WaveEdit to Serum?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

WaveEdit to Serum?

Post by Kummer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello all,

I know it's possible but how exactly do I get WaveEdit tables into Serum?
I AM THAT I AM

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Re: WaveEdit to Serum?

Post by Kummer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:53 am

No one?
I AM THAT I AM

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:27 pm

I haven't used WaveEdit but I've used a few other editors with Serum. Serum likes to have a regular amount of fixed-width waves (by "regular" I'm fairly certain it wants a power-of-two number of waves). Otherwise it tries to auto-detect, and from experience, it gets confused on waves with a lot of high-frequency coontent.

From this forum post:
Yup, "File> Save bank as" .wav file. Copy or import that file to your favorite wavetable synth. You get a wavetable file ("the bank") with 64 waves, one from each wave from 0-63. Each wave is 256 samples long.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:40 pm

thanks for the reply.

I have seen on other forums that users have successfully gotten waveedit tables into serum, unfortunately they didn't go into detail. I was just hoping someone on muffs might know how to do it easily.
I AM THAT I AM

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Export your wav file with several tables, and then drag the wav over one of Serum's waveforms. 3 drop areas will show up, drop it on the one labeled "constant framesize". I have had best luck with 1, 4, 16, 64, or 256 waves, but that might be superstition. I did have trouble loading in some Casio CZ wavetables I made using the other two import methods.

I have made wavetables in Renoise, at the command line, with Max, and with audioterm, but wavetables are just a collection of equally-sized single-cycle waveforms in a wav file.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 pm

thanks rjugemann, I've tried every import method on Serum. The problem I keep getting is that Serum is chopping up the waveforms and I would assume as you stated that is because Serum offers more waveform windows than WaveEdit is putting out (64). I was just hoping there was something I was overlooking or a more complex way of importing the wavetable into serum (maybe by telling serum I am only wanting to slice the wave file 64 times). I'll keep experimenting. Have the E352, but I would like to be able to use those wavetables in serum as well. Ableton's own wavetable synth seems to import them just fine for the most part.
I AM THAT I AM

wintchil
Wiggler Invader

Post by wintchil » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:33 pm

How many samples are the single cycle part of the wav? If 1024 for example you type that into the import bar then drag the full wavetable in and it should split it at intervals of 1024 samples. I believe thats the easiest way by memory.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Coming from wave edit there are 64 (I believe) single cycle waveforms being exported. I will have to check and see if serum allows me to import only 64.
I AM THAT I AM

wintchil
Wiggler Invader

Post by wintchil » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:28 pm

I looked into waveedits wavetable structure and each cycle is 256 samples long consisting of 64 single cycles. So you would need to input 256 into serum’s input bar and then drag the wavetable in and it will split it at intervals of 256 samples leaving you with 64 single cycle wavs in serum to process further.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:30 am

Ah, so that's what that bar is for, thanks wintchil! However, it still seems to be off by some amount as the further I go through the wavetable i notice the zero crossings start to shift. So in some latter single cycle frame I will get part of the frame from the single cycle before it and the current frames wave will be truncated and continue into the next one, and on and on. BUT this is the closest I've gotten thus far, I'll have to experiment.

Edit: Actually I think it was the wavetable it's self that was off. So this method seems to work perfectly, again thank you wintchil. And I think this was suggested above as well (maybe not as clearly), so... sorry for my ignorance :tu:
I AM THAT I AM

Return to “Music Software”