Help me solve this Ableton routing very specific question

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Help me solve this Ableton routing very specific question

Post by High Wolf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:42 am

Hey!

I'll try to be as clear as possible.

So I have this track where I use an effect on the master track and it is great. I'll call it general FX. BUT I'd like to keep the kick out of it.

What I did is group all the other tracks but the kick and put the general fx there, so then my master will be free of this general fx and the kick would be dry.
BUT the cool thing I had when the general fx was on the master track is that it was also including the return tracks.

So before it was like this :

All the tracks > Send / return FX > Master > general FX

Now with my group of tracks it was like this :

Group of tracks > general FX > Send / Return fx > Master
Kick Drum > Master

So my question is, how can I have :

Group of tracks > Send / return fx > general FX > Master
Kick Drum > Master

I hope it's clear, and I hope someone will be nice enough to help me with this. Thanks in advance :hail:

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:59 am

Hey High Wolf,

Instead of a group, create a new audio track for your master effects and route all of your tracks and returns to this. Group tracks are not available as return destinations for some reason.

Hope that helps!

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Illiac wrote:Hey High Wolf,

Instead of a group, create a new audio track for your master effects and route all of your tracks and returns to this. Group tracks are not available as return destinations for some reason.

Hope that helps!
Just did that, seems like it's working! But I guess I need to record the audio on that new track before I export the audio? Well I'll try and see if that works without recording anything, just using that routing...

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:56 pm

High Wolf wrote:
Illiac wrote:Hey High Wolf,

Hope that helps!
Just did that, seems like it's working! But I guess I need to record the audio on that new track before I export the audio? Well I'll try and see if that works without recording anything, just using that routing...
Nope, no problem exporting! Thanks for the help, now I have to decide wether it's a good idea or not to do that, but at least I'm not stuck with a technical issue :tu:

Return to “Music Software”