Trying to remember pretty obscure software

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Trying to remember pretty obscure software

Post by rec.Koner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:45 pm

:hmm:

I slightly remember... I think it was only for Mac, in mid-to-late 2000s, or very early 2010s (so it was Intel era mac, i think). Author of software was single person, and not a company. If i recall, there were earlier products by developer, and they might have been mac/windows, but maybe also mac only. And i remember that this software piece were more or less continuation of previous project, further step. But it was abandoned, never finished, though you could download beta/alpha version (i think i did, even though i dont have mac anymore and already moved from mac at that point, i just can't find where exactly on my drives) from website (i remember it was on author's website and not on places like kvr, though perhaps it was even mentioned here on mw or.. idk).

It was something more or less esoteric/experimental. I think it was standalong mainly, instead of plugin. Name was mysterious or poetic, something like Odessa (i dont think it was city name though, but something a bit romantic). It was either modular synth, or something based around weird sequencing or, also, effects/manipulations (so i think i found out about it when was looking for software for musique concrete or acousmatics or something else a-la 20th century avantgarde).

Well... Any ideas?

:despair:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

ihav2p
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Trying to remember pretty obscure software

Post by ihav2p » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm

metasynth?

bhinton
Common Wiggler

Post by bhinton » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:29 pm

Maybe Giorgio Sancristoforo's Berna?

It duplicates an old fashioned tape music/pre-"synth" modular studio. Definitely matches your description. It's great. Still available. There's a topic here on MW somewhere about it.

I think he moved websites a few times, and for awhile this and Gleetchlab were unavailable, but I know I recently downloaded current versions and my licenses still worked. He now has a third app - a "sequencer driven by a Geiger counter". I do remember something else he was working on that was abandoned, but I could be thinking of someone else.

site - http://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/

Otherwise I dunno, there are several applications that are close to your description.

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:57 pm

ihav2p wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:53 pm
metasynth?
Not metasynth, though i'm glad to hear it being mentioned here, because it's from author of ArtMatic Voyager/ArtMatic Designer, which i appreciate as Bryce 3D user (and Eric Wenger is creator in both cases). :yay:
bhinton wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:29 pm
Maybe Giorgio Sancristoforo's Berna?

It duplicates an old fashioned tape music/pre-"synth" modular studio. Definitely matches your description. It's great. Still available. There's a topic here on MW somewhere about it.

I think he moved websites a few times, and for awhile this and Gleetchlab were unavailable, but I know I recently downloaded current versions and my licenses still worked. He now has a third app - a "sequencer driven by a Geiger counter". I do remember something else he was working on that was abandoned, but I could be thinking of someone else.

site - http://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/

Otherwise I dunno, there are several applications that are close to your description.
! This might be pretty much what i had in mind (so, tape music / musique concrete / elektroakustische musik, huh?!). And author's name sounding italian... rings some bells. I'll check once more my hdds and bookmarks, but it could be the right answer. Thank you very much!

:hail:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

bhinton
Common Wiggler

Post by bhinton » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27 pm

His Gleetchlab is great too - came out before Berna. Probably topics on both of them here on MW.
Super inexpensive and supports a truly independent artist and developer.
Now I"ll have to check out his geiger sequencer thing.

James
Common Wiggler

Post by James » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Argeiphontes Lyre?

aethyr
Common Wiggler

Post by aethyr » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:12 pm

you beat me there brother and it looks like it is still going! loved that piece of software :hyper:
James wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm
Argeiphontes Lyre?

IMHUL
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IMHUL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 am

I just came across this: https://github.com/awwbees/BespokeSynth ... GFKsPkMK2g

It appears to have come out after the time frame you're referring to, but I figured I'd post it as it seems interesting and it's recently been resurrected.

wes2600
Common Wiggler

Post by wes2600 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Makes me think of Ovaltune. Ran on my Mac and came in a can. It may be earlier than your dates.

htor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by htor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm

aethyr wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:12 pm
you beat me there brother and it looks like it is still going! loved that piece of software :hyper:
James wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm
Argeiphontes Lyre?
what in the world of softwares is this?? nice!

bhinton
Common Wiggler

Post by bhinton » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:22 pm

Nothing like Argeiphontes Lyre on earth. A work of art in its own right!
The dev is the fantastic composer Akira Rabelais (hope I have the spelling right).

Return to “Music Software”