Your favorite iOS synths.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 pm

andrewhuang wrote:+1 for Bebot.

DRC has a wide range of sounds and I really like the interface.

Audulus if you wanna go modular on iOS!
Sorry, what is DRC?
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

smithknows
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smithknows » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 pm

I have tons of them.
The one I’ve actually recorded the most... Animoog. By far.
All the Korg ones are great too.
And everything inside of Korg Gadget.
http://www.TheRealCharlieSmith.com/
http://www.StudioNels.com/
[bandcamp width=400 height=406 album=2472755640 size=large bgcol=333333 linkcol=fe7eaf artwork=small]

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 am

I use Beatwave a lot. I just realised that I’ve only released a snippet of a track though. Strange. That needs to change in 2018. :party:

Here it is:

[video][/video]
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am

rec.Koner wrote:
andrewhuang wrote:+1 for Bebot.

DRC has a wide range of sounds and I really like the interface.

Audulus if you wanna go modular on iOS!
Sorry, what is DRC?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drc-pol ... 55710?mt=8

People were in love with it for a few weeks, then Zeeon and Kauldron were released...

It never ends, this virtual analog arms race... ;)

iMonoPoly is currently my favorite gadget in Korg Gadget, as well as one of my fave VAs.. and also runs standalone. I ihink it's the first Korg app that can be loaded as AU too.

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

Oh, i frustrated many times how i against race and can use software on ios for 5 or more years.

though i had to have several devices with several OS :bang:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 pm

I've managed to say no to most of the newer VAs.

I made an exception for Kauldron because peeps were saying the arpeggiator and SPAWN features are really nice to use - well, just an incredible number and qualify of features packed into a synth that was on sale for $3 or something.

iMonoPoly was the other exception because I liked having an alternative to Odyssei as a VA choice inside of Gadget, plus it's Korg's first AU synth. AU is the future in IOS.

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 pm

i still hope to see arp 2600 in ios!

we got ivcs3, so i know miracles happen

:yay:

my page

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Behringer is supposedly working on clones of both the 2600 and the VCS3 ;)

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:07 am

Arp Odyssei - great sounds; very playable; pretty semi-generative possibilities with the right iOS sequencer
Moog 15 - great sounds; nicely modular; presets work brilliantly as bases for further explorations
iVSC3 - some amazing sounds, mostly by accident; I don't know enough about synth-working to get the best out of this yet; but months of fun ahead
Animoog - nice sounds, but not as usable for me as the above
Fieldscaper - more sound design and FX sandbox, but very useful for after-mix modulation

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 pm

I definitely like all the aforementioned synth apps, like Nave, Animoog and Model 15.

An amazing one that is rarely talked about it Cassini. I’ve programmed some really unique sounds with that one. The depth of modulation options per oscillator is unmatched on iOS. Three oscillators with FM, each with it’s own LFO and ENV, and even the LFOs even have their own envelopes! There are also two filters per voice, some randomizing features, programmable arpeggiator, and effects with two independent delays. If you’re looking for something deeeeeep, it’s the one for you.

Pase
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pase » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:49 am

Anything by Brambos.

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm

TC-11 for life.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tc-11/id488577050?mt=8

So many options for customization + fun interface to bonk n' swipe.

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:TC-11 for life.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tc-11/id488577050?mt=8

So many options for customization + fun interface to bonk n' swipe.
Wow. This looks amazing. Can it actually be “played” in a consistent, musical, repeatable manner or is is more just experimental? Th interface looks like a lot of fun.

Hardtex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hardtex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:25 pm

iMS-20 and the 'Putney' iVCS3 for now. A lot of fun with those though.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Beatmaker 3 is free during NAMM 2018.

Bit of a risky but bold move by Intua there. Risk pissing off the customers who paid, but possibly gain enough new ones to more than make up fo rit.

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:39 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:Beatmaker 3 is free during NAMM 2018.

Bit of a risky but bold move by Intua there. Risk pissing off the customers who paid, but possibly gain enough new ones to more than make up fo rit.
I think I’m one of those kinda pissed customers, especially considering it’s not usable for me yet in the way that I wanted to use it. It does not record incoming CC messages. So kinda useless for the way I record midi parts from external synths while turning knobs. You can use macro assignments but each parameter has to be setup beforehand and that sucks. It might get sorted though, which would be great cause its sampling and beatmaking abilities are pretty sweet for an iOS app.

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm

I have tried a whole bunch of ios synths but finally came to the realization that I really don’t like turning virtual knobs on a touchscreen. So these days I only open up synths on the iPad if the interface adds something unique.

