TC-11

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

TC-11

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 pm

I am starting this thread "For new TC-11 users".
To share any tips/tricks I have learned, and answer questions about anything, that was not obvious from reading the manual.

Developers website, with overview of TC-11
Full Owners Manual for TC-11

Feel free to share your helpful tips, or ask questions, and I will try to answer them in a timely manor.
Please understand that there may be times when I don't respond right away, and that I am not an official representative of TC-11 or Bit Shape Software.

I am just doing this because I like TC-11, and want to share the fun :hyper:

And of course, a big shout out to Kevin Schlei, for creating TC-11, adding new features, and keeping it current since 2010 :yay:
Check out his other apps at Bit Shape Software
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

TC-11 is my favorite iOS synth app.

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:29 pm

TC-11 is by far my favorite synth app on iOS, and I have a lot of em.
Nothing comes close, and in fact it is in a class by itself.

I have had it for a few months, and the more I play with it the better I like it.
Here is a link to the developers web site.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/

The presets cover a very wide range of sound types, from Buchla, and Serge type sounds, to lush pads, percussive sounds, evolving sounds, sequences, arpeggiations, traditional VA synth sounds, west coast to east coast, and everything in between.
Also great movement in the stereo field.

The important thing to know, is how you can change (modulate) those sounds while you are playing them, and how the patches take great advantage of the many ways to do that, using all the potential of the iPad/iPod/iPhone.

Multitouch, one or more fingers on the iPad, how fast you move your finger(s) across the surface, the distance from the previous touch, where you touch, which direction you slide your finger(s), how much area of finger you put down, motion of the iPad, and so much more, is used to modulate different aspects of the sound.
It is literally in a class by itself.

I like the large number of well made presets so much, it took me a while before I read the owners manual, to see how it works, and learn more about the interface., and the synth engine behind it.
Once again, my mind was blown by how it works, and what is possible with it.
The synth engine is designed from the ground up, to take full advantage of the iPad's Multitouch and motion sensing.
The best I have seen on iOS devices, and nothing like synths that try to imitate traditional hardware synths.

Click on the link to download the owners manual.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst...-guide-2.0.pdf

Because you don't have to look at it, to play it, I found myself walking through the woods with my iPod touch and headphones, creating lush soundscapes, with one or two hands.
Like no synth experience I've ever had before.

Playing it on my iPad Pro 12.9" is crazy cool too.
Best of all is having it loaded on all three of my i devices, iPad Air 1st gen, iPad Pro 2nd gen, and iPod Touch 5th gen, and having a jam session.

Because it's so portable, I can play at home through my PA speakers, walking around, or on a park bench with the built in speakers, Bluetooth speakers, or headphones.

If you want to try a free version, before buying the full version, check out TC-Performer.
http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/inst.../tc-performer/
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

TC-11 is easy to use, and has a powerful synth engin.

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm

TC-11 is very easy to use (one of the easiest) if you only play with the presets.
The manual is well written, and describes all the parts of the synth in detail, with good graphics.
You can look at or download the manual here TC-11 Manual

When I was ready to go past just playing the presets, I found it useful to have the manual open on one device, while having TC-11 running on another, so I could read a section of the manual, and poke at TC-11, at the same time.
As with any powerful synth engine, it takes a little while for it all to sink in, but with a little patience, and practice (modifying presets, and working with the provided templates), it starts to make sense.

Another trick I use for absorbing new information, is to read all the way through a manual, without trying to understand it.
Come back to it a day later, and then try to get a better handle on the details.
Repeat this a few times, while experimenting with it, and you will be a pro in no time.

The graphical layout of the synth engine, and how it presents the options to you, are very logical, and easy to get the hang of.
If you are already familiar with synth basics, you will have no problem with it.
He uses common synth terminology, and easy graphics, so no cryptic stuff to remember.
And you can easily Google any terms you are not familiar with, to get more in depth descriptions.

As a long time synth guy, with lots of hardware and iOS synths, I think this is the best non keyboard oriented, synth in my collection.
The more I play with it, the better I like it.
Modifying presets, making my own, and saving them to my own folder is fun, not frustrating for me :hyper:

Don't forget to try the free version, TC-Performer (presets only), to get an idea of what it is capable of.
Once I did that, I quickly purchased the full version.
FREE: TC-Performer (plays presets only)
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Signal flow direction, and Modules (modulators)

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 pm

One of the first things I want to point out is...
Many of us are used to the signal flowing from left to right, starting with the oscillators, then filters and ending with amplifiers.

