Generic RAM, SD cards, or branded CPU's from China?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

vrl
Common Wiggler

Generic RAM, SD cards, or branded CPU's from China?

Post by vrl » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Been wondering about generic RAM... how wise or unwise would it be to invest in for longterm use and reliability, or for use in a dedicated music PC.

There are a lot of generic DDR2 sets available from china for low cost. Some specify "AMD only" and some seem to have brand name chips, though I suppose other parts of the RAM sticks could be lacking...

Any thoughts or experience on this?

edit:
Also wondering the same about CPU's (branded but from China) and SD memory cards.
Last edited by vrl on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:08 pm

I think RAM is cheap enough now that I never skimp on that when I build a PC. Corsair or Kingston is usually what I get. No idea where they're made, could be China for all I know, but I've never had any RAM related issues. I may have downgraded back when RAM was $1000 for a 32meg SIMM, but I think I spent $350 for 24 gigs last PC I built.

vrl
Common Wiggler

Post by vrl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 pm

DDR2 isnt at the moment, except for these, which makes me wonder, if anyone else has experienced any problem with them or knows of a reason why it may be a bad idea.

jmagin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jmagin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 pm

Having experienced how maddening and confusing memory errors can be, I'll never buy non-name-brand RAM. I actually replaced almost everything else in the PC over the course of several months before realizing that the RAM was the issue.

vrl
Common Wiggler

Post by vrl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 am

Yikes...

I wonder, if they are tested thoroughly with RAM testing software first, is it still (more) likely they could develop problems over time or not so likely if theyve tested stable?

Did you test that RAM thouroughly initially?

Some do have brand name (Samsung etc) chips apparently, but I dont know if there could be other important deficiencies in manufacture of the sticks... :despair:

jmagin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jmagin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:33 pm

vrl wrote:Yikes...

I wonder, if they are tested thoroughly with RAM testing software first, is it still (more) likely they could develop problems over time or not so likely if theyve tested stable?

Did you test that RAM thouroughly initially?

Some do have brand name (Samsung etc) chips apparently, but I dont know if there could be other important deficiencies in manufacture of the sticks... :despair:
I've been told (by people who know more than me) that testing memory effectively isn't really that simple. Some of the inconsistent results I've seen with memtest86+ seem to agree. And there's a lot of possibilities for counterfeit chips -- even if they work, they may be relabeled, removed from used/returned/discarded DIMMs, etc.

What was painful about my experience with bad ram was that it seemed to test okay, yet I'd get random disk corruption over time under Windows. Linux seemed to fair better, perhaps it was just putting important data in different parts of memory.

Stides
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stides » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:39 pm

I've been in IT for 20 years now, please don't save $5 on ram. Just go to crucial.com and buy what you need.

vrl
Common Wiggler

Post by vrl » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks, that helps...

The difference is more than $5 though and crucial.com doesnt have what I need... :sadbanana:

CalvaryBand
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CalvaryBand » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:39 pm

Don't do it. Second-hand RAM is not a bad option and considerably safer than off-brand stuff from China. Grab some off eBay, memtest, return if it doesn't pass. With DDR2 it is the logical choice.
Jordan Passmore -
ONInstagram / Live synth sessions.

vrl
Common Wiggler

Post by vrl » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone...

Anyone know if the same would apply to SD memory cards?

Been wondering if an SD card doesnt appear in Windows "My Computer" as a brand (Sandisk, Kingston) if that would mean for sure its a generic/fake?

vrl
Common Wiggler

Post by vrl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Ive decided against the generic RAM, based on a better understanding from what was clarified here...

Am wondering about low cost (ebay) CPU's from China though. :doh:
Hear me out... :hihi:
This is different in that they would have to be genuine in the sense that they were made by only AMD or Intel right? But would/could that mean they are likely factory discards, poor performers, mislabeled, or?

Any thoughts or experience with this?

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:30 pm

I live my life by one cardinal rule which I call the "Don't buy cheap toilet paper" rule. It should be pretty self-explanatory: there are places you can save money and places you really just can't.

I've been building computers for 23 years and for me, RAM and motherboard are both subject to that rule. Spend a little more for the good stuff. I promise you there is a difference. (Been there...)

5 years from now when your computer is still going strong like the day you built it, you'll thank yourself.

vrl
Common Wiggler

Post by vrl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:52 am

Thats my thinking generally but I like to understand why also.
With the CPU's that seems a bit different scenario and would be good to know more about because there could be others resold that originaly came from those sources...

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 pm

negativspace wrote:I live my life by one cardinal rule which I call the "Don't buy cheap toilet paper" rule. It should be pretty self-explanatory: there are places you can save money and places you really just can't.

I've been building computers for 23 years and for me, RAM and motherboard are both subject to that rule. Spend a little more for the good stuff. I promise you there is a difference. (Been there...)

5 years from now when your computer is still going strong like the day you built it, you'll thank yourself.
I definitely agree. It's why my for my LGA 775 DDR2 benching rig I have seven different sets of branded DIMMs and a few individuals. Crucial, Micron, Kingston HyperX, and several others all made some really good DDR2 back in the day.

Return to “Music Software”