Equivalents in VCV rack?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

newrun
Learning to Wiggle

Equivalents in VCV rack?

Post by newrun » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Is there a list of VCV rack modules with their hardware equivalents?

I'm just starting to learn and would like to put together something in VCV that would help me decide what hardware to buy.

Looking to do ambient/generative stuff a'la Ann Annie.

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:28 pm

I don't have a list. You could start with Audible and Arable Instruments, which are ports of the Mutable modules (if you hover over the modules in VCV Rack's module selector, they'll tell you which hardware module they are ports of).

You could also add modules from companies that offer (or allow others to offer) software and hardware versions, like Befaco, E Series (Synthesis Technology in hardware), Vult, Erica, Stellare's Turing machine (Music Machine Modular), and I'm sure others you will come across.

But if you're new to modular, I'd recommend that you just get started with the basic modules and some good utility modules from maybe Bogaudio and make sure you really understand what the basic modules can do and how to patch together what you want from them (rather than starting with/buying fancier modules that do a lot of the work for you). Then, you can expand into newer/"cooler" modules.

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:33 am

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Great, list, _lampshade_, thanks!

newrun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by newrun » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:38 am

Return to “Music Software”