Looking to buy my first VCV Rack modules

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Looking to buy my first VCV Rack modules

Post by gkillmaster » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Its my birthday coming up and I’m going to ask for a set of modules and would love to get your thoughts on what I should get first. I love experimenting with wild sounds (ala. morphogene, ciat-lonbard etc…). I see that the Vult modules seem used a lot. (and I love the names of the modules :slight_smile: ) Which other sets should I consider do get me going with tons of capability and variance and unusuality?

Many thanks!

Greg

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Looking to buy my first VCV Rack modules

Post by rjungemann » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 am

I use a VCV Console attached to the main audio output in nearly every patch, as a mixer with sends.

VCV Pulse Matrix is really good for triggering drums, or, when combined with a pitch sequencer, can create rotating melodies. You can also shift the columns or rows for additional variation.

AS has some great modules. The AS ReBeat is a fun pulse sequencer entirely different from the VCV Pulse Matrix.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:14 am

It would be nice if Muff's had it's own VCV Rack section...

:mrgreen:

dpcoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by dpcoffin » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 am

The vst Host was my first choice and it's never disappointed:
https://vcvrack.com/Host

A controversial option, well worth considering:
Matthew Friedrichs' Maths clone Floats

re:

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 am

dpcoffin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 am
The vst Host was my first choice and it's never disappointed:
https://vcvrack.com/Host

A controversial option, well worth considering:
Matthew Friedrichs' Maths clone Floats

re:

Thank you! Do you know if the host functionality be part of the VCV Rack version 2 VST update? I'm guessing not...

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:41 am

I had VCV Console in my template patch for a year, but I replaced it with the free MindMeld mixer, since that has stereo channels for easier mixing.

Vult's incredible. I've bought all of those sets.

I'll do some self-promotion and recommend the Unfiltered Audio modules. Omri Cohen did a great livestream with them this week:

My best purchase was VCV Host. If you have lots of plugins already, this is essential. If you're unhappy with, say, the VCV reverb options, you can simply drop Valhalla or Pro-R into a HostFX. Likewise, it's a lot of fun to use VCV sequencers with VST instruments. I also use Pulse Matrix a bunch. That + VCV Host + Digitakt Overbridge = a great drum machine.

ZZC Phaseque is one of the deeper sequencers available for VCV. I like to use his clock modules as the heart of my patches now, as they have both triggers and phase outputs. They're perfect for slightly bending clock streams.

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 pm

thelizard wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:41 am
I had VCV Console in my template patch for a year, but I replaced it with the free MindMeld mixer, since that has stereo channels for easier mixing.

Vult's incredible. I've bought all of those sets.

I'll do some self-promotion and recommend the Unfiltered Audio modules. Omri Cohen did a great livestream with them this week:

My best purchase was VCV Host. If you have lots of plugins already, this is essential. If you're unhappy with, say, the VCV reverb options, you can simply drop Valhalla or Pro-R into a HostFX. Likewise, it's a lot of fun to use VCV sequencers with VST instruments. I also use Pulse Matrix a bunch. That + VCV Host + Digitakt Overbridge = a great drum machine.

ZZC Phaseque is one of the deeper sequencers available for VCV. I like to use his clock modules as the heart of my patches now, as they have both triggers and phase outputs. They're perfect for slightly bending clock streams.
Thank you! I'll take a look at the Unfiltered Audio stuff for sure! Do you know if VCV Host will become unneccesary once VCV Rack V2 VST is released? I keep waiting to buy it thinking that all that functionality will be available due to it being a VST plugin.

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm

VCV Host runs plugins inside of VCV and exposes all of their parameters as modulation inputs. This makes it really easy and fun to put your favorite effect plugin in the middle of a big patch and hit it with shared LFOs, envelopes, etc.

One of my template Racks is just Clock->Pulse Matrix->VCV Host so that I can run DrumComputer or Digitakt inside of that for quick algorithmic drums. That patch may be replaceable if VCV 2.0 Plugin has MIDI out, but it's still fun to hook LFOs and other modulation sources up to the drum machines. In general, I don't think that 2.0 will negate the fun that I have with VCV Host.

gkillmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gkillmaster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:07 pm

thelizard wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm
VCV Host runs plugins inside of VCV and exposes all of their parameters as modulation inputs. This makes it really easy and fun to put your favorite effect plugin in the middle of a big patch and hit it with shared LFOs, envelopes, etc.

One of my template Racks is just Clock->Pulse Matrix->VCV Host so that I can run DrumComputer or Digitakt inside of that for quick algorithmic drums. That patch may be replaceable if VCV 2.0 Plugin has MIDI out, but it's still fun to hook LFOs and other modulation sources up to the drum machines. In general, I don't think that 2.0 will negate the fun that I have with VCV Host.
Thank you. Good to know. Sounds like the VCV Host module will provide some unique functionality from the VST!

Return to “Music Software”