Cool Shoes Sound Globs and Drummer (DOS)

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

sealion
Common Wiggler

Cool Shoes Sound Globs and Drummer (DOS)

Post by sealion » Mon May 02, 2016 12:27 am

This is a spot for any geeks like me who still run a DOS machine for this program. It grabs the CPU kernel and as far as I know no emulator will work with it, so DOS 6.2 it is. Sound Globs has a matrix that you mouse over to play. In it you have access to all midi channels, and a set of composition choices: how many notes at any specific moment, when a note/notes will play, scale, key, several modulation probabilities, and where the results are sent out to, plus pitch and LFO modulation algorithms. Its all about defining a range of possible events. In the truly over the top application of options with a DX-7 it got very close to granular synthesis even before that was invented.

The result when you load your Akai S-900 with saxophones and basses and strings is Frank Zappa-esque crazy madness. It is also setup for multiple players on different channels to control different parts of the composition variables live. It was used to generate the entire soundtrack of Wes Craven's Shocker. The author said no to my request he port this incredible software over, so sad.

I run a 286 just for this program and it can can crash an entire heavily midi'd studio. Huge fan. Have manual for last version.

He also wrote a dos program I am still looking for, Drummer. Comments welcome on that.

This will be a low volume thread I know, but I for one am waving the flag. Cool Shoes rocks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flimpiddle
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Cool Shoes Sound Globs and Drummer (DOS)

Post by Flimpiddle » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 am

Did you ever find a copy of Drummer? I have also been keeping a DOS machine alive since tha 90’s to continue to use Cool Shoes software— but I have Drummer 2.0 and only recently found out about Sound Globs (which is infinitely more Googlable than “Drummer software” or anything having to do with”cool shoes.”

But yes, CoolShoes does indeed rock!

darwingrosse
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Cool Shoes Sound Globs and Drummer (DOS)

Post by darwingrosse » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I too have been looking for Drummer for ages - to no avail. Maybe it's not as amazing as I'd remembered, but I'd like to find out for sure!
[ddg]

Art+Music+Technology podcast:
http://artmusictech.libsyn.com/

Modular Synth Mastery books:
http://20objects.com

Return to “Music Software”