Reaktor Vs. Analog Mod System

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Solek
Learning to Wiggle

Reaktor Vs. Analog Mod System

Post by Solek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:15 am

Hi,

I'm new here but have been reading these forums for quite some time. I was wondering if there is a significant advantage to an analog modular system versus Reaktor. I've also been trying to learn max but have been really liking reaktor blocks and primary. Is it worth the time and money to put together a modular hardware system? I'm into sound design and early twentieth century / late romantic / impressionistic composition mixed in with some rock and jazz...

I started a little mod system here...

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 084855.jpg

I like tinkering with this stuff but should I just focus on the music and move on with reaktor?

Thanks,

Solek

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Reaktor Vs. Analog Mod System

Post by JES » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 am

What are you unhappy with in Reaktor?
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Solek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Solek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:49 am

I'm not unhappy with anything in particular... I wish the blocks were polyphonic but I realize a modular system wouldn't solve this.... I was just wondering if modular systems sound that much better and what the general consensus around here was.
I might be looking for an excuse to tinker with stuff / procrastinate but if it seems there is a major sound quality advantage over reaktor I'll be more motivated to get into the eurorack modular system.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:36 pm

I’ve used both. I would not say there is a sound quality advantage to hardware in most cases, though there’s always the possibility you’ll use it differently and make different sounds.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Solek wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:49 am
I'm not unhappy with anything in particular... I wish the blocks were polyphonic but I realize a modular system wouldn't solve this.... I was just wondering if modular systems sound that much better and what the general consensus around here was.
I might be looking for an excuse to tinker with stuff / procrastinate but if it seems there is a major sound quality advantage over reaktor I'll be more motivated to get into the eurorack modular system.
You can run blocks polyphonically depending on which DAW you use.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

It’s not Glitch, it’s not Granular, what in the f*** is that?!?!

Solek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Solek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:09 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:03 pm
Solek wrote:

I run reaktor through ableton ...

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Stick with Reaktor unless you have:

A. a large amount of cash you'd like to get rid of
B. an addiction to the smell of burning solder rosin
C. a large home studio that would look better with a wall of blinking lights and wires that looks like a Dalek
----------------------

Flounderguts

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Solek wrote:
I think it's more about what you enjoy and what makes you make music. I've been using Reaktor for many years - since the release of R5. I love it, but find I spend more time developing instruments than making music. I much prefer my Eurorack system for making music.
I love Reaktor though, I've learned so much about sound and how it works, and Reaktor is a great playground for experimenting with any new ideas I read about. That wouldn't be possible for me in Eurorack, because I don't have the Electronics chops for that.

For basic synthesis we're still some way away from software sounding as good as hardware. I can make sounds I'm happy with in Eurorack with way fewer modules than I can in Reaktor, because the fundamental noises you get from a single oscillator through a single filter modulated by a basic envelope are just a bit more rich and vibrant than what you can get from software, and it all adds up - so with software you have to work a lot harder to get a really nice sound, and I want to avoid hard work and get on with the playing.

Reaktor can do so much more than a reasonable sized Eurorack though. And there's nothing stopping you from using Reaktor's monolithic synths alongside Blocks (or Eurorack for that matter). Some of the library synths e.g. photone, equinoxe deluxe, steampipe.. etc. are amazing.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Solek wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:09 pm
mritenburg wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:03 pm
Solek wrote:
I'm not unhappy with anything in particular... I wish the blocks were polyphonic

I run reaktor through ableton ...

In Ableton the way to to run Reaktor Blocks polyphonically (or any monosynth plugin) is by using a Maxforlive device called "sun.polymidireceive." Basically, you set-up multiple copies of the the same Reaktor Block on multiple tracks, then use the Maxforlive device to distribute your chords/notes to the each of the Blocks. This lets you create a polyphonic instrument from a mono Block.

Return to “Music Software”