ableton midi sync w/o transport?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

htor
Learning to Wiggle

ableton midi sync w/o transport?

Post by htor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:50 am

is it possible to have ableton read midi clock from external but ignore transport messages at the same time?

reason is:
i'm using ableton as a multi-track recorder and effects for each track. no midi notes in or out of ableton – i'm sequencing everything on an external sequencer but controlling the fx sends via a midi controller. now, i like to sync up lfo's on effects to the midi clock so i'll set EXT to on. unfortunately, this makes ableton also respond to transport messages, so when i hit record there, and then hit play and stop on my sequencer, the playback head will reset to start (0:0:0) and stop the recording. i don't want it to stop the recording, only the sequence.

to avoid the transport issue i instead set EXT to off, and everytime i change the tempo on my sequencer i need to manually change ableton's tempo to stay in sync. this is a little annoying while jamming. and i often like to jam with my laptop lid closed, so i'd rather not think about staying in sync.

any tips here?
Last edited by htor on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Re: ableton midi sync w/o transport?

Post by x2mirko » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 am

I don't think you can tell ableton live to only listen for midi clock while ignoring transport commands. You could however send the midi messages through something like midiox first and filter the transport messages out. I'm not sure how live will react to getting started manually while receiving a clock, but I think it should work and since midiox is free, you may as well try it :)

htor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by htor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 am

ah, clever midi filtering tip!
i tried MidiPipe for mac (http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html) since that's what i'm using.
by using it's midi out into ableton and filtering only midi clock i can use EXT on and without transport messages.
a small quirk, you need to hit play in ableton before setting EXT to on and before recording to get the playback head moving.
:party: :party: :party:
thanks a lot!
Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 16.15.16.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:33 am

Another example of when MIDI pipe is really useful.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Return to “Music Software”