iTunes replacement for Mac

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Mac users going to PC for their main machine should think about building their computer, these days you save so much money doing it and anyone who can rack a module can assemble a PC. obviously you might need a laptop.

Dont feel bad if youre feeling like that. My family all Mac users started with the apple ii and always used them. In 2006 i switched to pc but kept apple everything else. My mom switched to a windows 10 laptop earlier this year after asking about mine a bunch and she also keeps an ipad and iphone around but it is not difficult to work a windows PC into an apple ecosystem to be honest.
I started with PC's in the early '90's, first computer ran MS-DOS and Windows 3.0. I didn't switch to Macs until around '04 but I continued to use PC's 'cause we used Windows at work. Also another hobby of mine is astronomy and most telescope control and image processing software runs in Windows. Three of my Macs run Windows through Bootcamp so that I can "work both sides of the street". My problem with switching to a straight Windows machine now is that a lot of my PC software is older stuff; I've been able to get it to run in Win7 but some of it will not tolerate Win10 and I'm too cheap to buy newer stuff. Plus I don't like Win10 - of course I don't like the newer Mac OS's either, for day-to-day stuff I still use Mountain Lion. I looked into building a Win7 machine last Spring but the guy at the computer store looked at me like I was some kind of alien when I asked for Win7 motherboards and other hardware.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:49 pm

arthurdent wrote: I started with PC's in the early '90's, first computer ran MS-DOS and Windows 3.0. I didn't switch to Macs until around '04 but I continued to use PC's 'cause we used Windows at work. Also another hobby of mine is astronomy and most telescope control and image processing software runs in Windows. Three of my Macs run Windows through Bootcamp so that I can "work both sides of the street". My problem with switching to a straight Windows machine now is that a lot of my PC software is older stuff; I've been able to get it to run in Win7 but some of it will not tolerate Win10 and I'm too cheap to buy newer stuff. Plus I don't like Win10 - of course I don't like the newer Mac OS's either, for day-to-day stuff I still use Mountain Lion. I looked into building a Win7 machine last Spring but the guy at the computer store looked at me like I was some kind of alien when I asked for Win7 motherboards and other hardware.
If you want a pretty killer Windows 7 era machine made for it, just buy an old 2010/2012 Mac Pro heh. You can still use the old Bootcamp 5.1 to get all the drivers for it if it doesn't just work out of the box by now, and it runs great. I killed my Bootcamp partition when I moved my main drive to an SSD earlier this year but I still use it in VirtualBox and the hit it takes from being 'virtualized' is nothing for what I use it for. 8.1 was pretty decent too but I never did get to try my free upgrade to 10 on it. I couldn't get it installed using an MBR partition without going all the way back to my Windows 8 Pro disc, then updating to 8.1, THEN finally updating to 10 (this was not fun swapping my Windows 8->Windows 10 upgrade license back and forth either). The Windows 10 download only boots via EFI, which means once you boot out of it, no worky anymore and getting back into MacOS means you better have a stock graphics card in it so you can use the Option key heh.

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:51 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Mac users going to PC for their main machine should think about building their computer, these days you save so much money doing it and anyone who can rack a module can assemble a PC. obviously you might need a laptop.

Dont feel bad if youre feeling like that. My family all Mac users started with the apple ii and always used them. In 2006 i switched to pc but kept apple everything else. My mom switched to a windows 10 laptop earlier this year after asking about mine a bunch and she also keeps an ipad and iphone around but it is not difficult to work a windows PC into an apple ecosystem to be honest.
Agree that Mac users should consider to build their own PC. It is money well spent. I've started with PC, hated it, got myself a macbook pro early 2010 and was instantly hooked on apple. That computer was the bomb. At that time, apple really was great. Everything worked, everything made sense and it was really user friendly. It actually felt like it was worth the money. I even got an iphone 2014.

Since then though, I feel that apple has gone from great, to good, to OK, to bad, to worse and now I have no faith in their products what so ever. As of such, I bought a big ass PC 2017, only to make music on. For that purpose, that computer is the best investment ever. It is super fast, everything runs smooth (except videos if I do a little youtubing hehe) and I am very pleased.

On a side note, my Macbook is still running. Soon it is ten years! That computer is great, but I have a huge fear that it will die anytime soon. Then I have to get a new Laptop and I have no idea what to get these days, since I will never buy apple products again.. but that is another story

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:13 am

Monotremata wrote:
arthurdent wrote: I started with PC's in the early '90's, first computer ran MS-DOS and Windows 3.0. I didn't switch to Macs until around '04 but I continued to use PC's 'cause we used Windows at work. Also another hobby of mine is astronomy and most telescope control and image processing software runs in Windows. Three of my Macs run Windows through Bootcamp so that I can "work both sides of the street". My problem with switching to a straight Windows machine now is that a lot of my PC software is older stuff; I've been able to get it to run in Win7 but some of it will not tolerate Win10 and I'm too cheap to buy newer stuff. Plus I don't like Win10 - of course I don't like the newer Mac OS's either, for day-to-day stuff I still use Mountain Lion. I looked into building a Win7 machine last Spring but the guy at the computer store looked at me like I was some kind of alien when I asked for Win7 motherboards and other hardware.
If you want a pretty killer Windows 7 era machine made for it, just buy an old 2010/2012 Mac Pro.
That's my main machine right now - a 3.33GHz 6-core with 48GB memory. It has 5 drives in it - OS Mountain Lion, OS Sierra, Win7, data drive for OS and a data drive for Windows. I even extra drive slides for it, one has a hard drive with Snow Leopard/Win XP for some really old software. It works great but it's old, I just know that one of these days it's gonna die on me and I'll be screwed. I've been looking at some used ones just to have some spare parts on hand. In my opinion that was the last of the great Apple computers.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:46 am

I use VOX on my macbook, for playing audio

gave up on itunes a long time ago

all the other audio processing I do, I use W7 + PC

Oldstench
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Oldstench » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:04 am

If you plan on sticking with Mac, I can't really help other than to suggest Fink which is apparently the OSX compiled version of LAME which is the best MP3 encoder there is.

If you go to PC, get LAME for encoding, Mp3Tag for tagging/organizing and Foobar for playing audio files.

Side note: yay Panason is gone!
Humanity has doomed itself.

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:27 pm

Oldstench wrote:Side note: yay Panason is gone!
He'll be back, if he/she isn't already, under a different screen name. In MY opinion, someone like that just has a need to constantly comment about something/anything, whether the comment is relevant or not. I've known people like that it "real" life, they always have to add their two cents...

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 pm

What is it exactly that you don’t like about Apple now ?

I’m on a 2011 iMac running Sierra , I personally love iTunes , I use smart play lists a lot, it’s really reliable.

I’ve e built pcs , but I’m not sure I’d want to go back to one for media.

Certain things are easier on my Mac, auditioning files , using multiple soundcards.
My last windows machine was windows 7, maybe things have moved along some now ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

htor
Common Wiggler

Re: iTunes replacement for Mac

Post by htor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:45 am

I really recommend Swinsian as a good iTunes alternative. it has a free trial. supports flac, fetches artwork, deals with a lot of files, provides just a library, nothing more:

http://swinsian.com/

Return to “Music Software”