarios wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:19 am
I sure hope PDC in Live 11 is better.
Me too.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 pm

nectarios wrote:
I have a 3,1 cheese grater that I patched with 10.13.6 and works just fine. I followed the instruction here:

I am glad I stuck with Live 9 and skipped on Live 10 till this offer, cause I paid the discounted price for Live 10 a week ago and got the license for Live 11 for "free" as well.
Although I am planning on moving away from making finished tracks in Ableton and moving to Reaper, I am planning on Rewiring Ableton to Reaper and I also have students that use Ableton Live, so I have to be up to date.

I think Live 11 is more a "Live 10.2" than a Live 11. I sure hope PDC in Live 11 is better.
Thanks for the video link. The MacPro3,1 is the exact machine I have and I have plenty of spare drives to try this out on. Thanks!
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm

nectarios wrote:
Ableton tends to give decimal incremental version numbers for bug fixes, new hardware support and occasional device tweaks and they are free. Whenever it introduces new features it uses a full version increment. But I see your point, it's not a big cache of new features.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Monofunk wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 pm
nectarios wrote:
Me too.
Me three. And latency. When I plug in through a guitar or bass and play through an amp sim, the latency is noticeably higher than in Logic or Bitwig. I would really like them to fix that.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:39 pm

JES wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 pm
Monofunk wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 pm
nectarios wrote:
Me too.
Me three. And latency. When I plug in through a guitar or bass and play through an amp sim, the latency is noticeably higher than in Logic or Bitwig. I would really like them to fix that.
Same problems here. Monitoring through the interface helps but then I lose the benefit of hearing the plugins. Using the external audio effect helps but then I have to tweak a bunch of other numbers to try and compensate. Live doesn't seem to use true bypass always an inactive plugins make things worse. It's really frustrating when tracking.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm
nectarios wrote:
Ableton tends to give decimal incremental version numbers for bug fixes, new hardware support and occasional device tweaks and they are free. Whenever it introduces new features it uses a full version increment. But I see your point, it's not a big cache of new features.
I bought into Live when 9.5 came out. That was a big upgrade, with new stuff, more than just bug fixes and it was a ".5". I also bought a Push 2 (which I sold later) and that had new stuff in terms of integration (if I remember correctly anyway) for 9.5 update.

But yeah, I guess companies need to make money and stuff has gotten so advanced, its not easy to give something new and amazing constantly.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:57 am

nectarios wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm
nectarios wrote:
I bought into Live when 9.5 came out. That was a big upgrade, with new stuff, more than just bug fixes and it was a ".5". I also bought a Push 2 (which I sold later) and that had new stuff in terms of integration (if I remember correctly anyway) for 9.5 update.

But yeah, I guess companies need to make money and stuff has gotten so advanced, its not easy to give something new and amazing constantly.
I don't see this as an incremental update. Too much new, useful, stuff, not just devices either. The scales on the piano roll will replace many VSTs out there.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am

What is actually important is how much of the important stuff that needs fixing (PDC, bad CPU handling, MIDI channel offset delay) will be addressed, instead of adding small or big (depending on the way one looks at it) features.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 am

nectarios wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am
What is actually important is how much of the important stuff that needs fixing (PDC, bad CPU handling, MIDI channel offset delay) will be addressed, instead of adding small or big (depending on the way one looks at it) features.
They actually need to do both. Addressing existing issues tends to keep the experienced users upgrading. Adding new features keeps the happy users upgrading and bring in new users.

Marketing / sales tends to push development in directions the developers often don't want to take. But in the end software development is about making the most money possible with the least expenditures. It's a battle I fight as a developer every day. It's especially true when the marketing/sales people have only a surface knowledge of the product.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 am

nectarios wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am
What is actually important is how much of the important stuff that needs fixing (PDC, bad CPU handling, MIDI channel offset delay)
I'm guessing there has been little to no improvements on these considering the beta has been out for a bit and we haven't heard any reports?

Really would love to see the delay compensation system improved, they have been really pushing hardware integration with Live and I feel like everyone has the same experience when they try and sync up external gear - Try, fail, work around, hope it all doesn't fall apart.

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 pm

We can report the compensation issues at ableton.centercode.com. The more the issue is raised there the more chance developers will see and consider fixes.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:48 pm

They are well aware of the PDC issues. People have been asking for this issue to be addressed, since versions ago.
They either don't care enough to fix it, which is strange indeed if that is the case, or do not know how to fix it, at this point anyway.

Either way, I am not in a position to say which is the reason, I can only conclude either of them to be the reason cause PDC is very important and it is *terrible* in Ableton.

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:49 pm

I hear people mentioning delay compensation problems in Live all the time but I’ve never encountered one that couldn’t be fixed after figuring out why Live chose to handle it a certain way. What problems are people having? My biggest issue with Live was always comping, it was wild to me it didn’t exist.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:54 am

bobbylandry wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:49 pm
I hear people mentioning delay compensation problems in Live all the time but I’ve never encountered one that couldn’t be fixed after figuring out why Live chose to handle it a certain way. What problems are people having? My biggest issue with Live was always comping, it was wild to me it didn’t exist.
Using synced gate, ducking effects after plug ins that induce latency (lots of it) like Acustica Audio, UAD, etc. and automating said channels and making sure the automation works properly by ear, because what you see (for aforementioned channels with "heavy" plug ins), is not what you get in terms of audio.

Ways around it are aligning automation by ear, using time critical plugs, before plugs that induce a lot of latency, but sometimes you want to use a gate plug in that sync to project tempo, after a heavy plug in...and it sounds way off. So you need to print to audio and then do said processing.

Its not a deal breaker, but it is something that, imo needs to be addressed, especially since we are talking about the top selling(?) DAW, for the last few years.

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:35 am

nectarios wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:54 am
bobbylandry wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:49 pm
Using synced gate, ducking effects after plug ins that induce latency (lots of it) like Acustica Audio, UAD, etc. and automating said channels and making sure the automation works properly by ear, because what you see (for aforementioned channels with "heavy" plug ins), is not what you get in terms of audio.

Ways around it are aligning automation by ear, using time critical plugs, before plugs that induce a lot of latency, but sometimes you want to use a gate plug in that sync to project tempo, after a heavy plug in...and it sounds way off. So you need to print to audio and then do said processing.

Its not a deal breaker, but it is something that, imo needs to be addressed, especially since we are talking about the top selling(?) DAW, for the last few years.
Ah got it, I don't use their automation extensively, but automation not having latency compensation seems pretty major with how much they push their automation/modulation system.

Return to “Music Software”