3rd party step sequencers that play well with Push 2?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

3rd party step sequencers that play well with Push 2?

Post by bradpickapiper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:20 pm

I would love to be able change the note within a sequence with a knob instead of scrolling around to find the pad I want.
my understanding is that this is not possible, but are there custom mappings that make it so? or third party sequencers that will integrate deeply with push that will allow me to do this?

would love to be able to use the sequencer like beatstep or other knobby sequencers. i find using a knob quicker to change the note of a step, then finding the note within a sea of pads.

thanks!

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:37 am

I would very much like that too!

I cannot for the life of me understand why Ableton do not add a "note" control (conforming to chosen scale) on the nearly empty screen that comes up when you hold down a step. They must have seen how step sequencers usually work!

Not being able to quickly change the pitch of a step in the Push sucks and the original "piano roll" step sequencer is particularly useless as it lacks the "fold notes" present in Live's clip editor. The new 32 notes+ 32 steps sequencer is finally something worth using but still needs a "note" knob... As it is , to change a note you have to erase that step, choose a new note and then add the step back in... but you also have to re-add any gate and offset values you had applied to the original step. :doh:

Not being able to copy/paste steps on the Push is another shit deal.

I recently tried "Frogger" By Isotonik and that adds an interesting step sequencer to the Push...you can change notes with an encoder... needs a little work but is worth having a look at. It's the only Push enhancement I have tried that works without glitches. I tried some of the (overly complex) Native Kontrol stuff but it didn't play nice with the Push- the pads would not update when you selected another track. This issue seems to be there with all User mode scripts that I tried. The Frogger device works in Push's native Live mode as a Max for Live device.

lysander
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lysander » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I agree the standard step sequencer is pretty underwhelming.
Frogger looks like clone of Intelijel Metropolis,that's pretty cool I wanted to program that at some point but never found the time.

Five12 numerology has some push support but it's not great, the screen is barely used.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:56 pm

lysander wrote: I wanted to program that at some point but never found the time.
Can you make Max devices that work with Push like that? I have a few ideas !

lysander
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lysander » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Not max specifically, I don’t like programming with graph languages.
I had started building a VST sequencer in C++ for push years ago but abandoned it due to lack of time.
I do have plans to do something with push2 and VCV rack though, but there’s a few modules I want to code first.

Benj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benj » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:17 am

Tricky traps by sonic faction look interesting

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:01 pm

8 steps is a bit limiting.
Doesn’t seem to be a straight up sequencer that I can find that has 32-64 steps and utilizes Push well. There are some weirder ones that are cool for sure but not what I’m looking for.
Dang! I sent in the feature request to Ableton but doubt that’ll do anything.

If anyone else has any suggestions, would love to hear them!

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:40 am

You can have more than 8 steps with Frogger.

Ableton have gotten too big and are focused on audio stuff, step sequencers don't seem to be on their to-do list. The Ableton beta tester "suggestions" forum is flooded with all sorts of requests that they aren't likely to get round to even looking at.
I had started building a VST sequencer in C++ for push years ago but abandoned it due to lack of time.
Ah, if there's anything we can do to help let us know! It would be good to just enhance the existing Push sequencer so it runs natively but I don't know if that's possible. Seems that Ableton have the native Live mode on Push locked down.
I keep thinking about a 4-track step sequencer, using the 64 pads to show 4 lanes of 16 steps each, for simultaneously editing 4 clips... That would make it a breeze to get some scenes going.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Panason wrote:You can have more than 8 steps with Frogger.
What’s the limit of steps?

From what I can see, it only does 8, but you can repeat some steps.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Ah yes, sorry, it is 8 steps but each step can be of different length. It would be cool if there was an option for the repeats to play other notes.

This one isn't made for the Push but looks cool
http://maxforlive.com/library/device/28 ... -sequencer

but it has gone the way of many plugins... borked by host software update.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am

any other sequencer recommendations?

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 pm

I think all the Isotonik Arcade sequencers are fantastic!

Return to “Music Software”