iZotope RX tricks for experimental sound design

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

garretttterrag
Learning to Wiggle

iZotope RX tricks for experimental sound design

Post by garretttterrag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 pm

I've heard richard devine mention his love for RX in a couple interviews. Apparently he's bending and twisting it beyond its utilitarian purpose to get some interesting effects for music and more experimental sounds.

I'm just curious if anybody on here has experience with approaching RX creatively, or has some hacks/tricks worth sharing. Cheers.

subbasshead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by subbasshead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:41 pm

There are a million ways to use RX - for a start it allows editing spectrum as though you are in Photoshop... You can zoom in and select and audition very specific parts of the available spectrum, and copy/merge/composite/ replace etc

A pretty simple but interesting technique is when doing any kind of noise reduction, you can choose an option to retain the noise element rather than the cleaned version. This is technically useful as a way to check you aren't removing too much of the wanted signal, but can also lead to interesting sounds eg say you process a signal with a lot of sharp transients (eg say rain on a tin roof), and you use RX DeClick function. Depending on settings it would normally remove (or reduce) the splats, pops, clicks etc... but if you choose to retain the noise element ('Output Clicks Only') you end up with a file that *only* has the clicks, pops etc.... and when isolated can be quite strange glitches etc... Same with Spectral DeNoise, you can choose to process and "Output noise only' (which you have trained it to learn from part of the source sound)

unpunk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by unpunk » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks Op and subbasshead I have been looking for exactly this info for a while. Are these features only included on the full versions of RX or are they also included on the lesser versions; i.e. standard?

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:34 am

Those are included in the standard version. I use it almost everyday to clean up podcasts.
Especially the remove Reverb module which is great!
I never thought of using it in an atypical way but that’s a great idea!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:33 pm

I have used rx but I got a demo of spectral layers so I'm trying to figure out which one to rule them all. You can do this kind of spectral sounds design directly in isotope iris. Maybe R divine used rx? There is also the time stretch and pitch bend that are very very good on RX. It is a resynthesis engine with all the thousands of bandpass filters.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Music Software”