Classic software lost to the ether of new computing

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:24 pm

glissant wrote:I had some sweet apps from TC Works that I used a lot way back in the early 2000s. Spark and some reverb thing. It was a long time before I found a reverb I liked as much, and Spark was really handy for mastering my CD-rs.
That reverb.... :waah:
It was so intuitive to use. Best intetrface ever. Not the best reverb, of course, but that interface....

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:59 pm

eboats
Common Wiggler

Post by eboats » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 am

gruebleengourd wrote:
seychmar wrote: And the absolute gem: Dr T KCS with Programmable Variations Generator and Tunesmith (Atari ST) - no modern equivalent anywhere near what these can do with MIDI.
Since a couple of people have mentioned Dr T's KCS ... I agree fully.

So much so that I've written a modern version for Windows with the good Dr's blessing and reference code.

I'll aiming for beta testing in about a month, so if anybody is a KCS head, using windows, and would like to give some feedback let me know.
I've heard about KCS and was always curious to give it a go. A windows version would be great so best of luck and looking forward to when it's available.

joeTron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeTron » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Sibelius 3,4 and 5. My heart breaks thinking about it. Forget running any of that with High Sierra or Mojave or whatever the hell I got, I forgot.

joeTron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeTron » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:47 pm

This is hilarious if you have the time. Classic example of big corporations screwing things up.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:52 pm

joeTron wrote:This is hilarious if you have the time. Classic example of big corporations screwing things up.

Oh no... that's bad.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Logic on Windows, back before Cubase made SX 2 and stomped the pants off it - luckily right as emagic sold out to Apple.
Last edited by tehyar on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 am

Buckage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buckage » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 am

I miss the Cycling 74 Pluggo plugins. A very creative bundle and every month they'd release a new one.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: Classic software lost to the ether of new computing

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 am

stevesmith24644 wrote:Thanks for sharing!
joey wrote:Hey everyone!

Picked up a Nord G1 recently and have been enjoying the editor on my current computer. It's not without it's flaws though as the editor crashes sometimes.

Lately, the thought has come up to buy an old PC or Mac and run the editor there as well as some other stuff.

so,

What cool software runs on old machines that simply isn't available anymore?

things that come to mind -

Sound Diver
Turbosynth

i heard of something called th0nk too

what do you guys miss? really curious, and also curious where I would find some of this software once I get an old machine

MaryWard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MaryWard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:... The Nord Modular editor runs on Windows up to and including Win version 10.

:tu:
If it is anything like this, I am very worried about the quality of the process here. As it can be too complicated furthermore.

dpcoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by dpcoffin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:28 pm

gruebleengourd wrote:
seychmar wrote: And the absolute gem: Dr T KCS with Programmable Variations Generator and Tunesmith (Atari ST) - no modern equivalent anywhere near what these can do with MIDI.
Since a couple of people have mentioned Dr T's KCS ... I agree fully.

So much so that I've written a modern version for Windows with the good Dr's blessing and reference code.

I'll aiming for beta testing in about a month, so if anybody is a KCS head, using windows, and would like to give some feedback let me know.
Ditto on all the Yikes! Never owned a PC, but this might well be the temptor that does it. Got a link yet to any more details?

I'm assuming that it wouldn't take much in the way of a Windows-running processor to be a dedicated MIDI source for my existing Mac-based Universe, running pretty much only your new version, something like a very low-end but modern PC laptop, maybe?
Thanks!

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 pm

dpcoffin wrote: I'm assuming that it wouldn't take much in the way of a Windows-running processor to be a dedicated MIDI source for my existing Mac-based Universe, running pretty much only your new version, something like a very low-end but modern PC laptop, maybe?
Thanks!
I am aiming for a beta release, surely before the end of the year, hopefully a good deal sooner. All the basics are there now, refining some GUI and building up a few more environments.

About the power requirements... I have not gone 'lite' with the design. I've tried to make everything as real time as possible and it's actually pretty hungry for threads. I'd recommend at least a 4 core processor and an nvidia gpu (both for the graphics and for compute). The gpu is not essential for just midi, but the program does far more than that.

Pretty much I've taken as a base KCS and extended it in every way I could, while allowing one to use it in the same fashion as KCS.

