Routing Ableton CV tools through Presonus 1824

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Trilo
Wiggling with Experience

Routing Ableton CV tools through Presonus 1824

Post by Trilo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:30 am

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out how to use Ableton's new CV tools with my new (used actually) Presonus Studio 1824 audio interface.

I've connected DC-Coupled line outs 1 and 2 to my SH-101s CV and Gate In, which I'm guessing are outputs 3 & 4 according to Ableton as 1 and 2 would be the Main L and R output.

CV Instruments CV pitch is routed to output 3 and gate is routed through output 4.

When I play my MIDI keyboard in order to send the CV and gate, it sounds like the signals are going through the main L & R. I hear a loud popping (the gate) and then the pitch. The pitch is tracking so I know I'm sending something right... but I don't want them coming out of the mains! Just the Line outs!

Opening Universal Control (the Presonus mixer) I can see the gate and pitch CV signals being sent. But I can't seem to only send them through the line outs as desired and not mixed with the mains as it seems to be doing so. Super bad for my speakers! Bypassing the mixer in Universal Control gives me no sound...

Anyone with a Presonus audio interface, Ableton and the M4L CV tools know what is going on? I figure I'm making a simple mistake but don't want to blow my speakers by trying random stuff.

Any help is much appreciated! Sorry if this seems vague or confusing... I'm confused!

Trilo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Routing Ableton CV tools through Presonus 1824

Post by Trilo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:19 pm

I may have figured it out...

It seems line outs 1 & 2 mirror the Main L & R outputs (or vice versa). So sending CV/Gate signals through outs 1 & 2 will also send those signals through the main L & R outs. At least that is what seems to be happening. As far as I can glean online, this can't be changed.

Outs 3 through 8 will be able to send those CV/Gate signals from Ableton Live's CV tools without also sending them through the mains. These would be outs 5 through 10 in Ableton.

Anyways, I THINK that is how this is working. 6 CV/Gate signals instead of 8 kinda sucks but is still way better than what I had before (nothing). Glad I didn't blow any speakers!

If I'm wrong about all this please let me know! Maybe this thread can help someone else who encounters this.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:49 pm

I own a presonus 1810 and works the way it should. Just one question, have you prepared floating ring cables for cv control? Otherwise they will not work.

Trilo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trilo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:48 pm

seta666 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:49 pm
...have you prepared floating ring cables for cv control?
I've got 6 on order with Perfect Circuit. Anxiously awaiting them to come in stock. I could make my own but they are cheap and I can't really spare any of my existing cables.

The cable issue seems to be another BIG mistake I was making. I didn't understand the importance of the floating ring cables at first and read some misleading info on other forums about whether they were needed.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:09 pm

I made my own with 150cm patch cables, I cut on end and solder a stereo jack leaving the ring conection empty. For lfo or envelopes you can get an extra inverted signal from each output. Normal signal would be ground plus tip, inverted one ground plus ring.

Return to “Music Software”