The patch editor for TC-11, Starts at the top of the screen and works its way down.
Each section of the synthesizer is called a "Synth Object".
"Synth Objects", refer to the different sections of the synth, like the Oscillators, Filters, Amplifiers, Effects, and Output.

At the very bottom of the screen, after the output Synth Object, is where the "Modules" are.

The "Modules" are modulators, like AHDSR (Attack time, Hold time, Decay time, Sustain level, Release time), LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator), TABLE (plays values, similar to a sequencer), and the SEQUENCER (plays notes).
The Modules can be added/removed as needed, and are used in/by the "Synth Objects" located above them in the Patch Editor.

PS you can have more than one Module to work with at a time.
You can have a maximum of 8 AHDSRs, 8 LFOs, 16 TABLES, and 4 Sequencers.

Once you get the hang of the top to bottom signal flow, you are well on your way to learning how to make your own patches :bananallama:
Last edited by Wavy Davy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Re: For new TC-11 users

Post by kinkujin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 am

Wavy Davy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm
TC-11 is very easy to use (one of the easiest) if you only play with the presets.
The manual is well written, and describes all the parts of the synth in detail, with good graphics.
You can look at or download the manual here TC-11 Manual

When I was ready to go past just playing the presets, I found it useful to have the manual open on one device, while having TC-11 running on another, so I could read a section of the manual, and poke at TC-11, at the same time.
As with any powerful synth engine, it takes a little while for it all to sink in, but with a little patience, and practice (modifying presets, and working with the provided templates), it starts to make sense.

Another trick I use for absorbing new information, is to read all the way through a manual, without trying to understand it.
Come back to it a day later, and then try to get a better handle on the details.
Repeat this a few times, while experimenting with it, and you will be a pro in no time.

The graphical layout of the synth engine, and how it presents the options to you, are very logical, and easy to get the hang of.
If you are already familiar with synth basics, you will have no problem with it.
He uses common synth terminology, and easy graphics, so no cryptic stuff to remember.
And you can easily Google any terms you are not familiar with, to get more in depth descriptions.

As a long time synth guy, with lots of hardware and iOS synths, I think this is the best non keyboard oriented, synth in my collection.
The more I play with it, the better I like it.
Modifying presets, making my own, and saving them to my own folder is fun, not frustrating for me :hyper:

Don't forget to try the free version, TC-Performer (presets only), to get an idea of what it is capable of.
Once I did that, I quickly purchased the full version.
FREE: TC-Performer (plays presets only)
Thanks so much for this. May have to download that free version (didn't know about that).

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

TC-11 and low storage space available.

Post by Wavy Davy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 pm

About TC-11 and low storage space available.
I had a problem with TC-11 not showing me some of the options in it, when my iPad ran out of storage.
After deleting some unneeded files (pictures in my case), and freeing up storage, TC-11 returned to normal operation.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: Introduction

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Not to backseat moderate, but could you please change the thread title to be be more descriptive in regards to what this thread is actually about?

EDIT: I see you've done it. Word :tu:
This looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out more when I get home later

crawling wind
Wiggling with Experience

Re: TC-11

Post by crawling wind » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Great thread! Just started digging into TC-11 after owning it for quite a while. Many possibilities!

duck1887
Common Wiggler

Post by duck1887 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks WD, much appreciated! I got TC-11 some time ago but have found it a bit intimidating. TC-Data looks cool too, have you tried that?

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 pm

duck1887 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm
Thanks WD, much appreciated! I got TC-11 some time ago but have found it a bit intimidating. TC-Data looks cool too, have you tried that?
Yes, TC-11 can seem a little overwhelming at first, because it is so powerful, and full of options, but a little patience, and a few reads through the manual, will make everything clear.
I will be posting more on the basics, and how to use it in the coming weeks and months, as time allows.
Feel free to ask specific questions, and I will answer as quickly as possible.

I have not tried TC-Data yet, though I have purchased and installed it on my iPads.
One of my ideas for it, is to use TC-Data to control my miRack synth app, and/or other synth apps.
Also thinking how it could be used to control my hardware synths.
Seems like lots of interesting potential there.
So much power at our fingertips, so little time to figure it out and use it :w00t:

I will make a separate thread for TC-Data when I get started with it.
Thanks for posting your question :tu:

duck1887
Common Wiggler

Post by duck1887 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Wavy Davy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 pm
So much power at our fingertips, so little time to figure it out and use it :w00t:
Amen to that!
Wavy Davy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 pm
I will make a separate thread for TC-Data when I get started with it.
Cool :tu:

Return to “Music Software”