iPhone iPad APPs....etc.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:12 am

I had missed out on Borderlands, this thread was the first I've really heard of it. WOW! That is a great app that really utilizes its interface well.

As far as how 'good' they sound...
that's a pretty subjective judgment. But an iPad is just a computer. Many of the ways it's less powerful than desktops/laptops don't really have too much to do with audio.

backpullver
1-Post Wiggler

Post by backpullver » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 am

Hi, we are Backpullver Software. This is our first post and we just want to let you guys know about our Vatanator drum machine iOS app.
We recently released the iPhone version as Vatanator SX and some months ago - the iPad - Vatanator. It comes with 140 presets of vintage drum machine samples as well as with advanced MIDI integration and wireless connectivity. Here are the key features:

iOS 7.1 or later compatible
Record patterns in real-time with quantization, MIDI assignable
16/32 steps sequencer with advanced MIDI options
Fast loading of presets on the fly
Full MIDI implementation
Background audio
Audiobus, Audiobus Remote, Inter-App Audio and Ableton Link support
Ability to import samples via AudioShare, AudioCopy, Dropbox or iTunes Share
Real-time effects with XY pad, MIDI assignable and automation
Song arranger, ability to store a sequence of patterns and play them in order
8 channel mixer with volume control and mute/solo for any individual instrument

Here’s a short video with Vatanator SX for iPhone:

Hope Vatanator will be suitable for you. Let us know your thoughts!

Best,
Tsetso @ Vatanator

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:52 am

iOS 7.1 or later compatible
Glad to hear you gonna support us, who still on ios7 because reasons.
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

chockfullofthat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chockfullofthat » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm getting an iPad pro if Christmas goes as planned and I just picked up the A-01K blue tooth keyboard at proaudiostar for $150. I'm planning on making a 3-D printed iPad holder the fill fit on the thing if anyone is interested. Maybe I will start a new thread when the project is complete.

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:55 am

I have researched all I could with no luck. I would like to record CV and play it back from my iPad.

There seem not to be such app out there. My goal would be to save and reproduce sequences created with a Turing Machine. Or just any analogue CV source.

Any developers with hope for me ?

I am aware that modular levels are way too hot but with 1 or 2 VCAs I could tame this problem.

I imagine such an app could gain popularity.

10 Mh

EndangeredAudulusMark
Common Wiggler

Post by EndangeredAudulusMark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:48 pm

10 Miles High wrote:I have researched all I could with no luck. I would like to record CV and play it back from my iPad.

There seem not to be such app out there. My goal would be to save and reproduce sequences created with a Turing Machine. Or just any analogue CV source.

Any developers with hope for me ?

I am aware that modular levels are way too hot but with 1 or 2 VCAs I could tame this problem.

I imagine such an app could gain popularity.

10 Mh
You can do this with Audulus right now using the delay node, which can record up to 20 seconds of CVs (if you have a DC coupled interface) but you won't be able to save between loads - that will be a feature coming in Audulus 4. Let me know if you have any questions about Audulus mark@audulus.com :)

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm

I am interested in buying an Ipad. They are quite expensive, and I dont know which one to pick.

Whats the cheapest Ipad so I can use those music apps? Im scoring one 2nd hand.

And I have been thinking about getting an iphone 7. Is is worth the hassle? Ive used a few apps on my iphone 5. Though I liked them on the beginning and played with with for a few hours, but after that never used them again. Probably due to the iphone small interface...

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm

alexander92 wrote:I am interested in buying an Ipad. They are quite expensive, and I dont know which one to pick.

And I have been thinking about getting an iphone 7. Is is worth the hassle? Ive used a few apps on my iphone 5. Though I liked them on the beginning and played with with for a few hours, but after that never used them again. Probably due to the iphone small interface...
There is an ongoing push to update IOS apps to 64-bit. IOS 11 is the next major release, and will not run 32-bit apps at all..

So you want an iPad that can run 64-bit apps. The oldest model that I know of that can do that is iPad Air 2, made in 2014. So you don't want any iPad made before that.

iPhone 7 was the first model to have no headphone jack. A lot of people consider this a hassle. You will need to buy an adapter to use your usual iPhone headphones/ear buds.

apfEID
electro-vivisection

Post by apfEID » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
alexander92 wrote:I am interested in buying an Ipad. They are quite expensive, and I dont know which one to pick.

There is an ongoing push to update IOS apps to 64-bit. IOS 11 is the next major release, and will not run 32-bit apps at all..

