AIRA modular doesn't work with iOS 13. Roland doesn't care.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Marizu
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Marizu » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 am

Yes Powder wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 pm
That sucks, but this isn't new behavior for Roland- or the industry in general. :despair:
This is exactly why you should never trust hardware that has a software element to it.
And if you ever must get a piece of gear that relies on software running on another device, plan on never upgrading that device again.
This is very true. Roland, in particular seem to be notorious for doing very little in the way of updates to existing product lines. They clearly maintain the culture of their hardware manufacturing roots.

This is the main reason that favour hardware. It doesn't arbitraily stop working. I can switch on my Korg Prophecy and it works as well as it did in 1995.

There are some products that I am using, including AIRA Modular, that are hybrid but as a general rule, I avoid them.

Open sourcing of code is not always possible, for many reasons. Commercial reasons have been hinted at, but there are also licensing issues. When Sony originally killed AIBO, people wanted them to open the codebase. I met one of the developers who said that this wasn't possible because of licensed components that they had used.

Re-compiling aged code is problematic and most musicians won't do it, but somebody might if it becomes annoying enough for them.

The OP may be able to get the Aira Modular editor working by buying an old Android tablet to dedicate to it. You can also sample the messages that come out of the headphone jack to store known patches. You can play them back from with any sample player.

In the case of the AIRA modular editor, I don't think that commercial considerations would be holding back release of the software. I doubt that the editor contains DSP secrets, it just sends re-configuration information. It wouldn't surprise me if it does this over MIDI, as the device implements USB MIDI Control channels (but it's not class compliant, so it still remains dependent upon the drivers).

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Re: AIRA modular doesn't work with iOS 13. Roland doesn't care.

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:28 pm

hamildad wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am
OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:55 am
I think it’s naive to think any piece of software will still work X years from now.

Despite their boutique line, Roland are far from being boutique, they should fix this. You can still buy these modules new FFS :despair:
They were discontinued 3 years ago....
Then shame on Roland for discontinuing them 18months after launch. I wouldn't be happy to buy something to find it's not supported within such a short timeframe.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 pm

the AIRA modulars are heartbreakingly close to being amazing pieces of gear. really gutsy thing to release especially at the time, a hardware VCV rack basically, plus a DC coupled interface. they just use too much power and roland went through two release cycles then stopped supporting them for no apparent reason. and yeah it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their other software reliant gear.

i recently upgraded then downgraded my mac OS (mojave -> catalina -> mojave) because it stopped working with another roland audio interface. not the whole thing mind you, just the MIDI. yaknow that new and complex software protocol.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 pm

hell, Nord announced an OSX editor for the Nord Modular, I bought one based on that. then they just stopped updates.
Much worse than Roland.
Yamaha has done the same with the DX200, AN200, and Magicstomp. Digitech Xstomp
I'm sure there are many others.
Thus far, Nord is the most egregious.
Updating for iOS seems stupid, and that is on Apple, they force you to buy a new machine every couple years, they won't allow developers to even make it work with older versions. So, if Roland did update Aira, with FIXES and/or simple features, Apple won't let them supply that update to an older ios machine. Buy a new machine to use Roland's basic update?
So a fully capable machine for editing is now junk, thanks Apple.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: AIRA modular doesn't work with iOS 13. Roland doesn't ca

Post by SynthBaron » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm

arthurdent wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm
A lot of this type of stuff is Apple's fault. They change/update/modify their operating systems so frequently now that other companies can't (i.e., don't have the resources) or don't want to bother with updating - and then testing/verifying - their drivers/firmware every 6-12 months. I run both Apple and Windows computers at home, have had this conversation with a number of vendors over the last few years. Things went to hell at Apple when Jobs died and Tim Cook took over.
I gave up trying to use a Mac for audio a couple years ago. Older software would just get obsoleted so quickly by the yearly OS update. Windows now maintains compatibility with stuff so much better. I really don't understand Apple's mindset either.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 pm

SynthBaron wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm
I gave up trying to use a Mac for audio a couple years ago. Older software would just get obsoleted so quickly by the yearly OS update. Windows now maintains compatibility with stuff so much better. I really don't understand Apple's mindset either.
yes, it's tough to switch, but Apple is just getting stupid with this.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:21 am

thetwlo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:47 pm
SynthBaron wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm
yes, it's tough to switch, but Apple is just getting stupid with this.
I started using macs because my PCs were getting old and new PCs came with Win8, which was complete crap, so I decided to try something else. At the same time, I was getting tired of DAWs and decided to go with hardware recording. After using macs almost exclusively for 7 or 8 years, I needed a new laptop and decided to buy one with Windows 10. I got nostalgic and thought I would try installing my old audio software instead of getting new software. I didn't expect much but it turns out most of it works right away! All of this software is between 10 and 15 years old, and some companies don't even exist anymore (Cakewalk, VAZ), others still exist but the stuff I bought from them has been discontinued since who knows when and it doesn't even appear in the company's website. One thing that helped a lot is that most of this software does not rely on online activation schemes; you only need the serial number. I still use macs at the job but for me they haven't worked that well for making music.

Return to “Music Software”