CoVariant - MIDI to CV/Gate Audio Unit for iOS

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

CoVariant - MIDI to CV/Gate Audio Unit for iOS

Post by (((EMP))) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm

Surprised nobody posted this yet.

CoVariant https://apps.apple.com/us/app/covariant/id1499681559

‘CoVariant is an Audio Unit that converts MIDI note and controller data to CV and Gate control voltages via a DC coupled audio interface allowing it to control analog synthesizers directly. It also includes two software generated ADSR envelopes that can be used to drive any voltage controlled parameter of the synthesizer.’

http://recurcv.com/

Looks really cool

And some discussion here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3740 ... ter#latest``

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Re: CoVariant - MIDI to CV/Gate Audio Unit for iOS

Post by Switchzik » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:51 am

I spotted this one too :)
I was wondering if I can get the clock output somehow, would be great !

AlanC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AlanC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Developer saying "Hello"... ;)

At the moment it's MIDI notes and controllers to CV/Gate.

You can "fake" a clock output by putting, say, 1/16th notes in a track and using one of the envelope generators to create the necessary pulses since the attack and decay times will go down to 1ms. I've tried this and, while the output isn't a pulse wave, it drove a Pittsburgh TimeRunner without any problems.

A proper clock AU with a variable divider and pulse length is one of the additions I have planned.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:42 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for passing by. I think you app is great, we are missing midi to CV converter on ios.

So far I'm using midi only for sequencing but if everything can go througth cv it would be better. Im still confuse with the set up though.
How easy would it be, say, to get 3 gates + velocity out of patterning 2 ? How many covariant should I set up ? IS it even possible ?

I didn't make up my mind yet but follow this topic with high interest. I'm considering to switch to a eurorack case driven by an ipad + exper sleepers es-9. Covariant and cvquencer seems to be what I need ;)

AlanC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AlanC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:45 am

Switchzik wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:42 am
So far I'm using midi only for sequencing but if everything can go througth cv it would be better. Im still confuse with the set up though.
How easy would it be, say, to get 3 gates + velocity out of patterning 2 ? How many covariant should I set up ? IS it even possible ?
This one is a bit difficult for me to answer because I'm not familiar with Patterning. Plus a lot of iOS hosts are still very limited, only supporting a single stereo pair as outputs from an AU.

The best way to work out whether you can achieve what you want to do is to think of CoVariant as a software synth that outputs control voltages instead of audio. If you could achieve what you want using a synth AU then you should be able to do the same with CoVariant.

The easiest way to achieve three gate and velocity outputs would be to use AUM as a host since it can split MIDI data by note range. If you set up three instances of CoVariant, routed the MIDI output from Patterning to them and set the appropriate note ranges for each then they'd generate the gates and velocities.

A drum trigger AU that would assign specific notes to individual gates is another addition that I'm considering. Adding individual velocity outs was something I hadn't considered :doh: but it's an obvious plus now you mention it.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks for taking time to answer, really appreciate :)

Return to “Music Software”