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 am

Really looking forward to this! KCS Omega is still the holy grail of MIDI sequencers. Even individual pages like the Fill and Groove functions could be programs in their own right. Will you be including the PVG and Open Mode? If so, the only improvement I could suggest would be to make it possible to trigger Open Mode sequences via MIDI notes.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 am

seychmar wrote:Will you be including the PVG and Open Mode?
Yes and yes.
seychmar wrote: If so, the only improvement I could suggest would be to make it possible to trigger Open Mode sequences via MIDI notes.
This is possible.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:28 am

by the way.

good news: i just managed to set up MIDI data exchange between physical controller (Launchpad) and ancient Windows (like 98 or ME) guest in Virtualbox…

not so good (for you, except very few people) news: … but i am on Linux :razz: and my solution involves Linux-specific software

dpcoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by dpcoffin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:19 pm

gruebleengourd wrote:
dpcoffin wrote: I'm assuming that it wouldn't take much in the way of a Windows-running processor to be a dedicated MIDI source for my existing Mac-based Universe, running pretty much only your new version, something like a very low-end but modern PC laptop, maybe?
Thanks!

About the power requirements... I have not gone 'lite' with the design. I've tried to make everything as real time as possible and it's actually pretty hungry for threads. I'd recommend at least a 4 core processor and an nvidia gpu (both for the graphics and for compute). The gpu is not essential for just midi, but the program does far more than that.

Pretty much I've taken as a base KCS and extended it in every way I could, while allowing one to use it in the same fashion as KCS.
Great, thanks for the detail—following with great interest:)

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 pm

mda JX10
mda DX10, those are actually compiled in 64 bit OS X. They have such a raw edge with minimal parameters, love it.

Native instruments emulation of the prophet 5

And there is a software program which I wanted to have since I saw it on Cenk - aka dataline from elektronin one of his youtube vids, basically he used a amiga or something where he used a 303 emulation, which sounded really good imo. Can not come up with relevant info on this plugi though. Perhaps someone can chime on this.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:26 pm

alexander92 wrote:mda JX10
mda DX10, those are actually compiled in 64 bit OS X.
I got the windows 32 bit DLL converted to 64 with Jbridge to work in Ableton, but there with no GUI. I'm not sure that Ableton can handle generic VST gui. I will try in cubase.

They do sound decent for freebies.

lewisRush
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lewisRush » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 am

I'm currently using Atari 1040 and Notator/Creator.
Dying to try Tunesmith or any of the algorythmic software from http://www.atari-music.fddvoron.name/timidi.htm but I've seen nothing the 'Bay for a long time :waah:

Was hoping to transfer using my ultrasatan but I cant get my head around creating a SD card that's readable between my ST and macbook

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:19 am

gruebleengourd wrote:
alexander92 wrote:mda JX10
mda DX10, those are actually compiled in 64 bit OS X.
I got the windows 32 bit DLL converted to 64 with Jbridge to work in Ableton, but there with no GUI. I'm not sure that Ableton can handle generic VST gui. I will try in cubase.

They do sound decent for freebies.
They do have a 64 bit version for Windows my best man :guinness:
64 bit mda
I'm not sure about their gui either, never saw one, but not bothered about it tbh.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:23 am

joeTron wrote:This is hilarious if you have the time. Classic example of big corporations screwing things up.

as an ex designer I find that hilarious and also reminiscent of my experience with Un-Ableton Live.... where's the channel input gain trimmer? ah , yes of course, that's "Utility" and you have to manually add it to each channel.. of course!

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:42 am

Panason wrote:

as an ex designer I find that hilarious and also reminiscent of my experience with Un-Ableton Live.... where's the channel input gain trimmer? ah , yes of course, that's "Utility" and you have to manually add it to each channel.. of course!
Hehe yes, I kinda new that Utility trick as wel, but never done it. Tried to Un-Abletise my self for a while now to, not going so well. Out of curiousity, which daw you use now?

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 pm

Ha, someone else mentioned Metro up-thread... I'm still using it, and it's still available from Sagan Tech.

My biggest gripe right now is that I'm having to keep an old G4 tower going in order to interface with my V-Synth. Why oh why couldn't Roland have made it class compliant?
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:17 pm

cornutt wrote:having to keep an old G4 tower going
Same but an Oasys PCI

Return to “Music Software”