Software or workflow for building sample packs

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Software or workflow for building sample packs

Post by th0mas » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:27 am

Hi

Can anyone enlighten me on the fastest way to build sample pack samples?

Right now the best I've done is record in ableton, do any master processing like compression and EQ, auto slice to drum rack, go through and fix/delete slices, trim each sample. That gives me a big sack of AIFFs that just need renaming.

It's still a lot of clicks though. Any app exist that speeds this up?

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:07 pm

For building sampled instruments, I use autosampler in mainstage - the only reason I bought mainstage. It makes generating round robin mult-sampled instruments really quick and easy....

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Re: Software or workflow for building sample packs

Post by (((EMP))) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:57 pm

th0mas wrote:Hi

Right now the best I've done is record in ableton, do any master processing like compression and EQ, auto slice to drum rack, go through and fix/delete slices, trim each sample. That gives me a big sack of AIFFs that just need renaming.

IMO, Ableton is not a good tool for sample editing. Because of the problems you listed. I actually use a collection of different programs to get good sample material. First and foremost, some sort of "zero crossing" to minimize clicks. Then normalization, de-clicking algorithms, remove DC offset, etc.

I use:
Recycle
DSP Quattro
WaveEditor (just for the DC removal alone)
Switch
NameChanger
Among others...

To get samples really tight and in clean condition there's no shortcuts unfortunately (at least that I've found). Any software with "auto detection" is pretty useless and generally chops off either the front or the tails of samples. It's actually pretty amazing how badly edited most commercial sample packs are. I end up going in and manually editing every sample individually sometimes before they're usable. After decades of messing with samples I've come to the conclusion that its best to do it right from the get go.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:19 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
th0mas wrote:Hi

IMO, Ableton is not a good tool for sample editing. Because of the problems you listed. I actually use a collection of different programs to get good sample material. First and foremost, some sort of "zero crossing" to minimize clicks. Then normalization, de-clicking algorithms, remove DC offset, etc.

I use:
Recycle
DSP Quattro
WaveEditor (just for the DC removal alone)
Switch
NameChanger
Among others...

To get samples really tight and in clean condition there's no shortcuts unfortunately (at least that I've found). Any software with "auto detection" is pretty useless and generally chops off either the front or the tails of samples. It's actually pretty amazing how badly edited most commercial sample packs are. I end up going in and manually editing every sample individually sometimes before they're usable. After decades of messing with samples I've come to the conclusion that its best to do it right from the get go.
Yeah - for the sampled instruments I really care about I hand edit every sample. But to gather the samples and arrange them quickly, autosampler makes life easier. It also means I can archive patches into instruments with almost zero effort :-)

subbasshead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by subbasshead » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:59 pm

https://samplerobot.com

Sample Robot is along similar lines as AutoSampler
Space is the breath of art

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 pm

forestcaver wrote:For building sampled instruments, I use autosampler in mainstage - the only reason I bought mainstage. It makes generating round robin mult-sampled instruments really quick and easy....
Autosampler still lives on??!! How is it compared to Redmatica's last release? Same features and tools? Or will it only write EXS Logic sampler files?

I never even looked at MainStage, but now I may have to.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I decided for this little project not to switch to a new paid option, so I tried to optimize my Ableton workflow and have gotten it much better.

First, you need to install this slicing preset:
https://github.com/bgamut/ableton/blob/ ... e%208).adv

I don't know why it's not included in Live 9 any more but it's super useful.

I load a sample, enable warp, right-click in the sample warp view and select "Slice to new MIDI track". Then I select that preset above. Then in the Zone menu, highlight all samples, right click and select "crop". Now all the samples are cropped.

Last steps I'm going to normalize and trim silence via sox.. hopefully

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:57 am

dkcg wrote:
forestcaver wrote:For building sampled instruments, I use autosampler in mainstage - the only reason I bought mainstage. It makes generating round robin mult-sampled instruments really quick and easy....
Autosampler still lives on??!! How is it compared to Redmatica's last release? Same features and tools? Or will it only write EXS Logic sampler files?

I never even looked at MainStage, but now I may have to.
Yes - Apple bought it! No idea regarding original Redmatica - I did look into it a while ago and iirc some functionality has been removed - the main one being multi-format support.
Only writes EXS unfortunately. I keep an older version of Kontakt 5.x around to convert it to Kontakt format. Later versions of 5.x introduced a bug that causes it to crash on import every time. 6.x dropped all support for non-NI format imports (I guess this was their bug fix!)

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm

In case anyone wants to do what I did the cheapo way, this was my sox command for normalizing and trimming silence off the end of each sample:

sox in.aif out.aif norm reverse silence 1 0.0001 0.08% fade 0.0001 reverse

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:53 pm

forestcaver wrote:Yes - Apple bought it! No idea regarding original Redmatica - I did look into it a while ago and iirc some functionality has been removed - the main one being multi-format support.
Only writes EXS unfortunately. I keep an older version of Kontakt 5.x around to convert it to Kontakt format. Later versions of 5.x introduced a bug that causes it to crash on import every time. 6.x dropped all support for non-NI format imports (I guess this was their bug fix!)
I had a feeling Apple would do something like that.
Thanks for the tip on Kontakt and importing. I still have the original working, so maybe I'll skip Apple's version. At least I know it's not dead, just been assimilated into the Apple machine.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 am

dkcg wrote:
forestcaver wrote:Yes - Apple bought it! No idea regarding original Redmatica - I did look into it a while ago and iirc some functionality has been removed - the main one being multi-format support.
Thanks for the tip on Kontakt and importing. I still have the original working, so maybe I'll skip Apple's version. At least I know it's not dead, just been assimilated into the Apple machine.
No probs - if you need it, I’ll dig out the last working kontakt version.... (cant remember off the top of my head....)

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:39 pm

forestcaver wrote:
dkcg wrote:
No probs - if you need it, I’ll dig out the last working kontakt version.... (cant remember off the top of my head....)
I'm pretty sure I have it somewhere. I still have the Redmatica software, so I'm good unless I go Catalina, but I rarely upgrade OS on my Macs.

merchant
Common Wiggler

Post by merchant » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:30 am

Great thread, I was looking for a better solution than manually cutting up and populating drum racks in Ableton.

EDIT: Honourable mention to Mr Darwin Grosse for this DIY option:

https://cycling74.com/tutorials/the-com ... idi-system

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 pm

My project is finished! I made over 500 samples of the Noise Engineering BIA module. It only took 3 nights of sampling and processing to get it done. The hardest part was auditioning all 500 samples to delete the flawed takes.

Little demo of the sample pack here

[video][/video]

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:43 am

Another vote for SampleRobot. It maybe seems a bit overkill, but a truly powerful sample for auto-sampling.

Basterdman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basterdman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:29 am

auto sampler and free.

https://gumroad.com/l/gjVM

pentd
Common Wiggler

Post by pentd » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:33 pm

not the shortest video, but covers many eye-opening aspects of reaper workflow possibilities

"Editing Samples in Reaper"

Return to “Music Software”