So you want an iPad that can run 64-bit apps. The oldest model that I know of that can do that is iPad Air 2, made in 2014. So you don't want any iPad made before that.

iPhone 7 was the first model to have no headphone jack. A lot of people consider this a hassle. You will need to buy an adapter to use your usual iPhone headphones/ear buds.
The previous year's iPad Air is also 64 bit; personally I'm keeping mine on iOS 10 and upgrading to a 10.5" iPad Pro sometime after the iOS 11 public beta is out.

One downside to the original Air is that it does not support split view, only side view, so you can't split the screen in half to share apps, you can just have a tiny side bar.

The latest 9.7" iPads are pretty fast and good for how cheap they are. ($329 new at the low end.) It's pretty easy to end up with close to 32 gb of apps, if you're not fastidious about what you install, so maybe worth going for a larger size of an older model...

The adaptor is included with the phone, and is small enough that I carry it with me all the time (it lives in my front pocket) even though I almost never use it.

The newest iPads still have headphone jacks, fwiw.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://anthonysaunders.bandcamp.com/

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 am

The previous year's iPad Air is also 64 bit; personally I'm keeping mine on iOS 10 and upgrading to a 10.5" iPad Pro sometime after the iOS 11 public beta is out.

One downside to the original Air is that it does not support split view, only side view, so you can't split the screen in half to share apps, you can just have a tiny side bar.

The latest 9.7" iPads are pretty fast and good for how cheap they are. ($329 new at the low end.) It's pretty easy to end up with close to 32 gb of apps, if you're not fastidious about what you install, so maybe worth going for a larger size of an older model...

The adaptor is included with the phone, and is small enough that I carry it with me all the time (it lives in my front pocket) even though I almost never use it.

The newest iPads still have headphone jacks, fwiw.

Thanks appreciate the answers. I am planning to use it for music production solely and perhaps for live use later. I want to get rid of the computer. Will it actually work for that? What are your experiences from those who got an ipad? Does it get much use, and is it actually useable in the studio?

mattb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mattb » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Beatmaker 3 is soon coming out and it is really cool!

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:00 pm

alexander92 wrote: Thanks appreciate the answers. I am planning to use it for music production solely and perhaps for live use later. I want to get rid of the computer. Will it actually work for that? What are your experiences from those who got an ipad? Does it get much use, and is it actually useable in the studio?
It depends on what you use your computer for.

I can't replace my computer with my iPad because it's the file manager for my Octatrack, OP-1, etc. The updates for these devices are designed to be run from a computer, not iPad.

I've been pretty productive using my iPad for making music and recording it. There are people who have played lots of shows live with one, as well as used in the studio - some famous, some obscure.

Unifono0815
Common Wiggler

Post by Unifono0815 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 am

knifey wrote:
Pase wrote:Oh my!
Patterning and Samplr are great,
I'm in love :love:
Amazing. Check out Borderlands, for real.
After lusting for an Ipad for years, I finally bought one. Patterning, Samplr, Boderlands, Elastic drums. Wow. I'm really stunned. Those apps are amazing. Especially patterning. And fugue machine is really cool as well!

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:59 pm

10 Miles High wrote:I would like to record CV and play it back from my iPad.
what you can do is translate CV to MIDI and record that, for example with a QuNexus keyboard which has CV-MIDI and MIDI-CV. I've done that, but it's questionable because the setup is a bit complicated. For example, you have to use additional modules for bi-polar CV signals.

Personally I prefer Reaktor or XronoMorph on a PC (Reaktor has a Turing machine ensemble by the way), or one of those MIDI note/CC generators on iOS to feed CV into the modular synth.

In other words, not to try to record/playback CV, rather to integrate apps and PC software into the modular system. Using smartphones, tablets, etc. as additional modules. Seems easier to me to handle, makes more sense to me this way.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Can't say enough good things about Kymatica AUM. This app is singlehandedly getting me to use my ipad for music. It literally brings it all together. Makes it super easy to use the ipad like a sound module controlled from my Cirklon (via USB).

sine language
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sine language » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 am

CF3 wrote:Can't say enough good things about Kymatica AUM. This app is singlehandedly getting me to use my ipad for music. It literally brings it all together. Makes it super easy to use the ipad like a sound module controlled from my Cirklon (via USB).
Looks good, thanks for the heads up. Get my ipad tomorrow :tu:

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking to get an iPad to pair with my Eurorack system. I'm pretty sure it'll be an amazing complement but before I pull the trigger I'm missing the link between the two world - the audio interface.

