farewell apple and windows

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Tobor
Tardis Chauffeur

farewell apple and windows

Post by Tobor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:42 am

now that we have wonderful sbc computers like UdooX86 and Udoo Bolt, I'm back at linux (ubuntustudio) and leaving once and for all the apple inferno.
This was entirely made on Linux with a portable Single Board Computer... I have all I need: PureData, Csound, Ardour, Processing, Python, Arduino, Sonic Visualiser... total cost of the computer: 170$, with opensource software.

:omg: :75: :deadbanana:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm

care to share some more details about your set up and any issues w/set up etc?

at some point we all may be in the same boat.

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 am

I had been looking into Pure Data on my Raspberry Pi and never got it fully working (my fault not putting in the time, nothing to do with the tools). Cool tracks, would also be into more detailed info on the setup.

nbirnel
Common Wiggler

Post by nbirnel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 am

How do single board computers make the difference?

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:33 am

nbirnel wrote:How do single board computers make the difference?
They're cheap?

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Cheap to buy/replace. Readily available. Lots of harware hackers use them so theres a huge amount of information out there for an array of uses. Uses open source operating systems, so theres less concern over what WinApple is going to do to you in an "update". Low power consumption==less heat, small form factor==less space consumed.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Re: farewell apple and windows

Post by solaris » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 am

Tobor wrote:now that we have wonderful sbc computers like UdooX86 and Udoo Bolt, I'm back at linux (ubuntustudio) and leaving once and for all the apple inferno.
This was entirely made on Linux with a portable Single Board Computer... I have all I need: PureData, Csound, Ardour, Processing, Python, Arduino, Sonic Visualiser... total cost of the computer: 170$, with opensource software.
tempting but unless I am mistaken you can't use an external USB/FW/TB audio interface like digidesign, rme or metric halo (the ones I need to use).
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

nbirnel
Common Wiggler

Post by nbirnel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 pm

kcd06 wrote:
Cheap to buy/replace. Readily available. Lots of harware hackers use them so theres a huge amount of information out there for an array of uses. Uses open source operating systems, so theres less concern over what WinApple is going to do to you in an "update". Low power consumption==less heat, small form factor==less space consumed.
Yes, that's appealing. I don't understand how that is what makes the OP switch to Linux. I use Linux because I like it. I am not arguing, just curious what the thought process is here.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 am

I'd love to GTFO of Apple and Windows but I prefer making music than geeking out dealing with github, reading changelogs and working with software designed by committee... and trying to find drivers for my audio & MIDI interfaces, and waiting for some wrapper to appear so I can try to use VST plugins....

portabello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by portabello » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:20 pm

I've been using linux (arch) as my main music making OS for several years and never really have had much of a desire to go back to windows. It is a bit lacking in DAW and VST selection but Renoise and Bitwig (and Reaper?) have native linux versions and u-he has linux builds of most of their plugins.

Linux really excels at complicated multi-application audio routing. Most of the time I'm running some combination of Renoise, Pure Data, and Ardour and a handful of plugins all passing MIDI and audio around using JACK.

Pretty much all the software I want to use is in either my distro's package repo. The only time I ever have any trouble getting stuff working is when I need to build it myself and that is a pretty rare occurrence. Even then, it seems much more straightforward to build something in linux than in windows.

Hardware compatibility might be a bit of an issue, but most of the USB stuff I've used has been handled pretty well by built in drivers/modules. This might be a bit more of a problem for distros that use older kernel versions?

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 pm

linux with bitwig/renoise here. loving it!

Jack is amazing.

Vst's are a bit of a problem, but with airwave and wine about 70% of plugins I've tried have worked.

The hassle is WELL WORTH saying FU to apples and windoze :sb:

beaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by beaver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 am

Moved to Ubuntu Studio since 2010, + Tascam US-20x20 as main audio interface since 2017 (USB compliant, so no problems with drivers/compatibility/etc) - and seem to be happy with that.

JACK is great for audio&midi routing, Ardour is great DAW (at least for me), Calf are great plugins, and kdenlive is not bad for most of my video needs. VSTs never was an issue (for me), because I never need a lot of plugins.

ripcord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ripcord » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:19 am

A benefit from SBCs is that one can start envisioning using multiples rather than a monolithic laptop/desktop. One device as an effects box, one device as a sampler etc. If each has the 'right' form-factor and UI it could make for a better experience.

There's still the hurdle of getting them all up and running and keeping them patched etc but this is getting easier with online SD-card image generators.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am

Apple has been going downhill so bad in the past 5 years for pros... Sure they are making $$$$$ but for professional musicians, graphic artists, etc... their stuff just gets less and less attractive, and more expensive.

OK, rant over.

I need to look into a Linux box.

bryz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bryz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm

I think Apple's still doing an okay job, but maybe I'm not neck-deep enough in any particular field to know any better.

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 pm

I have an Adobe cloud sub provided by my employer. But I've been looking into open source alternatives to use at home. And I have to say they are looking pretty good - GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, Synfig studio, Blender

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:20 pm

GIMP's functionality is pretty aces, but unfortunately the UI absolutely sucks. Same thing appears to be true for Blender, though I haven't made a serious attempt to work with it myself.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm

commodorejohn wrote:GIMP's functionality is pretty aces, but unfortunately the UI absolutely sucks. Same thing appears to be true for Blender, though I haven't made a serious attempt to work with it myself.
I haven't tried any of them seriously yet. How about Krita?

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 pm

I haven't tried Krita because it's a KDE project, which means it inevitably pulls in six billion dependencies with no conceivable relation to the actual function of the program. That said, what I've seen of it looks fairly reasonable.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “Music Software”