Win10: Can I make a "studio" user with separate settings?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Win10: Can I make a "studio" user with separate settings?

Post by Hovmod » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 am

I just recently bought a Windows laptop after having been on Macs for a decade or so, and I am looking for a way to set it up so that it can be both a regular day-to-day laptop and a studio workstation.
When in studio mode, I want it to never go dark, never sleep, not hook up to wifi, and run all my music related apps flawlessly and if necessary with extra focus.
I tried setting up a new user, but the adjusted settings spilled over into my regular user, so I'm probably not doing it right.

How do you guys set up your multi-purpose laptops? Is it not possible to have different power and network settings for different users in Windows 10?

intropod_
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Win10: Can I make a "studio" user with separate settings?

Post by intropod_ » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am

System settings are shared between users in Windows. So it won't work without a bit of effort. There may be some apps out there that perform these tasks.

It's possible to do yourself though. You basically just need to modify the power(sleep etc) and network settings. I have a couple of ideas. You can setup two different power profiles, and then switch between them manually. I don't think you'll be able to control the network with this though.

You can take it a step further by creating BAT scripts that handle changing power and network. You'll need one for each user. One sets a certain power profile and enables wifi. The other enables a different profile and disables wifi. When you get them working, add them to the user's startup and they can run automatically.

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:34 pm

intropod's logic seems correct. I don't recall this functionality built into W10 so your best bet is probably to script what you need.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:23 pm

intropod is pretty correct - there's a distinction between settings that are per-user and settings that are system-wide, and most hardware options fall into the latter category. Some things you might be able to pull off with Group Policy in a domain environment, but that's a corporate server/workstation model type affair and I don't 'spect you'll be able to do it on a home PC.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:58 am

Thanks. I'll look into scripts and batch files. I'll probably just end up turning on flight mode when I'm in the studio.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am

You could get a second system drive and create a dual boot machine. This works well if your computer came with a OEM version of Windows with the license key embedded in the motherboard. That way you don’t need another Win 10 license. If not, you need a second Win 10 license, but this approach will achieve total separation.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

a loose reference

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Could essentially do the same with one hard drive and three partitions. Two small system partitions, one for work, one for studio, and the remaining big shared partition for your files and applications. Though, I think handling this, especially if it's just power profile and Internet, would work better via a startup script. :D The idea of having to pick startup drive and manage two completely different systems is probably much more of a pain then just needing to move a few settings depending on logged in user... Though, I do like the idea of total separation, and can definitely see the appeal for that in certain situations.

Return to “Music Software”