What I would like to do - let me know if it wouldn't work.

- Process audio with the iPad (ie. add reverb). Getting independent tracks like 2 stereos and 2 mono from eurorack + 2 desktop syth + 1 guitar

- Use the iPad as a mixer

- Adding iPad synth and drum apps

- Using the iPad to sequence the modular (via midi)

- The audio interface output all audio

First of all, are the last iPad able to handle all that flowless ?
Then, what interface could do all that job between the modular and the iPad.?

I've seen so far the iConnectAUDIO4+ and the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD.
But I'm not sure it'll properly do the job, especially getting all those audios to the iPad (stereo ...).

What are you using yourself ?

Thanks !

tarmoog
Common Wiggler

Post by tarmoog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Xynthesizr App. I like it very much for generative stuff, especially for some subtle background pads or melody.

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:39 pm

CF3 wrote:Can't say enough good things about Kymatica AUM. This app is singlehandedly getting me to use my ipad for music. It literally brings it all together. Makes it super easy to use the ipad like a sound module controlled from my Cirklon (via USB).
Your post drove me to check this app out. Holy scheisse! This app was the missing link on my iPad. Thanks for the recommendation! What are you using as an interface?

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:31 pm

induktor wrote:
Your post drove me to check this app out. Holy scheisse! This app was the missing link on my iPad. Thanks for the recommendation! What are you using as an interface?
Missing link, indeed. :party:

No audio interface at the moment. Just straight out the headphone jack into my console. Which is kind of gangsta honestly. :roll: I'm eyeballing the iConnectAUDIO4+, mostly hoping I can find a cheaper used one somewhere. I really don't need another "interface" and this would strictly be for my ipad. But having 4 dedicated balanced outs would be awesome (especially all properly patched up to a bay)

As for MIDI and sequencing... I can come straight out of the my Cirklon's USB jack straight into the ipad (via a camera connector). Works really well, and with the AUM app I can route MIDI around efficiently (Cirklon has 6x 16 channels + clock outs and all that ish). iPad = soundmodule now. My only beef is, I max out the CPU pretty easy (ipad air 2). I also wish more apps were "plug ins" so I could run multiple instances. I'm looking STRAIGHT AT YOU iWAVESTATION :woah:

Love how you can insert FX on AUM channels. Makes processing samples fun.

:nana:

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:25 pm

CF3 wrote:
induktor wrote:
Missing link, indeed. :party:

No audio interface at the moment. Just straight out the headphone jack into my console. Which is kind of gangsta honestly. :roll: I'm eyeballing the iConnectAUDIO4+, mostly hoping I can find a cheaper used one somewhere. I really don't need another "interface" and this would strictly be for my ipad. But having 4 dedicated balanced outs would be awesome (especially all properly patched up to a bay)

As for MIDI and sequencing... I can come straight out of the my Cirklon's USB jack straight into the ipad (via a camera connector). Works really well, and with the AUM app I can route MIDI around efficiently (Cirklon has 6x 16 channels + clock outs and all that ish). iPad = soundmodule now. My only beef is, I max out the CPU pretty easy (ipad air 2). I also wish more apps were "plug ins" so I could run multiple instances. I'm looking STRAIGHT AT YOU iWAVESTATION :woah:

Love how you can insert FX on AUM channels. Makes processing samples fun.

:nana:
I'll have to hook my Cirklon up to this as well. Fun fun! Yeah, the iConnect device looks like the way to go for IOS integration. I picked up Audio Damage Grind and EOS 2 to compliment the setup. So awesome!

@realwiggler
Common Wiggler

Post by @realwiggler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

+1 for the iConnectAUDIO4+

best I've come across for ease of use and stability

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Any recommendations for quality effects on iphone/ipad? I'm looking to stick my phone in my mixer's Aux send for reverb, delay, etc.

Anything that can hang with the fancy hardware stuff?

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:44 pm

I picked up a used iConnectAUDIO2+ and it should arrive later this week.

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 pm

TXBDan wrote:Any recommendations for quality effects on iphone/ipad? I'm looking to stick my phone in my mixer's Aux send for reverb, delay, etc.

Anything that can hang with the fancy hardware stuff?
Flux:fx is my favorite. Tho not sure if it beats any of my dedicated studio hw.

Return to “Music Software”