My latest find is KQ Dixie which is a perfect DX7 clone. Having all the operators on a single page and being able to touch the envelopes really makes me want to program it. Another synth I spent a lot of time on before that was the Korg iWavestation. Again, the touchscreen works wonders for editing those wave sequences. Model 15, which others have also mentioned, is probably the best sounding synth on the iPad, or even in the VST world. Heard through a quality audio interface and proper studio monitors, it is hard to believe it is not analog. It is fiddly to patch unfortunately. But I am happy just playing the presets.

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 pm

soundshaper wrote: Can it actually be “played” in a consistent, musical, repeatable manner
Yes!

Parhelic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Parhelic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Virsyn Addictive Pro is a great additive synth. Easy to use with some useful randomisation.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm

I love iDensity.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Sketcherazzi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sketcherazzi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Ripplemaker - like a 0-Coast in your pocket, daily addiction for over a year now
Synthscaper - instant space sounds, the new random feature is addicting
Soundscaper - total mayhem, diving into chaos
iVCS3 - love the history behind this one, it stumped me at first
Model 15 - the Ribbon controller really uses touchscreens well

Kosmonaut - more genius from Bram Bos; I like setting tape delay to help blend preset changes
Fieldscaper - really rich ways to distort and manipulate sounds, the looper layout allows for quickly changing presets.
Spacecraft - also great for spacey granular sounds, though I seem to get the best results with the author's own preset sound files

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Your favorite iOS synths.

Post by Wavy Davy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm

TC-11 is by far my favorite synth app on iOS, and I have a lot of em.
Nothing comes close, and in fact it is in a class by itself.

I have had it for a few months, and the more I play with it the better I like it.
Here is a link to the developers web site.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/

The presets cover a very wide range of sound types, from Buchla, and Serge type sounds, to lush pads, percussive sounds, evolving sounds, sequences, arpeggiations, traditional VA synth sounds, west coast to east coast, and everything in between.
Also great movement in the stereo field.

The important thing to know, is how you can change (modulate) those sounds while you are playing them, and how the patches take great advantage of the many ways to do that, using all the potential of the iPad/iPod/iPhone.

Multitouch, one or more fingers on the iPad, how fast you move your finger(s) across the surface, the distance from the previous touch, where you touch, which direction you slide your finger(s), how much area of finger you put down, motion of the iPad, and so much more, is used to modulate different aspects of the sound.
It is literally in a class by itself.

I like the large number of well made presets so much, it took me a while before I read the owners manual, to see how it works, and learn more about the interface., and the synth engine behind it.
Once again, my mind was blown by how it works, and what is possible with it.
The synth engine is designed from the ground up, to take full advantage of the iPad's Multitouch and motion sensing.
The best I have seen on iOS devices, and nothing like synths that try to imitate traditional hardware synths.

Click on the link to download the owners manual.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst...-guide-2.0.pdf

Because you don't have to look at it, to play it, I found myself walking through the woods with my iPod touch and headphones, creating lush soundscapes, with one or two hands.
Like no synth experience I've ever had before.

Playing it on my iPad Pro 12.9" is crazy cool too.
Best of all is having it loaded on all three of my i devices, iPad Air 1st gen, iPad Pro 2nd gen, and iPod Touch 5th gen, and having a jam session.

Because it's so portable, I can play at home through my PA speakers, walking around, or on a park bench with the built in speakers, Bluetooth speakers, or headphones.

If you want to try a free version, before buying the full version, check out TC-Performer.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst.../tc-performer/

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:56 pm

I am all for these iOS synthesizers. But what are you guys using to record them with? Garage band?
Anything out there that can record midi without being a major pain in the ass?

Maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing but I’ve been able to record some things into GarageBand the midi I mean like the Moog Model D but the Synth One I can only get to record audio not midi in GarageBand.

Is the iOS app by CueBase decent?

I would buy many iOS synths, but I would just like to be able to edit and then export into my DAW later.

Or are these just like video games just something to goof around on in the moment and that’s it?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Toowoombaus wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:56 pm
Is the iOS app by CueBase decent?
Cubasis is pretty good, if you’re okay with every measure in your piece being 4/4 and never changing tempo. It’s a huge handicap, rendering it mostly unusable for me.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks for the endorsement. I can deal with 4/4 right now. Yeah I think I’ll get that.
I guess I couldn’t really see the value in using an iOS synth if I didn’t at least have a rudimentary scratchpad to record ideas with.
Thanks again!

Return to “Music Software”