Secrets of your "ready to cook" software templates (DAW-agnostic)

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Secrets of your "ready to cook" software templates (DAW-agnostic)

Post by JES » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Some of you record a lot of music quickly. I'm trying to get a proper "ready to cook" software template up and running. For my template, obviously I need all the relevant input channels for synths and other sounds assigned to the right places, standard send effects, etc, but I'm curious if there are other things people do that they find particularly useful.

The goal is to basically open Live, "save as" a set with today's date, and go.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Secrets of your "ready to cook" software templates (DAW-agnostic)

Post by flipper16 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:19 am

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:46 am

Gee thanks. I hadn't thought of searching the internet for free Ableton templates.

I was asking Wigglers for their experience, not for Ableton templates, which is why I said DAW-agnostic (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic). I've already made my own. I'm just wondering if others have come up with clever ideas I haven't.

Right now, I've got:

1 group that's all my ES-6 ins (all armed)
1 group that's all my ES-8 outs (these will be used as destinations for other tracks)
2 analog inputs on my RME Babyface (both actually routed to the same input, which is for guitar or bass)
1 channel set up with a looper for the guitar/bass mapped to a foot controller and also routed from the guitar/bass channel
Valhalla delay on one send, Valhalla Vintage Verb on another
I've also got a few tracks with granular and spectral samplers I like, since those are the software instruments I use the most. When I do this kind of sampling, I almost always stack tracks so there is more than one. They are also grouped so I can run a single process on all of them if I want.
I also keep a relatively small folder of samples as "food" for these samplers. For me, the key is not having an infinite choice of samples, but a few sounds I want to work with.
2 channels for clips -- mostly for storage since I never just play clips, but sometimes I pull something off a looper or otherwise resample

Grouping also means I don't have to look at the individual tracks if I don't want to, so my set has a cleaner appearance.

Everything is labelled and color coded.

Outside the computer, I've got a couple small semi-permanent patches on my Euro (just in-out stuff, really--a route into my outboard analog delays, for instance), and a small pedalboard setup for the stringed instruments.

The idea is to launch Live, save as today's date, plug in and record. Projects might last a couple days if I have a good patch set up but the goal is real-time improv and some minimal editing later.

So..what didn't I think of? What clever setups have you come up with?
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

criticalmonkey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by criticalmonkey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 pm

my experience is to have an everything template - like every in/out, every midi piece, every VI, laid out in groupings as logical - samplers, modular, VI poly, vi mono, drum machines, vi drums, midi hardware, mic press, effects, etc -
- oh and all the vis are set to patches i prefer to remind me of why i like it
i also have a bunch of tracks for expert sleepers silent way setups for various complex things (a growing sub template) - though i do have to assign outputs/inputs on them if i use since i don't leave anything patched unless normaled on a patch bay
it all completely kills my computer performance....

so then i use that at the start of a project and eliminate everything not needed - make inactive or just plan delete if it is a super focused thing - like no point in a bunch of synths for a string based track -
for composing / recording / early mixing

i have a different template for mixing - i find the tools and mental process is different and i mix for others as well - i try to mix from audio only - committing really helps move things forward

and another template for mastering - which is where i first learned the value of templates with lots of options ready to go - i kinda mimic a mastering desk flow philosophy - I'm not a mastering engineer by trade but do enough for purposes that it is super useful

in my view - the everything template solves the in the box problem of not seeing all the options i have -
and then the project template solves the problem of creative focus -
mixing and mastering templates put focus on the work stage rather than the wide open spaces of starting something

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:26 am

Disabled instrument tracks is one way I work in Cubase for everything ready templates.

Personally I prefer minimal templates. I do split it out for sound design, arranging, and mixing. Printing stems to mix with is a good practice.

oisin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oisin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:57 am

i also keep it minimal so as to not fall back on too much of the same old tricks

but in ableton its 4 audio + 4 midi with a bunch of keystrokes programmed in.

W424
Learning to Wiggle

Post by W424 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:41 am

I have all the midi/euro/overbridge stuff in my ableton template.
It’s 30+ tracks subgrouped and grouped in one (just to keep it visually minimal) where from I drag and drop whatever I need. Works great as I never want to do any tech/routing stuff when writing.

subbasshead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by subbasshead » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:49 am

My only tip is that once you have built a template with all of the instruments, FX sends & returns, VCAs, stem routing etc that you want available, dont open that template - just use it as a resource to import from... That way your current wip session doesn't get bloated with things you dont currently need... especially true for eg Kontakt instruments that take a while to load...
Space is the breath of art

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Ken Andrews has a special touch. He just started doing these videos. It is good to get into them now.

Return to “Music Software”