Recording Modular Music: How do you do it?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

spew_boi
Learning to Wiggle

Recording Modular Music: How do you do it?

Post by spew_boi » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 am

What's everyones process of recording modular music?

What DAW, post processing, automation, plugins, interfaces do we use for the best result of music thats a single stereo instrument?
I sold my drums and three guitars just to twiddle with knobs..

snadge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snadge » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 am

8* VCA > MOTU 2408 > Reaper.

Computer has 3 * TC Electronic Powercore cards with most plugins activated.

Pro's : some of the best reverbs and delays etc available even today, Access Virus up to 12 instances with each instance having 4 parts(lol). MD3 finaliser from TC6000

Con's : Abandonware, unable to transfer licences to any other hardware so licences stuck on PCI card even though I own a PCIe card, so stuck on using a 1155 chipset.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 am

I use Presonus Studio One Pro 4.5.

For strictly modular compositions, I record multiple linear tracks of my modular playing self-running patches. I then cut and edit those raw tracks into a composition using volume automation mostly to bring parts in and out of the mix.

I tend not to use any sync because this produces a more organic sounding track. Though I use MIDI-CV if I am integrating my modular with other instruments and tracks that are aligned to track timing.

Sometimes I do almost no post-processing to the tracks, and other times I might do heavy post-processing.

I usually use an SSL-type bus compressor on my main output and add just a hint of room reverb to the entire mix so it all sounds like it is occurring in the same acoustic space.

Here are a couple of examples of my methods. The first track has no-post-processing of the tracks except for volume automation. The second track has heavy post-processing:

http://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/m-canique-quantique

http://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/zipped-up-along

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:58 pm

mritenburg wrote: Here are a couple of examples of my methods.
Great feedback ! very welcome !
need to give it later a listen though.

i *totally* struggle myself.
I used my MPC1K over many years to record anything. mostly modular.
plus cutting samples in there.
Though the audio quality, depending on the frequenzys, is to question.

today i record into wavelab on my mac mini. stereo.
thats it.......
.....can´t gel with working then further in the DAW...... :waah:

while any other type of technologie feels to restricted.......or the handling to outdated.
...there´s a leap to take for me, for shure.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Output of modular to a mixer. A touch of reverb then to Digital Performer. No other processing or editing other that trim the beginning and end of the track. I like to record live and not mess with it. Works for me.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:13 pm

I have the WMD Performance Mixer with the DB25 expander. I take all my audio out through two DB25 cable snakes and straight into my audio interface to record in Ableton. I also keep my modular clocked from Ableton via the Expert Sleepers ES-3 so that everything remains in sync. Works like a charm.

artieTwelve
Common Wiggler

Post by artieTwelve » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm

My Rack -> ES-8 -> Bitwig
Or
VCVRack -> ES-8 -> Bitwig

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Great 'example' tracks, mritenburg! Enjoyed those.

I definitely don't treat the modular as a 'single stereo instrument,' particularly as I have a couple of decently large systems in different formats as well as other synths to draw from and patch between. I will record a live stereo mix, and sometimes that vibe wins, but I also pull out as many individual tracks as I can for mixing and processing in Logic. Volume and pan automation and processing with Logic plug-ins. I also have a couple of Joemeek compressor/eq's that I use either to mangle individual tracks before recording or sometimes for light processing of a stereo mix to make it feel more cohesive, since I don't have any cool outboard gear for this purpose.

Mainly all the tools I use are stock Logic products.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Modular to QU24 to Logic Pro
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Audacity, WinJammer Pro, and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. One track at a time...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Darfiss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Darfiss » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:54 am

I usually dont record.

I use my Neutron for installations and have it running during the whole exhibition, randomly modulating itself with the Sample and Hold ...

But sometimes when i ''find'' an interesting sound, i directly plug it in my AU and record and cut using FL Studio.

When i feel fancy i use a BEQ700 Equalizer in the signalpath.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:01 am

you can use any DAW. I think maybe there is a lot more to talk about if you want to get into the details. what do we use to mix and master a modular live performance? answer: protools. what do I use to chop up audio and build sample packs? any DAW. what do I use to build loops and arrange songs? answer: ableton.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Usually 1-4 voices to separate inputs on my Behringer interface into Reaper. Most of my go to plugins are Variety of Sound, sadly Windows and 32bit only.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 pm

It depends. When it comes to modular jams, I often mix everything to stereo and record either to a DAW (currently iMac with Studio One Artist) or to a hardware recorded (Tascam DP-24 or Zoom R24). Sometimes I'm not so lazy and record to multiple tracks, and then perform some rudimentary mixing on the DAW/recorder.

Other times, I record one track at a time, often incorporating other instruments. Most of my music is sequencer-based so I usually have to sync the modular to the DAW/recorder. In these cases, I use my FutureRetro Mobius to provide an analog clock from the MIDI clock that comes from the DAW or the DP-24.

Return to “Music Software”